• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a syncretic religion?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hmmm, I wouldn't consider Sikhism to be a syncretic religion, although it is a common misconception due to having some Sufi and Bhakti saints as "bhagats" (devotees) whose hymns are included in the Śrī Gurū Granth Sāhib Jī.

However, syncretic like Christian Wicca for example?

Not really; Sikhism has different holy texts and theologies to both of these religions - for example, not accepting Muhammad as the last prophet of God nor taking the Quran as the final book of God take it apart from Islam, and not believing the Vedas or believing in avatārs set it apart from Hinduism.

GabrielWithoutWings

Hmmm, I wouldn't consider Sikhism to be a syncretic religion, although it is a common misconception due to having some Sufi and Bhakti saints as "bhagats" (devotees) whose hymns are included in the Śrī Gurū Granth Sāhib Jī.

However, syncretic like Christian Wicca for example?

Not really; Sikhism has different holy texts and theologies to both of these religions - for example, not accepting Muhammad as the last prophet of God nor taking the Quran as the final book of God take it apart from Islam, and not believing the Vedas or believing in avatārs set it apart from Hinduism.

I'm aware of that. That was my whole point in the parenthetical that followed.

Would you call the Bahai faith syncretic or no?

GabrielWithoutWings

I don't think I would.

To me syncretism boils down to joining two or more religions and philosophies as opposed to making their own.

I think we're both right and both wrong, depending on point of view.

Not that it matters. If you're a syncretic adherent, you're already rules-bendy anyway. :D

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't think I would.

To me syncretism boils down to joining two or more religions and philosophies as opposed to making their own.
I would have to disagree (with note of semantics). To me a syncretic religion is when a new path is born out of the melting pot. Baha'i or UU, Christian Wicca... not quite. JMHO and ymmv.