• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a Prophet?

This is something I'm a bit confused over, and would like some clarification, but, in Judaism, what is a Prophet?, before, being raised in essentially a secular home (my Mum's from a Jewish background, but, is more Atheist than anything), I always assumed a Prophet was someone who had a vision(s) of the future, but, from some things I've read online (like this forum), and, from reading parts of Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan's 'Meditation and the Bible', it seems to be more than just have visions of the future like a clairvoyant or psychic might. Is there more to a Prophet than having visions?, would it be comparable to a Buddhist achieving Nirvana or would they be took different things?.

Thanks very much for any help.

David.

Levite

Higher and Higher
This is something I'm a bit confused over, and would like some clarification, but, in Judaism, what is a Prophet?, before, being raised in essentially a secular home (my Mum's from a Jewish background, but, is more Atheist than anything), I always assumed a Prophet was someone who had a vision(s) of the future, but, from some things I've read online (like this forum), and, from reading parts of Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan's 'Meditation and the Bible', it seems to be more than just have visions of the future like a clairvoyant or psychic might. Is there more to a Prophet than having visions?, would it be comparable to a Buddhist achieving Nirvana or would they be took different things?.

It's a good question, David, as this is a hard concept for Anglophones, who have a very different set of associations with the word "prophet."

As I am sure you know, "prophet" is used to translate the Hebrew navi. But the two terms are really not at all equivalent. A prophet is indeed someone who has visions of the future, or someone who speaks with God.

A navi is not merely someone with a vision of the future-- many nevi'im never had visions of the future-- nor is it merely someone who speaks with God-- we hold that God can and may speak with anyone, and doing so does not make them a navi.

A navi is someone, first and foremost, who has been given a message by God to disseminate publicly, usually of overarching social and religious importance, and sometimes other specific tasks. A navi is also usually gifted with ruach hakodesh (which literally translates as "holy spirit," but these days we try not to translate it, as that phrase in English has a very different, very Christian, set of associations that of course are lacking in the Hebrew): they have been given a greater connection to the outpouring of shefa (Divine energy: it constantly flows from God's center to all parts of creation. Some of us get more, some less, and one can draw more to oneself by self-purification, righteousness, focus and devotion, etc. But God can also spontaneously give a great outpouring of it to someone), and along with it, the authority from God to work wonders, call forth miracles, and be an agent of Heaven to do things like anoint kings, priests, and other prophets, and to seek out the will of God in certain matters. This high level of ruach hakodesh, combined with the messages and tasks given by God, describes the state of having nevu'ah: what we cumbersomely translate as "prophecy."

Prophets were, generally speaking, not diviners and fortune-tellers, but rather, social agitators, and voices of religious reform. The wonders they worked were in service of those causes-- the miracles being, in essence, side effects of their real jobs.

I say were, because we believe that there are no more nevi'im. The last of them were Ezra and Nehemiah, and there will be no more, at least until mashiach comes, and some say perhaps not even then (though I personally think mashiach will bring a new age of nevu'ah). People still are capable of speaking with God, but God does not send public messages anymore. Likewise, holy men with great focus and devotion can indeed accrue enough shefa to have a kind of ruach hakodesh, but it is not at all to the level of nevu'ah.

1am1ion

excellent answer
"navigate" the future and gods word

i have yet a futher idea which is very unpopular
that the navi are fallen angels whom god gives a second chance to to redeem themselves through
devotional service to him.
they know the future because theyve already lived it, the 26, ooo yr cycle being template which repeats.

This explanation wont cut it with fundamentalists
but 1 have no problem gaining interest amongst mystics.

Ben Masada

Thanks very much for any help.

David.

Shalom David, a Prophet in Judaism is the one who speaks FOR God. Kind of invested with the authority to speak FOR God to the People, or to the King, or to the nations in general.

A prophet, besides his profound spiritual character, he had to study to be some kind of an expert in the vocabulary and well versed with original ideas on how to transmit the will of God, which he usually would acquire through dreams or a vision, which is achieved during the lucid phase of the dream. (Numb. 12:6)

At the time of Samuel and Elijah they maintained schools specialized in the making of prophets. Most prophets were local ones to guide the people or the king according to God's will. But we had prophets who would deal with other nations, as did Jonah in Nineveh, the capital of Assyria, and Isaiah did in Samaria, the capital of Israel, the Kingdom of the North.

