• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Power?

King Phenomenon

I don't think the Chinese government jails people for criticizing the government because they simply want to exist... I think it's something more. I think they yearn to hang onto power, like it's something holy or divine to them.

I want to explore this lust for power.
You asked what is power to you? I answered

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Power is of two different kinds. The power to control, manipulate, coerce and worse things.

The other power is to liberate, maintain freedom, create civilization, and do constructive business.

Power of principle is the latter. While the power to do bad things has no principle, and no trustworthy motives.

Power is the potential to actualize and effect matters and events.

Deidre

Power is often seen as a bad thing. But, it really can be a positive, if we shift our thinking. ''I have the power to shift my thinking in this very moment.'' See? Power goes from a negative to a positive.

Maybe it's really just a neutral word and it depends how we wield it.

Straw Dog

What is power to you? Do you see it as something useful in itself, or is it a means to gain something else, such as riches, or love, or enjoyment..?

Is power the key to total happiness..? That with power, come all the other imaginable joys..? Like heaven on earth..? Total bliss..?
No, I don’t think that power equals pleasure or happiness. Some people are much happier playing in the mud rather than ruling a kingdom. Greater power also puts you at greater risk for harm and unhappiness. Power equals greater complexity, which is the antithesis of simple bliss.

The only logical use of power is to serve others. Power directed at serving oneself only inevitably leads to self-destruction. It may last for a spell but doesn’t ultimately resist the flow of reality.