• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Love ?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
In the macro: love is the desire to nurture someone(s) or something(s).

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Would love to hear your opinions theories and personal experiences on this question. So what is love Is it real? Is it fake? What's your opinion, what's your theory, what's your experience?

You would love to hear our opinion on love?

Beside that, love is ultimately a naturally adaptation of our brains. I believe its characteristics are reducible to the biology of humans.

For instance, romantic long lasting love is an adaptation to the requirement of long lasting committment. Mainly due to the fact that our young gene carriers take very long to become independent, and long term commitment of a man and a women increses the odds of their survival.

If our kids took two days to become independent, you would have probably never acquired that trait.

Ciao

- viole

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
You would love to hear our opinion on love?

Beside that, love is ultimately a naturally adaptation of our brains. I believe its characteristics are reducible to the biology of humans.

For instance, romantic long lasting love is an adaptation to the requirement of long lasting committment. Mainly due to the fact that our young gene carriers take very long to become independent, and long term commitment of a man and a women increses the odds of their survival.

If our kids took two days to become independent, you would have probably never acquired that trait.

Ciao

- viole

What about love at first sight? Is it just infatuation? What is the chemistry of love at first sight and how does it compare to long term commitment?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What about love at first sight? Is it just infatuation? What is the chemistry of love at first sight and how does it compare to long term commitment?

Well, yes. It could turn into a long term investment ot, at the other extreme, to a one night stand.

They both exist. In a delicate equilibrium. The first favors survivals of the genes of our helpless young carriers, the other to spread them without that investment (in case of men) or to find a more suitable genetic partner who is not necessarily the one who grows them (in case of a woman).

So, it is like a mathematical optimum problem.

Ciao

- viole

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Well, yes. It could turn into a long term investment ot, at the other extreme, to a one night stand.

They both exist. In a delicate equilibrium. The first favors survivals of the genes of our helpless young carriers, the other to spread them without that investment (in case of men) or to find a more suitable genetic partner who is not necessarily the one who grows them (in case of a woman).

So, it is like a mathematical optimum problem.

Ciao

- viole

And unrequited love? Or negative love: suffocating dominance or obsession? How do these fit in to the biological model?

jeff gordon

Would love to hear your opinions theories and personal experiences on this question. So what is love Is it real? Is it fake? What's your opinion, what's your theory, what's your experience?
baby dont hurt me dont hurt me. no more. WHAT IS LOVE? BABY DONT HURT ME DONT HURT ME NO MORE

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
And unrequited love? Or negative love: suffocating dominance or obsession? How do these fit in to the biological model?

The biological model? Easily. Do they fit better with some spiritual reality, otherwise?

Ciao

- viole

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
The biological model? Easily. Do they fit better with some spiritual reality, otherwise?

Ciao

- viole

I honestly don't know the biological model of love very well. But I feel like I'm taking too much of your time.

I wasn't intending to bring God into this discussion, BTW. But I understand why you may have expected me to do that.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I honestly don't know the biological model of love very well. But I feel like I'm taking too much of your time.

I wasn't intending to bring God into this discussion, BTW. But I understand why you may have expected me to do that.

No worry about my time. I try to respond to the best of my possibilities.

And feel free to bring God into the discussion. i am not here to discuss cookies recepies.

Which God by the way? There must be thousands.

Ciao

- viole

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
And feel free to bring God into the discussion. i am not here to discuss cookies recepies.

Which God by the way? There must be thousands.
"
God is love.
Love is blind.
God is Ray Charles.
"
... Richard Jeni

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The best description I have found is as follows:

"The final lesson is about the true meaning of love. I have said before that fear is the self-imposed block to the awareness of love's presence. When fear is released, love is revealed. And yet the true experience of love is beyond anything you can now imagine. It lies past all the images and symbols you have made to obscure love's call. And yet it is closer than you know, closer than your breath or even the silent whisper of love's longing for itself. And what is the secret that love has whispered into your half-closed ear, the distant echo that has haunted you so? You are the very essence of Love. This very moment, just as you are, in spite of all the preconceived ideas you have of yourself, love claims you and accepts you."

"You have forgotten who you are because in your fear of losing love you have witheld that which is your foundation. Love by its very nature is a gift that is freely given. And yet this gift is know only as it is given again. Only when love is breathed from one heart to another is it fully experienced. When love is witheld it is forgotten, and because you and love were born together, you are forgotten with her. She lies hidden within you beside the still forgotten memory of your truest Self. Though asleep and dreaming, she awaits the dawn when her name is called and she is again brought back to life. And the awakening of love is your awakening as well, so intimately linked, all from giving freely that which you are: the full awareness of love's presence. But this awakening process requires that you give up all the ways you have tried to limit and contain her."

"True, or unconditional, love is unaware of the strange demands you impose on your relationships. Love is the same for all. Your attempts to reserve love for specific relationships and then withold it from others is the very thing that has blocked your vision of love's presence. Give as love gives - just as the sun that gives its light to all who ask, or the sparrow that sings not for the one who listens, but for the song itself. When you give love, love is your reward. When you judge some people as worthy of your giving and other people as undeserving, then it is you who is undeserving; not because you have been judged by love but because you have forgotten love's law."

"You, in your essence are the foundation of unconditional love. The water you give refreshes the whole universe, for you are not separate from one part of the universe but are intimately linked to all. Let your gift be free, then. Let it flow from you and wash over all those you see, all those who cross your path. Do not think that you cannot still have relationships that are more involved than others. Involvement has nothing to do with love. There will always be those in your life with whom you share the deeper pulse of your thoughts and those whom you do not. But the love you give is the same for each of them. It is but the recognition of the very same life of which you are continually reborn."

"Love is a knowing, a pure understanding. It knows that all things are whole, regardless of their appearance or delusion, and it gives itself wholly, without judgement, without recognizing the difference between this relationship or that. It understands that there is only one real relationship and it is the one we all share, the Self that is beyond the thought or the idea of Love, the holy encounter of life with life. The secret of unconditional love is that we are all the same, holy beyond imagination. This is what the release of fear reveals. This is what you are all looking for. And this is what you will find when you open your heart to every element of creation."

From James Twyman, "Emissary of Light"

All, the best!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I do believe love is so ingrained into our system that it must in large part be genetic. Some kill over feeling unloved. OTOH, love drives us to do altruistic things whereas some will give up their life to protect others, and it is the apex of compassion.

So, how does it exactly work? I haven't a clue, but I sure know how good it feels when I am loved and when I love others.