That's the main function of the Jewish Prophet: To speak FOR God and not with God. "With" God would give off an anthropomorphic idea of God, when the real God, the Almighty, Creator of the universe, is Incorporeal. Incorporeality does not exhibit human characteristics or speak with anyone as a man speaks with another, although angels and even God Himself did speak with man but in a dream or vision, when everything is possible. (Numb. 12:6)

Now, to predict the future, it could happen as a result either of inspiration or experience based in observation of the signs of the times and knowledge of History. But such a requisite is never to be taken as priority in the identification of a Prophet in Israel.

Last edited:
It's a good question, David, as this is a hard concept for Anglophones, who have a very different set of associations with the word "prophet."

As I am sure you know, "prophet" is used to translate the Hebrew navi. But the two terms are really not at all equivalent. A prophet is indeed someone who has visions of the future, or someone who speaks with God.

A navi is not merely someone with a vision of the future-- many nevi'im never had visions of the future-- nor is it merely someone who speaks with God-- we hold that God can and may speak with anyone, and doing so does not make them a navi.

A navi is someone, first and foremost, who has been given a message by God to disseminate publicly, usually of overarching social and religious importance, and sometimes other specific tasks. A navi is also usually gifted with ruach hakodesh (which literally translates as "holy spirit," but these days we try not to translate it, as that phrase in English has a very different, very Christian, set of associations that of course are lacking in the Hebrew): they have been given a greater connection to the outpouring of shefa (Divine energy: it constantly flows from God's center to all parts of creation. Some of us get more, some less, and one can draw more to oneself by self-purification, righteousness, focus and devotion, etc. But God can also spontaneously give a great outpouring of it to someone), and along with it, the authority from God to work wonders, call forth miracles, and be an agent of Heaven to do things like anoint kings, priests, and other prophets, and to seek out the will of God in certain matters. This high level of ruach hakodesh, combined with the messages and tasks given by God, describes the state of having nevu'ah: what we cumbersomely translate as "prophecy."

Prophets were, generally speaking, not diviners and fortune-tellers, but rather, social agitators, and voices of religious reform. The wonders they worked were in service of those causes-- the miracles being, in essence, side effects of their real jobs.

I say were, because we believe that there are no more nevi'im. The last of them were Ezra and Nehemiah, and there will be no more, at least until mashiach comes, and some say perhaps not even then (though I personally think mashiach will bring a new age of nevu'ah). People still are capable of speaking with God, but God does not send public messages anymore. Likewise, holy men with great focus and devotion can indeed accrue enough shefa to have a kind of ruach hakodesh, but it is not at all to the level of nevu'ah.

Shalom David, a Prophet in Judaism is the one who speaks FOR God. Kind of invested with the authority to speak FOR God to the People, or to the King, or to the nations in general.

A prophet, besides his profound spiritual character, he had to study to be some kind of an expert in the vocabulary and well versed with original ideas on how to transmit the will of God, which he usually would acquire through dreams or a vision, which is achieved during the lucid phase of the dream. (Numb. 12:6)

At the time of Samuel and Elijah they maintained schools specialized in the making of prophets. Most prophets were local ones to guide the people or the king according to God's will. But we had prophets who would deal with other nations, as did Jonah in Nineveh, the capital of Assyria, and Isaiah did in Samaria, the capital of Israel, the Kingdom of the North.

That's the main function of the Jewish Prophet: To speak FOR God and not with God. "With" God would give off an anthropomorphic idea of God, when the real God, the Almighty, Creator of the universe, is Incorporeal. Incorporeality does not exhibit human characteristics or speak with anyone as a man speaks with another, although angels and even God Himself did speak with man but in a dream or vision, when everything is possible. (Numb. 12:6)

Now, to predict the future, it could happen as a result either of inspiration or experience based in observation of the signs of the times and knowledge of History. But such a requisite is never to be taken as priority in the identification of a Prophet in Israel.

Thanks very much for both your answers, that helps me understand a lot more :).