• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what if god was an idiot?

cambridge79

please don't be immediately offended and keep on reading cause this is something you've probably never read about.

many of us reject god cause he seems inconsistent: i mean, the fact that he is so intelligent and powerful to be able to create effortlessly the whole universe from the small subatomic particles to the big galaxies and keep it all in balance an harmony and at the same time is so insecure that he gets mad if you don't worship him enough or if you don't dress properly, or eat properly or if you masturbate alone in your room, seems very unlikely to many of those who rejected the gods that you can read about in major religions.

But.

and this but is both intended for agnostics/atheistss and for those who believes in the god of the scriptures.

What if he is an idiot?

the intention is not to put him under a bad light. What i'm referring to is what we know as the "Idiot savant syndrome". There are people out there with something different in their brains. They can solve complex equations in their head, can memorize and write down a full symphony after hearing it just once, or have photographic memory, or can learn by heart a whole phonebook. All things that are absolutely impossible to normal human being.
On the other hand they can't tie their shoes, can't understand things that for us are completely normal. They can't completely grasp irony, or many kind of emotions, or do simple things like having a proper conversation.

what if the mind of god was more similar to these "idiot savant" than to the mind of the common man?

that from the point of view of the unbeliever would represent a problem, cause now the erratic and the unreasonable behaviour would make sense. You can still decide not to worship such a god but he would still have the power to send you to hell or heaven.
And from the point of view of the believer would represent a problem aswell, cause now god is no more allknowing, full of wisdom and love, and truth and everything but just a sort of autistic genyous on steroid that at the same time can create universe but can't tie his shoes and is scared of his own shadow.
but that would fit the god as described in the bible for example, more than the loving forgiving and allknowing father that on the other hand gets pissed off to the point of nuking a whole city when they're endulging in human pleasures a little too much.

is this hypotesis completely stupid or can you see some potential here?

Last edited:

Jumi

Well this is something many religions have believed, that there is a creator or creators who are imperfect or even evil. You might want to look at some types of gnosticism for example.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
is this hypotesis completely stupid
Pretty stupid, it seems too attached to the ancient Jewish thinking and stories on God. I don't think western theism or western atheism are very impressive. Look east young man, look east.

Rapha

Enlil who calls himself God (Yahweh) is a stupid mass murderer. He used scalar weaponry to flood the planet when humans realized that his brother Enki (Lucifer) created mass slavery.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Pretty stupid, it seems too attached to the ancient Jewish thinking and stories on God. I don't think western theism or western atheism are very impressive. Look east young man, look east.
Or, instead, just learn about what the Abrahamic religions actually teach and believe in instead of this bs cartoon, idiotic idea of God that no one actually believes in. Judaism and Christianity both have thousands of years of philosophy behind them. There is Islamic philosophy, as well. Most of us actually aren't ****ing stupid, you know. The wingnut fundies get a lot of attention, which they don't deserve, but they don't represent all of us or the totality of our traditions. :rolleyes:

That's just to posters in general, by the way.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
How about "beyond human comprehension", instead of idiot?

The reason I don't "believe" is because I don't think humans have any more insight or understanding into the divine than algae have into quantum mechanics.
It is not God that is the idiot.
Tom

outhouse

Atheistically
How about "beyond human comprehension", instead of idiot?

Because there is nothing about what ancient humans wrote, that is beyond comprehension. Some context we wont know, but that is just lost to time.

Your reply assumes there is something more then words to analyze.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
please don't be immediately offended and keep on reading cause this is something you've probably never read about.

many of us reject god cause he seems inconsistent: i mean, the fact that he is so intelligent and powerful to be able to create effortlessly the whole universe from the small subatomic particles to the big galaxies and keep it all in balance an harmony and at the same time is so insecure that he gets mad if you don't worship him enough or if you don't dress properly, or eat properly or if you masturbate alone in your room, seems very unlikely to many of those who rejected the gods that you can read about in major religions.

But.

and this but is both intended for agnostics/atheistss and for those who believes in the god of the scriptures.

What if he is an idiot?

the intention is not to put him under a bad light. What i'm referring to is what we know as the "Idiot savant syndrome". There are people out there with something different in their brains. They can solve complex equations in their head, can memorize and write down a full symphony after hearing it just once, or have photographic memory, or can learn by heart a whole phonebook. All things that are absolutely impossible to normal human being.
On the other hand they can't tie their shoes, can't understand things that for us are completely normal. They can't completely grasp irony, or many kind of emotions, or do simple things like having a proper conversation.

what if the mind of god was more similar to these "idiot savant" than to the mind of the common man?

that from the point of view of the unbeliever would represent a problem, cause now the erratic and the unreasonable behaviour would make sense. You can still decide not to worship such a god but he would still have the power to send you to hell or heaven.
And from the point of view of the believer would represent a problem aswell, cause now god is no more allknowing, full of wisdom and love, and truth and everything but just a sort of autistic genyous on steroid that at the same time can create universe but can't tie his shoes and is scared of his own shadow.
but that would fit the god as described in the bible for example, more than the loving forgiving and allknowing father that on the other hand gets pissed off to the point of nuking a whole city when they're endulging in human pleasures a little too much.

is this hypotesis completely stupid or can you see some potential here?

Do you think it's idiotic to think that this universe needs a God to create it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Do you think it's idiotic to think that this universe needs a God to create it.
No. But I do think it is prideful ignorance to believe that you know anything important about God.
That's why I am not a believer. I don't have enough hubris to think I have that much understanding.
Tom

outhouse

Atheistically
But I do think it is prideful ignorance to believe that you know anything important about God.

I don't find that true. This is a matter of education and knowledge.

God is a man made concept that is a direct reflection of the men who redefined it.

If you want to know about the god concept, you have to know the cultural anthropology of the people who wrote about it.

Gods have been described by all kinds of men. So to know gods is to know the men in context of anthropology.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
I think if god was an idiot, he'd cover most of the Earth in water, and then make it undrinkable...oh wait...

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
No one has.

I thought you believed that there is one God, not two, three or many. That God sent the Quran as the final scripture to Muhammad and a bunch of other stuff. That God currently exists and cares about humans, what they believe and do. What happens to them.
That is really a lot of stuff. More than I can believe.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If you want to know about the god concept, you have to know the cultural anthropology of the people who wrote abou
This appears to be where we are having the misunderstanding. I am not talking about God, the fictional character in scripture. I am talking about the reality, as best as I understand it.
Tom

outhouse

Atheistically
I am talking about the reality

the only god that exist in reality scientific and academic wise, is the one in peoples heads they learned from the ancient text.

No god exist in reality at this time scientifically or academically. Only exist in faith of those who believe their current definition

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Or, instead, just learn about what the Abrahamic religions actually teach and believe in instead of this bs cartoon, idiotic idea of God that no one actually believes in. Judaism and Christianity both have thousands of years of philosophy behind them. There is Islamic philosophy, as well. Most of us actually aren't ****ing stupid, you know. The wingnut fundies get a lot of attention, which they don't deserve, but they don't represent all of us or the totality of our traditions. :rolleyes:

That's just to posters in general, by the way.
I like this. Atheists like to reduce theists to their lowest common denominator.

I have actually had to coin a term "Bible-thumping Atheists".