• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What have been the Proudest Moments of Your Life?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm very curious about two things here:

First, please describe for me at least one of the proudest moments in your life. Why did you take unusual pride in it? Bonus points for briefly describing more than one.

Second, and perhaps a bit more difficult to recollect, please describe for me at least one moment in your life that you did something many or most people might take a goodly measure of pride in, but which for some reason you didn't. And why didn't you? Again, bonus points for briefly describing more than one such instance.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't know why this should be one of the proudest moments of my life. If I try to consider it objectively, it seems pretty trivial. But emotionally, it's long been something I'm unusually proud of.

In one of my university classes, I was called on to list (on the blackboard) a few differences between the Gnostic Christians and the other early Christians. I got up and began to list in two columns the differences that I knew of. As I was doing so, I got some questions from my classmates that I attempted to answer. To my surprise, this back and forth went on the entire class period. Just before the bell rang, our professor stated that when he'd asked me to list some differences between the two groups, he'd expected me to take ten minutes and be done with it. But he'd noticed what a good job I was doing and had decided that it would benefit the class more for him to let me go on than for him to give his own prepared lecture on the subject.

I think maybe the reason that made such a mark on my pride is because I so greatly admired that professor. But I don't really know.

It might not be entirely clear to me why the above was one of my proudest moments, but I am fairly certain why the next has not been among my proudest moments.

While I was a fire fighter, I single-handedly saved someone's life. Afterwards, I forgot the incident for several years. Then it came back to me one day but not as a source of unusual pride. And I think the reason it has not been something I've taken much pride in is because anyone else, in the same circumstances I was in, would have done the same as I did. In other words, it was nothing out of the ordinary.

At any rate, I'm very curious about what sort of things we take pride in, and why we take pride in specifically those things.

BeckyRose1998

PICKLES THE KID
When I graduated the eighth grade. The weird pride was because that was the first graduation ceremony I had experienced in my whole like and it was me moving up to the ninth grade.

And I don't think I did something like the second one. O.O lol

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When I graduated the eighth grade. The weird pride was because that was the first graduation ceremony I had experienced in my whole like and it was me moving up to the ninth grade.

I can see how someone would take unusual pride in that, given your explanation. Thanks, Becky!

Me Myself

Back to my username
THe other day, I was with a person who usually knows exactly who to push my buttons. He is very explosive sometimes and raises voice when feels little.

He did everything that usually ticks me off, to which with time I ve been able to defuse most of the anger that comes from me when such things happen. This time, he did absolutely everything and when he said my trigger words:

"You are ___"
I said : "False"

He said this many times over and I just replied "false" in a completely calm and honest demeanor.

Finally, he threw some silliness to the floor and stormed off. I noticed I wasnt even in the least angry. I wasnt angry because I knew his rant wasnt at all about me. I knew his reaction to me was not my responsibility. I finally deeply understood how his words were just words and that any emotions they may trigger are on me.

I made it. I am the master of my emotions.

That's how I felt :)

--------other--------

A guy was bothering a friend of mine who is a midget. He usually bothered me too, he was a straight forward bully. He began saying things like :Yeah I am gonna step on you! yeah! I am going to step on you! (the most specific translation would mean step in him in a way you do with a bug, like if he were so small he could just step on him completely by walking into him)

I finally lost it stood up and said "DO it" while I walked straight at him and put myself in between both. "what?" "you heard me, do it" "I want to see you doing it because you cant. Its imposible that you would do such a thing because we both know he is not that small" I said it so confidently and so seriously, that even while it was obvius he was saying it as a joke, he felt very stupid. His friend backed him up and they said I was homo for my midget friend, I was commonly bullyied as if I was gay but I didnt care and kept talking to them until finally both felt so tiny I had the final word and they took off.

Later this guy started bothering me directly and pushed me back. I kicked him in the chest but I did so so softly(un purpose(I swear :D) ) it was only as a warning, the thing is because I did it softly I did it slowly so he took my leg with his arm. I had and have very good balance on one leg due to tae kwon do so while he tried to make me fall I didnt and as I moved my leg he mistepped a kinda hole in the floor and he fell and everyone laughed at him.

