1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is minimum wage?

Discussion in 'Family and Personal Living' started by Riders, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,284
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalism,Pagan,Zen
    I heard it went up to 12 bucks an hour is a company has more then 25 employees and 11 less the 25. has everyone complied are we really getting that as minimum wage? Its a huge hike.

Are fastfood places paying that amount just curious?

when it went up I think 5 to 6 bucks they started me at the old wage and said that because they have a high turn over rate , folks who start and quit a lot, so they start everyone out on the old wage, it was either the first 3 months or the first 6 months then change their wage to the new amount.

2. AT-AT

AT-AT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,931
    Religion:
    I finally figured out what direction I should go, when I studied the revelations of the Baha'i faith
    One thing to keep in mind is that if one is even a day under 18, minimum wage doesn't seem to apply, so they could get payed significantly less.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AT-AT

AT-AT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,931
    Religion:
    I finally figured out what direction I should go, when I studied the revelations of the Baha'i faith
    Actually, I stand corrected. Google says it's only a little less.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Enoch07

Enoch07 It's all a sick freaking joke.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,521
    Religion:
    Theistic Rationalist-Christian
    Minimum wage is the lowest amount you can offer to pay someone legally, aside from commission based and tip based work among a few other exceptions. Usually it is for low skill positions that require little to no education/training/experience. These jobs are usually given to young people who do not have much education/training/experience because they are young and haven't had time to develop these things yet.

You are not supposed to make a life long career in these starting positions. You are supposed to grow your education/training/experience while working these positions to move up to higher paid positions.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Riders

Riders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,284
    Religion:
    Unitarian Universalism,Pagan,Zen
    Thanks/

• Like Like x 1
  6. Labourwave

Ratings:
    +3,324
    Minimum wage is the legal minimum amount of money an employer can pay their employees as a wage. The law preserves the working class as a class (but not workers as individuals,) as it manages to sustain both the labourforce and the reserve army of labour.