• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What If There Was A Way To Know?

TEXASBULL

If there was a 100% way to know that there was no God's or life after death and If you found out this information today, would you immediately drop your current religion?

If so, how would your life be different?

Same question for non-believers. If you found out there was a God and was 100% sure. IE being he/she/it actually made an appearance and declared divinity with supernatural wonders. ( not just stories in a book, but you actually see it with your own eyes).

Would you convert to that God Asap?

In this thread, put yourself in a place of knowing 100% for a fact the " Truth ", how quick and to what extent would you change your everyday life?

Skwim

Veteran Member
For believers I can see many of them dismissing the evidence because their need to believe in a god is too strong to abandon him/her.

For atheists and such, because they more typically arrive at their position through reason rather than a compelling need, in light of persuasive evidence I believe they would be far more apt to accept the god.

Last edited:

TEXASBULL

I don't have a talent for rejecting what I know to be true.

This is why RF will never die! :angel2:

Everyone has the truth!

For real though, someone told me the other day, " if God appeared to me I still would reject him and make up and excuse in my mind that it wasn't him because I have already made up my mind and don't want to believe in him".

I thought that was a very hurtful thing to say to someone. Why would I have anymore doubt If he appeared to me like he did Paul?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
For real though, someone told me the other day, " if God appeared to me I still would reject him and make up and excuse in my mind that it wasn't him because I have already made up my mind and don't want to believe in him".

Sounds like the kind of person that will be a hard-core Christian fundamentalist five years from now.

TEXASBULL

Sounds like the kind of person that will be a hard-core Christian fundamentalist five years from now.

maybe I did not post that right, this person was already a hard core christian and tell me that I would never believe.

I was hard core for 15 years but broke away around 3 years ago. Since my break, I have heard some of the most hateful things like. " I have not lost my salvation yet, but I am close". " if I want to see my family that died again one day , I better be careful".

and other scare tactics like that.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
If there was a 100% way to know that there was no God's or life after death and If you found out this information today, would you immediately drop your current religion?

Same question for non-believers. If you found out there was a God and was 100% sure. IE being he/she/it actually made an appearance and declared divinity with supernatural wonders. ( not just stories in a book, but you actually see it with your own eyes).

In this thread, put yourself in a place of knowing 100% for a fact the " Truth ", how quick and to what extent would you change your everyday life?
Well, the 100% sure way to know is to die, so....... but if there was proof positive of no God I guess my life wouldn't change mush ecept I might stop going to church on Sundays, although that would depend on the other people there.

ellenjanuary

Wanna hear something funny? For realz? I said pretty much the same thing, once. Before August of 2005. Now, I have a clear memory of "standing before the creator of the universe" and accepting the title of prophet. Know how I knew god was god? Genetic memory. You believe that jazz? I remembered being a primitive form of man - in the process of dying from freight - because I instinctively knew that what I was looking at, was god.

Wazzat? Temporal lobe epilepsy? Could be. Know what I know, 100%? That there ain't knowing, at 100% My faith runs at 99% - and is based upon my love of my Gwynnies, not god. Know why? Science. I have done the research. My love for Gwyneth Paltrow is a very real (albeit very absurd) empirical phenomenon.

And god is god.

Do you think certainty brings joy? Then, why are we here? Why are we debating religion? Why are we so quick to pronounce truth, when the truth is unpronounceable?

What I know, at 99%, if Gwynnie was around the house of ellenjanuary; ellenjanuary wouldn't be around the RF.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Depends on the God.

I'd certainly behave as if that God existed, but converting to a religion is more than just accepting its core tenets as true; it's also "picking sides".

There are plenty of things I'm convinced are real that I don't want anything to do with. If I was convinced that God is real, then fine: I'd agree that God is real. But this doesn't automatically mean that I'd consider God my buddy.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yeah.

Not by much at all.

I wouldn't believe in God or an afterlife.
I wouldn't go to temple, chant, or read scriptures.

I'd still carry on meditating, though.

Green Kepi

I suppose that I would continue on with the 'principles' of Christ...not a bad way to live...the loving people, treating them like you'd like to be treated...taking care of the poor...the stuff like that. Not too bad of a way to live if I tried to keep that going....

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

What does "convert" imply in this context? If I saw a god, I'd believe in the existence of this being.

But if it was some sort of deity for which the word "convert" was even a relevant subject, it probably wouldn't be a god/religion I have any admiration for. I'm not going to convert to one of the god characters that I find to be unethical and/or nonsensical.

Not much, if at all.

I don't see why the existence or lack of existence of god should alter my behavior at all.

ninerbuff

godless wonder

I pretty much believe in seeing and believing so if an amputee (whom I examined myself) was sitting in a chair in front of me, then some people prayed to god for arm and legs to grow out and they immediately did right in front of me, I would be hard pressed to deny that god exists.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I pretty much believe in seeing and believing so if an amputee (whom I examined myself) was sitting in a chair in front of me, then some people prayed to god for arm and legs to grow out and they immediately did right in front of me, I would be hard pressed to deny that god exists.

Would god be a more likely explanation than those people having access to advanced nano-technology which can regrow limbs? Or that those people have magical healing powers?

ellenjanuary

Would god be a more likely explanation than those people having access to advanced nano-technology which can regrow limbs? Or that those people have magical healing powers?

Or application of will, through the Schroedinger wave function, to address stem cell, to localize time dilation; to get er done, I need my body back?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Already gave up religion.

Still believe in God.

Afterlife?...yes...of course.

Proof?.....

How about the 6billion people that will die within my lifetime.

No survivors?...really?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
This is why RF will never die! :angel2:

Everyone has the truth!

Did you mean that someone told you: " if God appeared to you, you still would reject him and make up and excuse in your mind that it wasn't him because you have already made up your mind and don't want to believe in him" ?

What I mean is, the way your post is presented, it looks like you're quoting something someone was saying to you but forgot to put references to yourself in the second person.

TEXASBULL

Did you mean that someone told you: " if God appeared to you, you still would reject him and make up and excuse in your mind that it wasn't him because you have already made up your mind and don't want to believe in him" ?

What I mean is, the way your post is presented, it looks like you're quoting something someone was saying to you but forgot to put references to yourself in the second person.

Yes, my mistake.

I should have said you.