"Hey! I didnt fell because of you!" he shouted "Of course you didnt, you fell on your own, thats worst you idiot!" I said and everyone laughed and I felt like a victor :D

-------------other-------------------

As idiotic as it may be, I felt proud of myself one time I turned down sex with an extremely hot chick (at least to me) because she had a boyfriend at the time. Maybe I wouldnt have turned her down if she wasnt my friend, but I simply couldnt help a friend on getting bad karma.

oh, by rejecting her, I was rejecting a threesome.

------------------other-------------------------------

The first time I made a clay figure I was really proud I myself. I cant really explain why, as I knew it would be kind of easy for me to be good at it and it wasnt like if it was extremely good, but just "good enough" for me... but its just there is something on doing clay that feels like I am doing something deeply spiritual and meaningful. Like if that moment was a sort of highlight. While Ive done other clay figures that may be rated as "better" or "muchbetter" what I loved about that one was that it was so simple. It was a man meditating. Kinda chinese looking with a sort of toga I guess, kinda muscular.

I felt like if finishing that clay was some kind of big thing, some kind of bg clousure. Now that I think of it, that may be because as a good gemini, I end up and never finish a lot of things. I didnt do that with that piece of clay. IT was little, simple, but "perfect" . Not perfect in the sense of it being literally perfect, but perfect in the sense that it felt perfect because I did it, it was all mine and it was done and it was good.

Hard to explain

I'll probably come back. Good thread for thought, I cant frubal you again today Sunst :D

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Either maturity or when I got a girl that hated my guts to like me from making out once.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
THe other day, I was with a person who usually knows exactly who to push my buttons. He is very explosive sometimes and raises voice when feels little.

He did everything that usually ticks me off, to which with time I ve been able to defuse most of the anger that comes from me when such things happen. This time, he did absolutely everything and when he said my trigger words:

"You are ___"
I said : "False"

He said this many times over and I just replied "false" in a completely calm and honest demeanor.

Finally, he threw some silliness to the floor and stormed off. I noticed I wasnt even in the least angry. I wasnt angry because I knew his rant wasnt at all about me. I knew his reaction to me was not my responsibility. I finally deeply understood how his words were just words and that any emotions they may trigger are on me.

I made it. I am the master of my emotions.

That's how I felt :)

--------other--------

A guy was bothering a friend of mine who is a midget. He usually bothered me too, he was a straight forward bully. He began saying things like :Yeah I am gonna step on you! yeah! I am going to step on you! (the most specific translation would mean step in him in a way you do with a bug, like if he were so small he could just step on him completely by walking into him)

I finally lost it stood up and said "DO it" while I walked straight at him and put myself in between both. "what?" "you heard me, do it" "I want to see you doing it because you cant. Its imposible that you would do such a thing because we both know he is not that small" I said it so confidently and so seriously, that even while it was obvius he was saying it as a joke, he felt very stupid. His friend backed him up and they said I was homo for my midget friend, I was commonly bullyied as if I was gay but I didnt care and kept talking to them until finally both felt so tiny I had the final word and they took off.

Later this guy started bothering me directly and pushed me back. I kicked him in the chest but I did so so softly(un purpose(I swear :D) ) it was only as a warning, the thing is because I did it softly I did it slowly so he took my leg with his arm. I had and have very good balance on one leg due to tae kwon do so while he tried to make me fall I didnt and as I moved my leg he mistepped a kinda hole in the floor and he fell and everyone laughed at him.

"Hey! I didnt fell because of you!" he shouted "Of course you didnt, you fell on your own, thats worst you idiot!" I said and everyone laughed and I felt like a victor :D

-------------other-------------------

As idiotic as it may be, I felt proud of myself one time I turned down sex with an extremely hot chick (at least to me) because she had a boyfriend at the time. Maybe I wouldnt have turned her down if she wasnt my friend, but I simply couldnt help a friend on getting bad karma.

oh, by rejecting her, I was rejecting a threesome.

