• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has gold to do with religion?!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What does sugar have to do with a bad diet?
What does water have to do with growing food?

Point being: Some elemental relationships are easier to see than others. I could explain this for gold, but you wouldn't understand or believe me.

निताइ dasa

Nitai's servant's servant
What is the worth of gold, but what we humans give it? As far as I am concerned, everything belongs to God, and if it is used in His service and others, then that is the correct use of wealth. It only becomes a problem, when greed enters and detracts us from spirituality.

I mean heck, Srimati Lakshmani (who is the source of all wealth) resides constantly with Her husband Lord Narayana (whom the temple is dedicated too). Where else would She reside?

Nefelie

As mentioned above: it symbolizes the Sun, because it's precious, sparkly and stays the same for ever.
Also, it is said that the Sun was the first thing people ever worshipped.
All later supreme gods are merely a personification of the Sun.
Simple as that.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on the religion.

Others have already given excellent answers. Typically, it's a solar symbol. It is so in many contemporary Pagan traditions, at any rate, and that's how I would use it if I actually owned any of it.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Nothing. But it makes it look like the temple was straight out from heaven. It looks very sparkly and shines very beautifully. So the use of it anywhere shouldn't be concerning, as long as one doesn't worship the gold itself, or produces feelings of greed.
You mean the heaven is a goldmine?!
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Gold is said to the color of how the sun actually is. It is the color that denotes the Sun God Surya and it is a symbol of purity.
Buddha statues are covered in gold leaves to symbolize the purity of him and kings would wear it to have an essence of the life giving power with them and to denote their own purity.
Please quote from Buddha in this connection.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
What is the worth of gold, but what we humans give it? As far as I am concerned, everything belongs to God, and if it is used in His service and others, then that is the correct use of wealth. It only becomes a problem, when greed enters and detracts us from spirituality.

I mean heck, Srimati Lakshmani (who is the source of all wealth) resides constantly with Her husband Lord Narayana (whom the temple is dedicated too). Where else would She reside?

The proper residence of Lakshmani is home of the poor or needy. Don't make her poor to amass gold, please.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
As mentioned above: it symbolizes the Sun, because it's precious, sparkly and stays the same for ever.
Also, it is said that the Sun was the first thing people ever worshipped.
All later supreme gods are merely a personification of the Sun.
Simple as that.
I would disagree with you. The sun was a symbol of bounties of G-d which humans enjoyed in life without putting any labour into it, it was distinct from the bounties for which men had to work to get any remuneration. Please
Regards