• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly is OM?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Riverwolf,
As just another human; I do not consider myself a 'part' of anything. My spiritual growth involves finding the overall spiritual teachings that can be found in all religions, and I'm trying to adopt Bushido to help with my discipline in this area.

Well begun is half done.
The begining is the end in itself.
Now all that needs to be done is *NOTHING* not even *THINKING*.
Watch the thoughts or your breath coming IN and going OUT.
Rest will happen on its own. Existence has been around before the form we came into and will be there after this form goes away so it will keep on doing what needs to be done one just has to step aside to allow that existence to carry out its activities.
Best Wishes.
Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend A-ManESL,

My take on Om:
* It is one of the names of God (the supreme Brahmin) according to Hindu scriptures.
* Since the Brahmin is the most comprehensive, it must be represented by the most comprehensive word: a word which combines all possible positions of the throat, mouth and tongue in word-utterance. You start with Ah, the root sound, which is made in the throat without using the tongue or palate. Then comes Ou which rolls from throat to lips. Finally Mm is pronounced by closed lips. The resultant is Ah-ou-mm which is approximately how Om should be pronounced.

Regards.

PS:A related quotation from the bible:
Quote:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.-Gospel according to St John.

Now can you draw a parallel with islam, here?

Love & rgds

A-ManESL

Friend A-ManESL,
Now can you draw a parallel with islam, here?
Love & rgds

Of course, the fundamental truth of all religions is the same so there are many parallels in the approach. Every religion recognizes that there is a spiritual reality beyond comprehension. Since it is itself infinite in attributes, the paths leading upto it are also infinite. I believe, though, a person has to adopt one fixed path and not waver among many, if he wants to make progress. I would discuss further but that is not the objective of this thread.

Regards

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend A-ManESL,

Of course, the fundamental truth of all religions is the same so there are many parallels in the approach.
Yes!
Every religion recognizes that there is a spiritual reality beyond comprehension.
Yes!
Since it is itself infinite in attributes, the paths leading upto it are also infinite.
Yes!
I believe, though, a person has to adopt one fixed path and not waver among many,
Both right and wrong!
if he wants to make progress.
I would discuss further but that is not the objective of this thread.
The objective of this thread is to draw as many parallel to OM as possible for a complete understanding.

The choice is yours.

Love & rgds

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
So OM is a representation of the "echo of the Big Bang"? I thought that was more of a hissing sound. :confused:

I seem to recall hearing that the static on your TV is caused by the cosmic background radiation. Though I'm not 100% sure.

The static on your TV is from the radiation on the Big Bang. Apparently, OM is the noise of the universe vibrating. Which says something about Indians knowing what a universe was some 10000 years ago.

Or something

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
The static on your TV is from the radiation on the Big Bang. Apparently, OM is the noise of the universe vibrating. Which says something about Indians knowing what a universe was some 10000 years ago.

Or something

I thought is sounded more like cccccccccccccccccccccrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-pop.

rcscwc

From what I understand, I think it's supposed to be the word that created the universe, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

Can anyone give more detail as to the nature of OM?

Linguistically, OM does not represnt any object or quality or category. But in wider sense, it means everything.

In the beginning was Prajapati
With Him was His word
The word was OM.

Hence OM can also mean the will of Brahma, His creative potential, a release of creative energy. In that sense it means Brahma, and all is within Brahma.

rcscwc

Of course, the fundamental truth of all religions is the same so there are many parallels in the approach.

Since it is itself infinite in attributes, the paths leading upto it are also infinite.
Regards
Hindus accept there can be any number of valid paths.

I believe, though, a person has to adopt one fixed path and not waver among many, if he wants to make progress.

Seems to be you get stuck if you do find the path is OK. Freedom is curtailed.

What you call wavering maybe discernment.
Not accepted.

Satsangi

Om is called "Pranav Naad." During Creation it was the "sound" by Supreme Lord himself which he created in the "Bhramarandhra" or "Sahasrachakra" of Virat Narayan- the Lord of this Brahmanda. This sound travelled through the "Sushumna Naadi" of Virat Narayan upto his "Naabhi Kamal". From OM came all the syllables and vowels and the Vedas through Brahmaji. Om is not only a sound, but in meditation it can be perceived by all senses and wihout any senses.

I hope this makes sense.

Regards

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

As the creation began, the divine, all-encompassing consciousness took the form of the first and original vibration manifesting as sound "OM".[7] Before creation began it was "Shunyakasha", the emptiness or the void. Shunyakasha is more than nothingness, because everything existed in a latent state of potentiality. The vibration of "OM" symbolizes the manifestation of God in form. "OM" is the reflection of the absolute reality, it is said to be "Adi Anadi", without beginning or the end and embracing all that exists.[7] The mantra "OM" is the name of God, the vibration of the Supreme. When taken letter by letter, A-U-M represents the divine energy (Shakti) united in its three elementary aspects: Bhrahma Shakti (creation), Vishnu Shakti (preservation) and Shiva (liberation) Shakti.[7]

The above is wiki, however this will be interests to friend Onkarah about the mention of VOID in sanatan dharma and the orgin of the OM sound.
However to bring about awareness of this sound please understand that this is also called The soundless-sound. Only when is in meditation that this sound is heard clearly. None can find the source of this sound as it is eternal and so it is the original sound from which creation started.
It is called the *one hand clap* in zen.
Believe some hear it as *HUUU* specially followers of islam and so they have *allah HUU...*
Personally hear it as the *sound of crickets* and on deeper states the *sound of temple bells* as if in some unknown mountain there is a temple and many bells are ringing at the same time one after the other. Have confirmed that these types of sound too have been conveyed by other meditators.
Am sure there are others at RF, who have similar experiences following other or their own paths. Surely would like them to share their experiences.
Zen master will wait for the monks to hear this *one hand clap* before taking him seriously as the actual human life starts thereon. Till then as Jesus remarked and friend Venugopal's signature "Let the dead bury the dead*. since till then they are only in the hands of evolution
Love & rgds

Love & rgds

santdasji

None can find the source of this sound as it is eternal and so it is the original sound from which creation started.

Believe some hear it as *HUUU* specially followers of islam and so they have *allah HUU...*

In Samadhi many have heard and even seen the Aum Naad coming from the right toe of Parbrahma Purshottam. Their are recorded incidents of this from just under 200 years ago in their thousands.

Yes, it is also when this Aum naad was sounded that Purshottam Bhagwan entered Vairaj Purush (this universe) to awaken him and carry out His tasks.

Also the Allah Hu Akbar in Arabic... The *HUU is simply the meaning of *is. So they say 'God is great.'

Love & rgds