------------------other-------------------------------

The first time I made a clay figure I was really proud I myself. I cant really explain why, as I knew it would be kind of easy for me to be good at it and it wasnt like if it was extremely good, but just "good enough" for me... but its just there is something on doing clay that feels like I am doing something deeply spiritual and meaningful. Like if that moment was a sort of highlight. While Ive done other clay figures that may be rated as "better" or "muchbetter" what I loved about that one was that it was so simple. It was a man meditating. Kinda chinese looking with a sort of toga I guess, kinda muscular.

I felt like if finishing that clay was some kind of big thing, some kind of bg clousure. Now that I think of it, that may be because as a good gemini, I end up and never finish a lot of things. I didnt do that with that piece of clay. IT was little, simple, but "perfect" . Not perfect in the sense of it being literally perfect, but perfect in the sense that it felt perfect because I did it, it was all mine and it was done and it was good.

Hard to explain

I'll probably come back. Good thread for thought, I cant frubal you again today Sunst :D

I find those examples very interesting, MM. Especially since the things you've taken "most memorable pride" in are not the sort of things I've taken "most memorable pride" in. I don't mean to imply that one group of things is superior to another. I think they're all equal, but that it's interesting to see what's most important to us as individuals.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I find those examples very interesting, MM. Especially since the things you've taken "most memorable pride" in are not the sort of things I've taken "most memorable pride" in. I don't mean to imply that one group of things is superior to another. I think they're all equal, but that it's interesting to see what's most important to us as individuals.

I get that.

I am still actively thinking on more.

I think generally what I take more pride on has to do with standing up to injstice or doing what I feel other people wouldnt have done or been able to do in a situation like mine, and specially under personal emotional duress.

But I will sitll think on this, I feel I am leaving behind important stuff.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think generally what I take more pride on has to do with standing up to injstice or doing what I feel other people wouldnt have done or been able to do in a situation like mine, and specially under personal emotional duress.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

Wirey

Fartist
Proudest: My son told me I was what he wanted to be when he grew up.

Should have been proud and wasn't: Pulled a woman out of a burning house (she was close to the front door) and did mouth to mouth until she came back. It seemed more like the thing to do than an accomplishment.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'm very curious about two things here:

First, please describe for me at least one of the proudest moments in your life. Why did you take unusual pride in it? Bonus points for briefly describing more than one.

My personal proudest moment: When I gave birth.

It was one of those "I-wonder-how-anybody-can-do-this" moments, but then in labor I was completely focused on the here and now. Then when I gave birth to my daughter who was over 8 pounds without anesthesia (and I'm 4'11" tall), I suddenly felt the endorphin rush and felt like I could move mountains.

But inside, there was this sense of crowning achievement....I kept saying that I did it. I gave birth. WOW! I GAVE BIRTH!!

Second, and perhaps a bit more difficult to recollect, please describe for me at least one moment in your life that you did something many or most people might take a goodly measure of pride in, but which for some reason you didn't. And why didn't you? Again, bonus points for briefly describing more than one such instance.

When I opened my business. I'm not as proud of it as I thought I'd be. I'm happy and excited and full of terror and freedom and all that, but pride for the business is not anything I feel. Strange. But to me, it's all in a day's work now.

Now, am I proud of the employees and the students? I have been overwhelmed with how proud of them I feel. That was unexpected as well. I knew that I was going to feel pride for them and their accomplishments, since I had found that as a teacher, anyway, but to see students and parents and instructors and staff members adopt the mission statement of the business as their own....and then run with it in their own lives....the amount of satisfaction I feel for them at times brings a tear to my eye. Many times, they inspire me.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The only thing I can think of that I was most proud of was riding my bike for an hour in strong winds to see my mom. By the end my face felt like it had been ripped apart by cat claws, but man it was fun.

As for the underwhelming event, that would be the first time I flew. Alone. Very dull and certainly not pride-inducing.