• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God as an entity?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not as concept, consciouness, pantheism, pathenism, animism, form/non form, everything, etc... but plain, ol' Entity/Being/Person-like.

Spirits exist, I know that. However, spirits, in my experience, is not just an internal experience, it is someone I have seen with my eyes and felt physically. It isn't just based on personal experience.

So, if God is a spirit what does he look like? The spirit I saw had jeans and a white t-shirt, was male and was walking kind of fast to the bedroom. He wasn't divine or anything like that. To our family, he came regularaly and it was pretty normal in the houses moved to.

So, that is how I see spirit as a deceased person and not an entity.

What is god as an entity? Is he a deceased person? Is "entity" the right word for God or would it be "spiritual wholeness in the heart" that you experience instead?

This is to people who believe god is an entity not Christ (who I believe is a deceased spirit) and not mind/consciouness/one/all since that does not define an entity/being but, I guess, something else?

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
image.jpeg

God is God. Formless or not, He is all creation in a form we can understand (eg Vishnu).

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yep. God (Brahman) is the ultimate reality in Vedanta.

In your opinion, do you see god as an entity/being rather than ultimate reality/everything?

For example, I believe god is life. God is in everything. However, I cannot understand god as a being nor define him as such. Can you imagine god as a being/entity and if so, how would you define who "he" is?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Not as concept, consciouness, pantheism, pathenism, animism, form/non form, everything, etc... but plain, ol' Entity/Being/Person-like.

Spirits exist, I know that. However, spirits, in my experience, is not just an internal experience, it is someone I have seen with my eyes and felt physically. It isn't just based on personal experience.

So, if God is a spirit what does he look like? The spirit I saw had jeans and a white t-shirt, was male and was walking kind of fast to the bedroom. He wasn't divine or anything like that. To our family, he came regularaly and it was pretty normal in the houses moved to.

So, that is how I see spirit as a deceased person and not an entity.

What is god as an entity? Is he a deceased person? Is "entity" the right word for God or would it be "spiritual wholeness in the heart" that you experience instead?

This is to people who believe god is an entity not Christ (who I believe is a deceased spirit) and not mind/consciouness/one/all since that does not define an entity/being but, I guess, something else?
I guess you are asking for the objective experience of God (assuming there is one)?
Since no one has ever objectively experienced a God, doesn't that answer the question?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I guess you are asking for the objective experience of God (assuming there is one)?
Since no one has ever objectively experienced a God, doesn't that answer the question?

No. Not an experience but an actual entity/being. For example, if I wanted to describe my sister, I wouldn't describe her as an experience, consciousness, form, mind, spirit/heart. I'd describe her as a human being, who she is: flesh and bone, spirit, and mind. I'd explain her personality and my personal interaction with her when she visits me every once in a blue moon.

On another domain, if I am explaining the spirit I saw, it is not just an internal experience. It wasn't from the mind only, or form/no form, or anything only like that. I actually saw a spirit (a deceased person) and our family have actually seen and physically experienced spirits on different properties we moved to.

So, we can actually describe who the spirit is not by our personal experiences but also by his nature, how he looks, what he was doing, his emotions, and his interaction with us. We knew this because it incorporated all of our senses.

In the case of God as an entity rather than all the above, since he isn't a spirit as I so described, and he isn't a deceased person, how do you define him?

Does any religion define him as an entity/being? If so, how do they describe her/him?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Well, in my non-dual thinking (God and creation are not-two), there is no separation. The universe is a play where he plays all the roles. Do I want to call that an entity?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
No. Not an experience but an actual entity/being. For example, if I wanted to describe my sister, I wouldn't describe her as an experience, consciousness, form, mind, spirit/heart. I'd describe her as a human being, who she is: flesh and bone, spirit, and mind. I'd explain her personality and my personal interaction with her when she visits me every once in a blue moon.

