• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does this verse mean to you?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
You just need to learn from your mistakes! That's it really.
And you think mankind is doing that?

Men, with their vain greed & selfishness, are destroying the earth! At a rate never before observed!

Ecclesiastes 8:9…
“All of this I have seen, and I applied my heart to every work that has been done under the sun, during the time that man has dominated man to his harm.”

That was written over 3,000 years ago, and it’s even more true today.

nPeace

Veteran Member
To me it means, when you are at your weakest, I am at my most powerful.
In other words, when you're in a position of weakness, you will beg for my help.
The OP said...
I've always wondered what the true meaning of those verses is.

So, while you have much to say about God and the Bible, what you have to say, is not the true meaning of the verse. The true meaning of the verse means nothing to you... as seen below.

A terrible thing to teach people. You empower people by making them self reliant and independent, autonomous. You're literally suggesting people should be taught to rely on someone else. Taught that you are too weak and feeble to exist without a deity to beg and plead with, to prop you up.

Yuck. What a hideous philosophy, imo of course.
No offence but that is one of the most grotesque things I've heard someone say for a while.
I don't mean to gross you out, but if these are a little too gross for you, perhaps you might want to just curse the Bible and its author, and leave it at that, because the entire Bible is against your thinking... and it's not going to change.
So, you might want to get used to the fact that you can't destroy it, as many in the past tried and failed to do, and you can't prevent billions from seeing its value.

These verses support the true meaning of the verse referred to in the OP.
(Proverbs 3:5, 6) 5Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, And do not rely on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways take notice of him, And he will make your paths straight.
(Proverbs 28:26) Whoever trusts in his own heart is stupid, But the one who walks in wisdom will escape.
Psalms 146

In other words, don't fill a bag of holes with sand, where at the end of the day you will have nothing.
(Proverbs 16:18-20) 18Pride is before a crash, And a haughty spirit before stumbling. 19 Better to be humble among the meek Than to share the spoil of the haughty. 20 The one who shows insight in a matter will find success, And happy is the one trusting in Jehovah.

I will turn to me. As always.
If I fail, I learn. If I succeed, I learn, all is learning.
That was the mistake of the first couple, according to the Genesis account, and the result of all the misery on earth is due to pride, and an independent self reliant spirit. Ezekiel 28:17

Is this not the attitude we see permeating the world, and is it not the same attitude that people realize is the very root of global issues.
Why do you think there are ongoing wars, and conflict.... disobedience to parents... opposition and contempt of authority... ?

The "Me" generation is a term referring to Baby Boomers in the United States and the self-involved qualities associated with this generation. The 1970s was dubbed the "Me decade" by writer Tom Wolfe; Christopher Lasch wrote about the rise of a culture of narcissism among younger Baby Boomers. The phrase became popular at a time when "self-realization" and "self-fulfillment" were becoming cultural aspirations to which young people supposedly ascribed higher importance than social responsibility.

The 1970s have been described as a transitional era when the self-help of the 1960s became self-gratification, and eventually devolved into the selfishness of the 1980s.

The Rise of "Me" Culture
Almost half a century after the “Me Generation” made headlines with its focus on the self, individualism is well on the way to becoming one of the central themes of the 21st century. Baby boomers did indeed look out for #1 in the hedonistic, therapeutic 1970s, but now individualism—acting in one’s own interests versus those of an organized group or government—is arguably the guiding principle of our times. It’s important to remember that from a historical view the idea and practice of individualism is a radical concept. The Enlightenment ideals of the 18th century were in opposition to the all-encompassing power of church and state that had endured for a millennium, and laid the seeds for the continual ascent of individualism over the past few hundred years.

Millennials: The Me Me Me Generation

Pride is before a crash.
You don't often see it coming.
You don't often recover from it.

