• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What instrument do you play?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I don't play any at the moment, but I do want to learn percussion (drums, bongos, tamborines, etc.) and perhaps the Sitar or Shruti box.

How about you?

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can "play" the guitar.

I had a few years of lessons, but I use the word "play" very loosely because I'm absolutely terrible at it in reality. I can read music so technically if given enough time to practice, I can play a song in a way that, at minimum, won't hurt the person's ears.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Piano, but like two or three melodies.

Taught by youtube xD. Actually I was very close to finish learning the turkish march. I always get distracted before fully learning it and have to start practicing all over again in the season I decide to go at it again.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I knew a little about guitar at one point, but don't think I could manage a thing on it any more.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
TriciaGillespie-500+Miles+with+A+Kazoo.jpg

Alceste

Vagabond
In order of competency (expert / teacher to novice):

Guitar, fiddle, piano, mandolin, ukulele, percussion (bodhran, djembe, dumbek, etc), Celtic harp, hammered dulcimer, penny whistle, Native flute, cittern, didgeridoo, accordion, Irish flute, bones.

Singing probably fits in there somewhere - choral arrangements, harmony vocals, lead vocals, etc.

No brass.

Hi, I play the piano, but would need to refresh my repertoire.
But since I am the only one who listens to my playing, perfection is not so important.

I think the ability to make music is a wonderful gift from God.

Love, LovingChild

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In order of competency (expert / teacher to novice):

Guitar, fiddle, piano, mandolin, ukulele, percussion (bodhran, djembe, dumbek, etc), Celtic harp, hammered dulcimer, penny whistle, Native flute, cittern, didgeridoo, accordion, Irish flute, bones.

Singing probably fits in there somewhere - choral arrangements, harmony vocals, lead vocals, etc.

No brass.

You can actually play a didgeridoo? Like, properly? Impressive.

apophenia

I play sitar, which I began when I was 16 and had lessons with an indian musician in Sydney (early 70s). About the same time I began teaching myself guitar and bass, and bought the first reel-to-reel sound-on-sound tape machine I ever saw. And the first synthesiser (a Roland SH-2) to appear in my local music shop.

And then I invented psychedelic 'world music'. :D
I also play hand drums (mainly dirubaki), but not often now, because I live in a block of apartments with terrible sound-proofing.

In 1979 I wrote a small sequencer program in machine code running on a Rockwell AIM65 microcontroller, and hooked it up to my minimoog. That changed everything.

Mostly nowadays I do everything synthetically. I use Fruity Loops ( a fine piece of software which does most everything ) and Adobe Audition for wave editing/multitracking. I get a big kick out of writing bass lines which sound just like me, only better. And being able to write horn sections is the coolest thing ever ( Wayne Shorter is GOD . So was Joe Zawinul. Weather Report remain my favourite band of all time.)

I really miss writing scores for fringe dance/theatre, which was the best time I ever had with music, apart from a year in a fully soundproofed studio which I built with two friends in a house we rented together ( a guitarist and a drummer - I played bass and wrote synth grooves). We didn't sleep much that year. Too much paper in our diet. We developed the music later made famous by Chemical Brothers and Tool, but we did it first, and at the same time ! LOL :cool:

Lately, I spend time writing very tasty loops which would suit a very inventive vocalist or instrumentalist(s), who I have not yet met, nor am likely to, since I spend so much time on RF. :facepalm:

It is a cruel fate that I am not famous and mega-wealthy.:sad4:

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I miss my guitar. I had to give it up because I kept getting repetitious stress injuries from it. :(

apophenia

I miss my guitar. I had to give it up because I kept getting repetitious stress injuries from it. :(

I was told by my doctor that if I didn't stop playing guitar ( 4 - 8 hours a day at that time) that I would cripple myself. I couldn't use my left arm at all. ( 10 years ago). I refused to believe that and invented my own physio rehab regimen. It worked.

Alexander technique may be a solution for you, if you can find a good practitioner.

Now I'm doing physio to cure the shoulder damage done with this damn keyboard and mouse !

Still, it could be worse. I could be a piano player in a marching band.

Alceste

Vagabond
You can actually play a didgeridoo? Like, properly? Impressive.

Circular breathing, check. Rhythm and ornamentation, not awesome. I can't play anything "properly". The better you get, the worse you realize you are compared to the best there is. Dunning Kruger effect in action.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Circular breathing, check. Rhythm and ornamentation, not awesome. I can't play anything "properly". The better you get, the worse you realize you are compared to the best there is. Dunning Kruger effect in action.

Meh. Still impressive. I can never get the breathing right, which pretty much makes the rest redundant. Do you know what part of Australia it comes from? Didgeridoo is not the real term for them...it's a generic term whacked on them. Aboriginals don't have a common language.

Erm...you probably know this already, right?