• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if Christianity was like THIS?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend tomspug,

What if Christianity was like THIS?
Instead of a big church with hundreds or thousands of people, your "church" was a small group of your closest friends, Christian or non-Christian, who sat down every week and talked about what was going on in their lives. What if "worship" wasn't a rock band or a choir in front of an audience, but a group of individuals sharing how God is working in their lives and one acoustic guitar and some creative lyrics? What if "ministering" didn't mean "preaching", but meant making an effort to spend quality time with people who seem lost or are hurting and allowing them to share themselves, only speaking if they ask questions? What if "pastors" were sources of knowledge and advice on a personal basis, and they didn't wear suits or robes? What if "righteousness" wasn't something you tried to make yourself be but was something you knew you could never be? What if "God" wasn't an idea or a figure, but your closest friend and greatest source of comfort and trust?

What if Christianity = Love?__________________

Don't think too hard.
STILL your mind.
You will realise that what you imagine is been done HERE-NOW.
Do you get the picture?
At RF, we are nearly doing what you wish to be done face to face.
Doesn't matter.
This is a globalised world.

Love & rgds

tomspug

Absorbant
While this forum is a wonderful place for understanding and growth in knowledge, I can easily say that it has in no way contributed to my relationship with God. I am sure that Hindus, Buddhists or any other religion would feel the same way.

This environment is no replacement for religion.

lunamoth

Will to love
Instead of a big church with hundreds or thousands of people, your "church" was a small group of your closest friends, Christian or non-Christian, who sat down every week and talked about what was going on in their lives. What if "worship" wasn't a rock band or a choir in front of an audience, but a group of individuals sharing how God is working in their lives and one acoustic guitar and some creative lyrics? What if "ministering" didn't mean "preaching", but meant making an effort to spend quality time with people who seem lost or are hurting and allowing them to share themselves, only speaking if they ask questions? What if "pastors" were sources of knowledge and advice on a personal basis, and they didn't wear suits or robes? What if "righteousness" wasn't something you tried to make yourself be but was something you knew you could never be? What if "God" wasn't an idea or a figure, but your closest friend and greatest source of comfort and trust?

What if Christianity = Love?

That's what church is already like for me.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Tomspug,

While this forum is a wonderful place for understanding and growth in knowledge, I can easily say that it has in no way contributed to my relationship with God. I am sure that Hindus, Buddhists or any other religion would feel the same way.

What is RELIGION?
It is not being christian, buddhist, sanatanist, muslim jew etc.
Religion is what you practice.
One always discusses and talks about philosophies of a religion but in itself it is not a religion. Religion happens when you put into practice those theories. Religion is personal nothing to do with a congregation or a forum.
GOD- there is no god with whom any one ever had any relationship.
The relationship between an individual and the WHOLE is what matters and for that the individual has to be receptive and for this the individual follows a certain path or way which is called religion. So, the practice of connecting with the whole is called religion.

What individuals feel is again personal nothing to do with buddha or christ as living it is totally different than any feelings.

Love & rgds

Draka

Wonder Woman

What if Christianity = Love?

I read this and immediately thought that that is how I would describe how it is when pagans tend to gather. At least in my experience. A few friends, some talking, sharing, educating, learning, counseling, laughing, crying, eating, and just enjoying each other and our spirituality.

Jeremy Mason

Sorry to hear that Tom.

I, the other hand, have gained a vast amount of insight of not only my own faith, but others. I have a better command of my vocabulary and I'm far more appreciative of different points of view. This forum has become my daily avenue for my heartfelt expression of who I am and my deepest feelings. i've made several friends here and often speak about RF with family and friends.

I know a church isn't made of bricks, but is made through it's members and the love, even hard love :D which, for me, qualifies RF as my church. Where everyone is allowed who desires knowledge and understanding, regardless of background or conviction.

tomspug

Absorbant
Friend Tomspug,

What is RELIGION?
It is not being christian, buddhist, sanatanist, muslim jew etc.
Religion is what you practice.
One always discusses and talks about philosophies of a religion but in itself it is not a religion. Religion happens when you put into practice those theories. Religion is personal nothing to do with a congregation or a forum.
GOD- there is no god with whom any one ever had any relationship.
The relationship between an individual and the WHOLE is what matters and for that the individual has to be receptive and for this the individual follows a certain path or way which is called religion. So, the practice of connecting with the whole is called religion.

What individuals feel is again personal nothing to do with buddha or christ as living it is totally different than any feelings.

Love & rgds
"Religion" is not the property of an individual. It is a larger entity that contributes to the individual, which is why we have religion. What you are referring to is not religion, but personal FAITH. Faith is putting the principles of "religion" into practice. But it is "religion" that teaches and encourages those principles.

And I believe there IS a personal God who has a loving, caring, understanding relationship with me. You can disagree if you want.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Christianity has a beautiful dream at its core. When it's about Christians imagining they can save the world instead of being agents of love in the world, that beautiful dream gets obscured. And sometimes it dies altogether.

tomspug

Absorbant
Sorry to hear that Tom.