On another domain, if I am explaining the spirit I saw, it is not just an internal experience. It wasn't from the mind only, or form/no form, or anything only like that. I actually saw a spirit (a deceased person) and our family have actually seen and physically experienced spirits on different properties we moved to.

So, we can actually describe who the spirit is not by our personal experiences but also by his nature, how he looks, what he was doing, his emotions, and his interaction with us. We knew this because it incorporated all of our senses.

In the case of God as an entity rather than all the above, since he isn't a spirit as I so described, and he isn't a deceased person, how do you define him?

Does any religion define him as an entity/being? If so, how do they describe her/him?
I don't believe it is possible then . . . since no one has ever seen, met, or known a physical God

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Well, in my non-dual thinking (God and creation are not-two), there is no separation. The universe is a play where he plays all the roles. Do I want to call that an entity?

You can. That is somewhat like calling my sister an not a human being because she is part of humanity and nature. It is true, she is part of humanity and nature. Calling her human doesn't mean I'm saying she is separate. We each have our unique identity. God should be no exception?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
In your opinion, do you see god as an entity/being rather than ultimate reality/everything?

For example, I believe god is life. God is in everything. However, I cannot understand god as a being nor define him as such. Can you imagine god as a being/entity and if so, how would you define who "he" is?
Yes, i do. As a Vishishtadvaitin (one of the traditions of Vedanta) i believe God is a Personal God. He is pure consciousness, and while there are impersonal aspects of God, he is the observer of everything. God can be an entity. There have been MANY times he came to earth to set things right, Like Rama and Krishna. Krishna is pure consciousness in a human form. So both. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, i do. As a Vishishtadvaitin (one of the traditions of Vedanta) i believe God is a Personal God. He is pure consciousness, and while there are impersonal aspects of God, he is the observer of everything. God can be an entity. There have been MANY times he came to earth to set things right, Like Rama and Krishna. Krishna is pure consciousness in a human form. So both. :)

Oh Gosh. That went over my head. I'm not familar with Hindu context; so, you'll have to excuse the language. When God came down to earth, was he a human being like us or a spirit like I described my family and I saw? Does consciouness mean mind/awareness? If so, aren't we all consciousness?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh Gosh. That went over my head. I'm not familar with Hindu context; so, you'll have to excuse the language. When God came down to earth, was he a human being like us or a spirit like I described my family and I saw? Does consciouness mean mind/awareness? If so, aren't we all consciousness?
Ok. God has many many incarnations. Rama was birthed by his mother, so he is still human, but is still God also. Not fully. Krishna is. the pic i showed you was Vishnu about to turn into a baby Krishna, and those people watching were his intended parents. Parashurama is an incarnation of Vishnu, but he does not know it. Consciousness or not, if you saw either them, they would radiate Sat-chit-ananda 'Existence, Consciousness, and Bliss'. Which is Brahman itself. In Vedanta, Consciousness created matter, not the other way round that western scientists say. Consciousness does mean mind/awareness, as we have 'sentience' because of our Atman. Our soul. Our atman is a part of God (there are different interpretations on the nature of the relationship of God and soul) and our atman is our true nature. Yes, we are consciousness, all is. It's just that some can exhibit that consciousness. An ape doesn't have the level of intelligence of Humans, we have the ability to use it more. Being Human is a blessing. We can realise God. An atom, germ, anything has consciousness, because all things are Brahman. Brahman is pure consciousness. whew that's a lot of posting. I'm still new to this though, so if you want me to expand on this, i'll try my best. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Ok. God has many many incarnations. Rama was birthed by his mother, so he is still human, but is still God also. Not fully. Krishna is. the pic i showed you was Vishnu about to turn into a baby Krishna, and those people watching were his intended parents. Parashurama is an incarnation of Vishnu, but he does not know it. Consciousness or not, if you saw either them, they would radiate Sat-chit-ananda 'Existence, Consciousness, and Bliss'. Which is Brahman itself. In Vedanta, Consciousness created matter, not the other way round that western scientists say. Consciousness does mean mind/awareness, as we have 'sentience' because of our Atman. Our soul. Our atman is a part of God (there are different interpretations on the nature of the relationship of God and soul) and our atman is our true nature. Yes, we are consciousness, all is. It's just that some can exhibit that consciousness. An ape doesn't have the level of intelligence of Humans, we have the ability to use it more. Being Human is a blessing. We can realise God. An atom, germ, anything has consciousness, because all things are Brahman. Brahman is pure consciousness. whew that's a lot of posting. I'm still new to this though, so if you want me to expand on this, i'll try my best. :)

