• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God in General?

Orbit

I'm a planet
I, too, am a pantheist. The universe is very much a person, at least that's how it comes off to me. However, as for every particle or physical law, I am unsure that is pantheism, perhaps animism? A particle or a physical law, do either of them have a the property of "God" without the universe beside it?

To the extent that we take the pantheist dictum that the "universe is God" seriously, everything in it, including particles, is God. I agree that this is very similar to animism, but animism refers only to stuff in Earth's natural environment, not to the entire cosmos. Do you have a different definition of pantheism?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
To the extent that we take the pantheist dictum that the "universe is God" seriously, everything in it, including particles, is God. I agree that this is very similar to animism, but animism refers only to stuff in Earth's natural environment, not to the entire cosmos. Do you have a different definition of pantheism?

I don't see the particles alone are God, but everything as a whole is God. That there is no separation, monism is a very important aspect of pantheism.

Acintya_Ash

Bhakta
Interesting. I don't see God as a person, except as a metaphor. I see God in a pantheistic way, defining every particle and physical law as God itself. I'm leaning towards panentheism, but this still is very far from God as a person.

Anthropomorphizing God as a person just doesn't resonate with me--it's too much like the old guy with white beard sitting on a cloud.

Well i agree with your pantheistic view, but you don't have to deny the personal nature of God for that. I mean have you wondered about a Spiritual Realm (a Spiritual Universe), beyond this material Creation, where God would exist in his personal form?

The Sum of Awe

Well i agree with your pantheistic view, but you don't have to deny the personal nature of God for that. I mean have you wondered about a Spiritual Realm (a Spiritual Universe), beyond this material Creation, where God would exist in his personal form?

Pantheism says, the material "creation" IS God's form.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Inspired by a thread in Christianity DIR. I am interested in hearing what you believers in God actually envision God to be... A person? Does God have form? Etc.

Whenever I think of God, I always imagine an abstract ball of information, all of this existence is, at the most basic level, made of pure information in my opinion, and that is God. But instead, all of this information is just one being, experiencing it all at once. All of time and all of space all at one point in space and one point in time.

I think God is God to put it most simply. God has a nature and sense of will, but I still hesitate to use the word 'person'. I believe He is in and above all, so basically Panentheism. I do not believe God has a form, rather He is called light because He illumines the mind in knowing Him. He resides within us and yet even the heaven of heavens cannot contain His boundlessness.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

I think God is God to put it most simply. God has a nature and sense of will, but I still hesitate to use the word 'person'. I believe He is in and above all, so basically Panentheism. I do not believe God has a form, rather He is called light because He illumines the mind in knowing Him. He resides within us and yet even the heaven of heavens cannot contain His boundlessness.

Very interesting. I am just curious what it means to be above "all"? If there is something more than all, is it really all? How can there be more than "everything"?

Blackmarch

W'rkncacntr
Inspired by a thread in Christianity DIR. I am interested in hearing what you believers in God actually envision God to be... A person? Does God have form? Etc.

Whenever I think of God, I always imagine an abstract ball of information, all of this existence is, at the most basic level, made of pure information in my opinion, and that is God. But instead, all of this information is just one being, experiencing it all at once. All of time and all of space all at one point in space and one point in time.
The Abrahamic one is a person, at least all of my experiences point in that direction. However I believe his body and/or envirenment from which he presides is quite a bit more advanced than what we have.
how he experiences information and uses it I don't know, other than its on a different order (perhaps just multitudes greater or perhaps different altogether.)

An allegory i use in describing how he works is that its kind of like a light bulb when it's on- the lightbulb itself is has form and space but the light that eminates from it affects everything in the room.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I am interested in hearing what you believers in God actually envision God to be
God is the non-contingent and perpetual source of all things. God is being, and the entirety of truth. He is pure spirit, entirely good, omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent and unfathomable.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
G-d is Energy, from the micro to macro, the energy of atoms revolving to universe,
light , all frequencies including the electrical in our minds ...
All that is ....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
In the scheme of superlatives.....biggest, fastest, strongest, most intelligent and greatly experienced.
Coupled with the power of creation.....Almighty Creator.

Stacked deck.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God is a common term that defines life. The term God defines life itself. Who we are, what we are, how we are born, grow, and die, and is the source underlining how we think, what we think, feel, our motivations, caring for our children, being good parents, experiencing the act of creation. God is life.

I like my signature because Albert Whent describes that "God is in the food they ate, the water they drank, the air they breathed, the earth they trod and died on, the sleep they slept, and the dreams they drempt, the everywhere and the everything."

He isn't speaking of animism and pantheism, he says God (the Creator) is in the mundane things that nourishes us, the source of our birth--the water we drink, the place where we die--the earth we die on.

Some say God is love, well, we find love when we are living to our full potential, so I can see that. Some say God is the Creator, I can somewhat see that since the source of life is also life itself (something did not come from nothing), Nichiren Buddhist say life is the Mystic Law (which is the Wisdom of the Buddha), I see that in we find wisdom rather than just knowledge in how we live, interact with ourselves and others. Some say God is the universe, although very newagish, I can see that since He, if you like, is a part of everything.

I lean towards animism and a little of pantheism in their view of God except for in the Santeria faith, which I'm looking at, God or Olofin is a Creator. He gave birth to children, different parts of creation, water, sun, and so forth...and these parts/people--the Orishas--are embedded in Olofin (parents are part of their child and visa versa). So we see the Creator in creation (in a abrahamic wording).

Yemaja gave birth to the world. Her ashe-spirit--is of the water and we are born there. So, if I were to define God, I'd define Him through Yemaja for she is the parent that gives birth to life while "God" her parent, is part of her, being life itself.

Unfortunately, I cannot say this is how Santeria sees this 100 percent since I have not gone to my consultation until tomorrow. In general, we personify God so we can identify with Him.. but to take off all the stories, prophecies, et cetera... He's all there is--nothing exists outside of Him.

Awoon

My Mind Energy.