• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if there was no religion in 500 years time...

spiritually inclined

i'm sort of an atheist/mystic myself...I don't really care what people believe 500 yrs. from now so long as they are moral and humane. The same is true today. Having a more scientific world might stop religious hate, but it wouldn't stop hate in general......James

arthra

Baha'i
I think many religions are going through a period of stress as never before and some of them may begin to collapse in time.. this will not necesarily mean though that atheism as such will be so dominant... There may be various reasons for this...culture and social factors could play a part.

Consider the Soviet Union where atheism was the supreme philosophy of the Communist Party and the power of the state was used to suppress and oppress religion... eventually some religion was allowed albeit coopted...and after eighty years of Communist rule, religion has re-emerged.

So i don't see atheism as a major force in five hundred years if it could barely perpetrate itself after eighty years in the former Soviet state through a most brutal suppression of religion.

- Art

logician

500 years from now there still will be religious zealots saying Jesus' second coming is imminent.

Just like they've done for the past 500.

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
I can't see anything particulary amiss with an Atheist world community. Whether or not it would be any more peaceful is a mute point. In order for that to happen, the neo-cortex would have to have predominance in brain function. As it stands, we are largely goverened by our emotions, which rise out of the primitive lower brain, or limbic system. There are far more neural pathways from the limbic to the cortex, than loopbacks from the cortex to the limbic. A mere 500 years is nothing in evoultionary terms, so I think the world would just be as difficult to live in as it is today. Humans will remain in the grip of emotional fears and excesses.

Melissa G

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Science damn you! From the go god go episode in south park. In 500 years time, atheism takes over the world, how would you feel if in 500 years time everyone was atheist, including YOU,

Give and answer as if you know, from now.

I would be annoyed, VERY! My lovely hindu faith brought down by atheism.

Hmmm. Even if 500 years from now the whole world has been taken over by atheism, and I'm an atheist, God will still exist whether we believe He does or not.
If I was an atheist 500 years from now I think I'd feel empty and alone.

capslockf9

The OP asks you to engineer one in a thought experiment.:peace:

The ego is a powerfull force. It has lead many into a distorted reality. This nervous activity has produced much suffering to mankind. It has created religion, nationalities, races, etc. all out of fear.
5000 years from now we still will not know everything. And becuase we will not know everything; the nervous will conjure myths in an attempt to quash their anxiety. 5000 years from now we we still have to deal with ego-being.

Unless some kind of shake-up and reconfiguration of our neurons and their firings occurs. Propagtion in the energy field that produces us has fluctuated and will fluctuate again. This field produces matter and mind also it produces dreams, thoughts, memories and emotions. The next deviation in fluctuation will awaken many of us. They will see the light. They will know we are light.

If not we will continue with fear and its offspring- killings, nations, stealing, races, relinquishment to emotions, , indifference toward nature, religions, etc..

storm2020

Unfortunatly i don't believe atheism will ever happen on a grand scale because so many people simply want to believe that there is something more to life than this, some deep meaning as to why we are here and they definately do not want to believe that there is nothing after death.

However it will be an athiest planet long before 500 years. Just as soon as the human race wipes itself out in fact.

rojse

RF Addict
I wonder if there would be more of an emphasis on logic and facts in philosophical in an atheistic a society, rather than emotion and irrationality.

capslockf9

not unless you removed the limbic system from the brain !

Melissa~

Athiesm will not make a better world; is true. Unenlightened can be athiest. Its is not God or No god that produces human suffering; but our inabilty to controll emotions. To remove the limbic portion of the brain will make us emotionless zombies. The object is awareness of emotions. They will surface and we can sense them or let them run amok with us.

Jeremiah

Unfortunatly i don't believe atheism will ever happen on a grand scale because so many people simply want to believe that there is something more to life than this, some deep meaning as to why we are here and they definately do not want to believe that there is nothing after death.

I disagree, there seems to be a trend going on here. I am still in speculation over the subject but I think we will see wider spread of atheistic philosophy. I was not even familiar with the word "atheist" until I was an adult and now it is on T.V. and in plain view at book stores.

Jeremiah

Not likely -- most people don't understand the basics of today's science. I'd say most Americans would be hard pressed to carry on an intelligent discussion about biology or geology. Many believe the earth to be only a few thousand years old. (Many can't find their own country on a map!)
People always have and probably always will prefer magical explanations to scientific.
As an aside, I think it very likely that five centuries from now the Earth will be a devastated ecology, devoid of civilization, with humans existing (if they exist at all) as scattered bands of primative hominids still struggling among themselves -- albeit with sticks and stones.

Science will play little part in their daily struggle.

:tsk:

Perhaps you should look harder; there are compassionate and intelligent humans everywhere. I for one rank the human very high on the list of noble creatures, right under dogs. (The dogs out ranked us because of their unmatched unconditional love)

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
Athiesm will not make a better world; is true. Unenlightened can be athiest. Its is not God or No god that produces human suffering; but our inabilty to controll emotions. To remove the limbic portion of the brain will make us emotionless zombies. The object is awareness of emotions. They will surface and we can sense them or let them run amok with us.

yes, it would make us zombies. I agee with you. It maybe also be a scary thought, but some have postulated that Genetic modification of the genes which drive the negative emotions in the Limbic System may be possible in the future. You just never know where things are going to end up.

Melissa G

MdmSzdWhtGuy

I would think, if in 500 years we are still alive, and everyone has dropped the notion of cosmic boogeymen controlling the destiny of the world, then people would be forced to confront the notion that this life is the only one they are going to get a crack at, and therefore they should live it the best and most beneficial way that they can. If this happened, then the world would be a much better place than it currently is.

I also think gays would be a lot safer, and we probably wouldn't hear about too many people blowing themselves and others up to please one of the cosmic boogeymen referred to earlier.

B.