• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Is An Engineer?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If you make it worse, then this creates even more opportunity to make it better.

The best products are the ones you don't think about.
Consider the lowly refrigerator.
In any home, for any model of any brand of any age,
you walk up to it & you instantly know what to do.
They'll usually work flawlessly for a good decade
without any maintenance.

At GM Truck & Bus I designed a very complex air
brake control system. Installing the conventional system
on a truck was like brain surgery. Installing mine was like
getting a cold one from the fridge.
you must be an exception

as a toolmaker I get to rebuild and redesign what someone lese thought a die set should be
omg

I have rebuilt sooooooooo many tools and weld fixtures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and what really gripes me?.........
the companies that build the tool get paid thousands more than I do

that one weld cell in particular.........$250,000
and I got paid $16per hr to rebuild a better design (6wks with other chores inbetween)

I could go on at great length.......

tth1119

I recently watched this -- like about a week ago. If its too complicated for your assistant there are some others on youtube about making springs at home with basic tools. Maybe if you have your helper make a spring for use in something then they'll start to grasp the concept a little better.

Springs. I could have a lot of fun with those. Wouldn't it be fun to make a trampoline out of slinkies? Or switch your mattress springs to slinky springs, lol. Or would you rather take one of the really coiled up ones and replace the springs in your bed with that? It would be like turning your bed into a trampoline. Its great for if you drink too much and realize the person you brought home from the bar needs to go. Just jump on the bed and out they go. What would be even better is if you can set up both types of springs and aim them towards an open window or a door, now that would be funny.

Here is a question I've asked quite a few people. If anyone wants to throw in an answer - -You work on 60th floor of 100 story building. You walk into your office and find a bomb sitting on your desk. It reads 90 seconds and is counting down. What do you do?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Here is a question I've asked quite a few people. If anyone wants to throw in an answer - -You work on 60th floor of 100 story building. You walk into your office and find a bomb sitting on your desk. It reads 90 seconds and is counting down. What do you do?
You either turn the bomb off or throw it into the building that's across the street. If you throw it into the building that's across the street without too much hesitation the occupants of that building will have approximately 60 seconds to decide what to do next.

tth1119

You either turn the bomb off or throw it into the building that's across the street. If you throw it into the building that's across the street without too much hesitation the occupants of that building will have approximately 60 seconds to decide what to do next.

If the building next door wasn't occupied then that wouldn't be a half bad idea. And the small chance someone could make that throw, assuming a window was open on both buildings to make a throw. When I answered this question before I asked what time of day it was, what the building was made of, what the weather was like, and if there was anything to shield the bomb that you could get together quickly to direct the blast outwards. Sit the bomb on the window or by the window, don't let it fall, and direct it out that way, away from where anyone else can get hurt.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Option #1:
A) Yell to everyone that there's a bomb, & to evacuate ASAP.
B) Tell'm to tell others.
C) Do all this as you run to the stair case to head down & out.

Option #2:
Do A & B from option #1.
Teleport at least several blocks away to the nearest BBQ joint.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Two of my kids are engineers, as is a brother. One is a nerd, but the other one ain't. I have no idea what they do, ceptin' the brother likes to build things. Some work, some don't.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
e8233c19bb276b0289e41c202ad57d78.jpg

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing that seems evident about engineers, it's one of those occupations that, when they screw up, they screw up big.

maxresdefault.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One thing that seems evident about engineers, it's one of those occupations that, when they screw up, they screw up big.

maxresdefault.jpg
I recall a bridge in Germany that had a height mismatch
in the middle.
But this photo looks fake. The angle of the Sun (based
on shadows) would likely have it reflected in the white
car's lower right windshield.
Also an error of this magnitude would've been discovered
& addressed before being only a few feet apart. Even
civil engineers aren't that dumb.

I just noticed that the bridge shadow appears
to be a different angle from the other shadows.

Last edited: