• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What exactly is meditation?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Well, there's more than one type/method. Not to be dismissive but do tinterweb dictionaries not provide what you seek?
I have looked but don't feel as though I properly understand it

I have gone along with a YouTube guided meditation video and it worked for me and thought it might be prudent to explore it further

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That is exactly the type of thing I was looking for

Many thanks!
I might suggest you use a very simple meditation timer app. I have this one on my android phone:
1000004869.jpg

PearlSeeker

What exactly is meditation?

Could someone please explain it?

I kind of know what it is but don't really......

From One Minute Wisdom by Anthony de Mello:

The Governor on his travels stepped in to pay homage to the Master.

“Affairs of State leave me no time for lengthy dissertations,” he said. “Could you put the essence of religion into a paragraph or two for a busy man like me?”

“I shall put it into a single word for the benefit of Your Highness.”

“Incredible! What is that unusual word?”

“Silence.”

“And what is the way to Silence?”

“Meditation.”

“And what, may I ask, is meditation?”

“Silence.”

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Nice explanations. Nothing more to add except that one must not do it for more than 10 minutes at a time. A two-hour meditation is BS.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Meher Baba has outlined and classified many different forms of meditation. There are associative meditations where you identify with an ideal and dissociative forms "neti neti" (not this, not this). There's witness meditation. And much more

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Some beginning steps and info.

Edited to add snippet: "Ever since the time of Pythagoras, though, Western mystics and sages have also recognized that the mind need not be the enemy of the spirit, if it’s brought into harmony with itself, with the larger human self of which it forms a part, and with the cosmos as a whole. The rational can be a vehicle for the spiritual: this is the premise (and the promise) of most Western mystical paths, and this approach was adopted into Druidry from the earliest days of the Druid Revival....

In this form of meditation, which is called discursive meditation, the thinking process is not stopped but redirected and clarified; thoughts are not abolished but made into a vehicle for the deeper movement of consciousness. This is typically done by focusing the mind on a specific topic, and allowing it to follow out the implications of that topic through a chain of ideas, while at the same time keeping it focused on the topic without straying. By doing this, the meditator gradually transforms thinking from half-random mental chatter into a powerful and focused way of understanding; at the same time, the knowledge that comes out of meditation of this sort can have a good deal of value on its own terms."

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. since they are objectless/undirected. A maximum of ten minutes is also not a universal feature.
That I will not agree to, 'objectless/undirected'. The object still is stilling the mind. 10 minutes may not be a universal rule, but longer meditation is for pleasure/bliss or siddhis/woo. That should be avoided. Why not have a calm mind even while being engaged in your worldly duties?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
That I will not agree to, 'objectless/undirected'. The object still is stilling the mind. 10 minutes may not be a universal rule, but longer meditation is for pleasure/bliss or siddhis/woo. That should be avoided. Why not have a calm mind even while being engaged in your worldly duties?
First, this isn't a debate forum.

Second, what authority do you have to say what should and shouldn't be avoided with regard to meditative practice?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
We'll have to agree to disagree then. "Objectless" is a common term for practices such as zazen and when I have attended Buddhist establishments meditation periods are always longer than ten minutes.