I'll have to think on this more. I am completely confused on how to interpret consciouness (I think I saw a video on it not to long ago; can't remember where it is) but I think the woman was comparing consciouness in levels. However, the way she explained it does sound like it could create anything. So, I honestly don't know what consciousness is if not mind, thought, or awareness. Since Atman is soul, I dont think that is consciousness either?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll have to think on this more. I am completely confused on how to interpret consciouness (I think I saw a video on it not to long ago; can't remember where it is) but I think the woman was comparing consciouness in levels. However, the way she explained it does sound like it could create anything. So, I honestly don't know what consciousness is if not mind, thought, or awareness. Since Atman is soul, I dont think that is consciousness either?
Let me explain. Brahman (God) Is infinite, Omnipotent, omniscient, all omnis. Purusha (Conciousness) and Shakti (Power) are the two attributes that Hindus talk about. Those two become Brahman. Vishnu is purusha, and Lakshmi is Shakti. Now, Atman is a part of God, Brahman. Don't think of the Abrahamic version of soul. Our soul is consciousness, our ability to perform actions. Think of consciousness as the ability to think, to make out the world. Our atman is responsible for that. Get it? Brahman creates and destroys things like how we create and destroy dreams. Except in my tradition (sampradaya) our universe and all reality is real, not a dream (illusion) of Brahman. That's what Advaitins think. Watch this. Spiritual Bee has many answers for your confusion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Vibrations! That's what it was.
Let me explain. Brahman (God) Is infinite, Omnipotent, omniscient, all omnis. Purusha (Conciousness) and Shakti (Power) are the two attributes that Hindus talk about. Those two become Brahman. Vishnu is purusha, and Lakshmi is Shakti. Now, Atman is a part of God, Brahman. Don't think of the Abrahamic version of soul. Our soul is consciousness, our ability to perform actions. Think of consciousness as the ability to think, to make out the world. Our atman is responsible for that. Get it? Brahman creates and destroys things like how we create and destroy dreams. Except in my tradition (sampradaya) our universe and all reality is real, not a dream (illusion) of Brahman. That's what Advaitins think. Watch this. Spiritual Bee has many answers for your confusion.

I am sorry, I don't understand at all. All I understand so far is Brahman is made up of consciousness (the ability to think) and power. The ability for consciousness to do anything is through Atman. Atman is the ability to perform actions.

So, Brahman is God who's nature is power, our ability to think, and ability to perform actions?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Vibrations! That's what it was.
Yes! Brahman is pure Sat-Chit-ananda, Existence, Consciousness, and Bliss. The ultimate reality, the reason everything exists! Our actions are our own, we have free will, but karma and all that jazz plays a part of our life. (eg good and bad experiences) Brahman is existence itself. Think of gravity, but with a consciousness, all pervading, inside every atom, matter is the result of consciousness.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes! Brahman is pure Sat-Chit-ananda, Existence, Consciousness, and Bliss. The ultimate reality, the reason everything exists! Our actions are our own, we have free will, but karma and all that jazz plays a part of our life. (eg good and bad experiences) Brahman is existence itself. Think of gravity, but with a consciousness, all pervading, inside every atom, matter is the result of consciousness.

Atma would be the highest vibration and karma influences those vibrations?