I, the other hand, have gained a vast amount of insight of not only my own faith, but others. I have a better command of my vocabulary and I'm far more appreciative of different points of view. This forum has become my daily avenue for my heartfelt expression of who I am and my deepest feelings. i've made several friends here and often speak about RF with family and friends.

I know a church isn't made of bricks, but is made through it's members and the love, even hard love :D which, for me, qualifies RF as my church. Where everyone is allowed who desires knowledge and understanding, regardless of background or conviction.
Well, I disagree. I am filled intellectually here and I have formed friendships, but I am not spiritually filled. I crave the Holy Spirit, which is something very real to me and can only be found in personal faith, through prayer and worship, and sometimes in fellowship with other Christians. I may LEARN here and GROW as a person, but RF doesn't change me inside out and fill me with the "fruits of the spirit" that I receive when I successfully adhere to the Word of God.

I hope you are not mistaking me for LESSENING RF in any way. But it is like comparing, literally, a man to a God. It is not that one is insufficient in any way, but one is capable of granting one thing and the other is capable of granting infinitely more.

tomspug

Absorbant
doppelgänger;1316860 said:
Christianity has a beautiful dream at its core. When it's about Christians imagining they can save the world instead of being agents of love in the world, that beautiful dream gets obscured. And sometimes it dies altogether.
It is beautiful. But it is more than a dream. It is a reality that I am seeing more and more, the more I focus on the beauty of it, the more I become a vehicle for it and want it to become a reality. It is a reality that is becoming, more and more.

doppelganger

It is beautiful. But it is more than a dream. It is a reality that I am seeing more and more, the more I focus on the beauty of it, the more I become a vehicle for it and want it to become a reality. It is a reality that is becoming, more and more.
Sure. And when it's about Christians projecting their judgments and imagining they can save the world through the power of magic words, transforming that dream into reality often becomes a real nightmare for people who prefer other magic words - or no magic words at all.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
When I was a teen, when I went to Church- I was always welcomed by people. They seemed to care about my family and me. Now when I go to a Church, no one ever notices that I am there. I want to know what has happened?

doppelganger

When I was a teen, when I went to Church- I was always welcomed by people. They seemed to care about my family and me. Now when I go to a Church, no one ever notices that I am there. I want to know what has happened?
I think what has changed is that the emphasis has widely been taken off of community and placed instead on personal salvation and individual satisfaction. That's part of a broader cultural change from an ethic of personal responsibility to the good of the community at large to one of personal wellness (which is more conducive to consumerism).

Jeremy Mason

Well, I disagree. I am filled intellectually here and I have formed friendships, but I am not spiritually filled. I crave the Holy Spirit, which is something very real to me and can only be found in personal faith, through prayer and worship, and sometimes in fellowship with other Christians. I may LEARN here and GROW as a person, but RF doesn't change me inside out and fill me with the "fruits of the spirit" that I receive when I successfully adhere to the Word of God.

I hope you are not mistaking me for LESSENING RF in any way. But it is like comparing, literally, a man to a God. It is not that one is insufficient in any way, but one is capable of granting one thing and the other is capable of granting infinitely more.

No worries, I just feel I'm tapping more into my spirituality than I had at a traditional church. For me, the Holy Spirit is most definitely with me and in increasing measure as I grow.

Glad to hear you have a strong relationship with God and look forward to reading your posts in the future. :)

Jeremy Mason

doppelgänger;1316882 said:
I think what has changed is that the emphasis has widely been taken off of community and placed instead on personal salvation and individual satisfaction. That's part of a broader cultural change from an ethic of personal responsibility to the good of the community at large to one of personal wellness (which is more conducive to consumerism).

I completely agree. frubals.

texan1

doppelgänger;1316882 said:

Yes - good post. The system won't let me frubal you darnit.

texan1

Sorry to hear that Tom.

I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying here. I am really surprised at how much I enjoy this forum. It seems that I came here almost as a joke initially.....but I have learned so much and have been touched by the insights of so many different people. I'm always impressed at how smart some of the folks are out here. The thing that's great about it is you get to discuss and debate issues that you don't really get to talk about in 'real life'. You can't just bring up religion or politics with friends and relatives and have a friendly debate. Or meet someone in line at the coffee shop and say "so what is your idea of God"? lol. RF is a great outlet.

But in response to the OP - people worship in different ways. Not all church services are huge productions; some of them already are similar to what you describe. I grew up in a small church in a smaller community - everyone knew each other. In fact , the first time I went to a huge church service with a band and a choir, and movie screens, etc. I thought "this is crazy - how can anyone feel spiritual in a place like this?" I guess it all depends on what you are used to.

Frederica

It seems as if you accept only the wholly spirit of love, when the realtiy is that the wholly spirit is manifest in all of the true lights of healing emotions. From what I have experienced, your way is the same way that all of the monster religious establishments have begun. Whether they set up and started their plans, love and intrigues in a small cabin or a make shift bar, the out come has been the same. This is false Christianity. Perhaps you are not aware of this.