Little Dragon

So, while you have much to say about God and the Bible, what you have to say, is not the true meaning of the verse. The true meaning of the verse means nothing to you... as seen below.
You do not get to determine what the true meaning of anything is. Certainly not biblical interpretation. I will simply dismiss your assertions.
That was the mistake of the first couple, according to the Genesis account, and the result of all the misery on earth is due to pride, and an independent self reliant spirit. Ezekiel 28:17
I do not believe such nonsense as the fable of Adam and Eve nor the vile and wicked concept of original sin. I believe in self reliance and independence. As for pride, that is not part of it. Your judgement is laughable. Do not judge me, for you are not in any position to do so.
Baby boomers did indeed look out for #1 in the hedonistic, therapeutic 1970s, but now individualism—acting in one’s own interests versus those of an organized group or government—is arguably the guiding principle of our times.
I could not care less about my government or any government, since they are essentially composed of the corrupt and self serving. I do not care about any particular organised group either. Government is a necessary evil, that is all. Politicians come and go and I don't give a damn about any of them. I accept the need for government, but I have no particular reverence for it. If we could get rid ourselves of it, I would be on board with that.
Individualism is not about acting in one's own interests. Individualism is about freedom of expression, freedom of thought, freedom of choice. It's about personal responsibility, instead of blaming demons and talking serpents for my failures, I blame me. Instead of begging others to fix me, I will fix myself, by learning from my mistakes. Hopefully.
Which is antithetical to those that seek to control others, like the theists and their priests and churches.

Last edited:

Little Dragon

I don't mean to gross you out, but if these are a little too gross for you, perhaps you might want to just curse the Bible and its author, and leave it at that, because the entire Bible is against your thinking... and it's not going to change.
I am not going to just leave it that my friend. There is much to say and much to counter. The Bible and what it symbolizes is antithetical to everything I know and stand for. However I am not looking for that to change. That is not my motivation here or anywhere. I hope to show others what I see.
So, you might want to get used to the fact that you can't destroy it, as many in the past tried and failed to do, and you can't prevent billions from seeing its value.
Why destroy the Bible? I want people to see what the Bible for what it really is. A man made tool of control, manipulation, fear and social engineering.

Little Dragon

The "Me" generation is a term referring to Baby Boomers in the United States and the self-involved qualities associated with this generation. The 1970s was dubbed the "Me decade" by writer Tom Wolfe; Christopher Lasch wrote about the rise of a culture of narcissism among younger Baby Boomers. The phrase became popular at a time when "self-realization" and "self-fulfillment" were becoming cultural aspirations to which young people supposedly ascribed higher importance than social responsibility.
This is irrelevant, your judgement is irrelevant.

Little Dragon

And you think mankind is doing that?

Men, with their vain greed & selfishness, are destroying the earth! At a rate never before observed!
The Earth will be fine, humanity can only mess up it's own life support system, the global ecology. Life will recover after humanity is long gone.
I don't actually care (philosophically) if humanity is collectively destroyed. That is just the way of things. Species come and go. It is inevitable.

I was talking about my mistakes. Not the collective error of humanity, for which I am not responsible. Imagine if everyone took personal responsibility for themselves?

Last edited:

Little Dragon

You live in a country, right? It’s got its rule of law by which you need to live, and pay taxes.

You’re not as autonomous as you might think.
A pointless response. I am as autonomous as I can be in a nation state. A democratic nation state, in which personal autonomy is valued.

Little Dragon

I do not need Gods or holy books to tell me where I am going wrong. I am more than capable of ascertaining that myself.

*annoyed*

wellwisher

2 Cor 12...but about myself I will not boast, except about my weaknesses......,
...God said “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses,* in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me.

I've always wondered what the true meaning of those verses is. They are verses that keeps replaying in my head like a broken record.

What is the meaning of those verses in your opinion? To me it all boils down to humility. Weakness makes us humble and more needy of God's help.
Weakness is not a favorable state for the ego. If you were rich, you; ego, can go through life controlling and using the outer world to get all your needs and buzzes of life, though your means and your five senses. You can surround yourself with boot lickers, who will tell you, you are always right. You can use the outer world to satisfy any need you have. You can travel the world.

If you are poor and weak, this level of environmental control is not an option. Your senses can still see luxury, but that will bring to mind, what you do not have and may cause anger or depression. So you need to find a way to find joy in life, but, by default, it has to a way that does not involve the outer world, that is forever beyond your control. One may need to create their own inner perception of reality, that can see beauty in simple things, or in ethereal things. This connects one to the inner man or inner child. The small child can be poor, but they can be full of joy de vie. They are more right brained and connected to the unconscious and imagination.

The parable of the rich man having a hard time entering heaven, was about him spending too much time in the outer world, due to his money and means. This path did successfully serve his ego, but it often willful distorting reality, in his ego's favor; you're the greatest. The poor man, does not have this option, so he needs to find his inner peace and hope, in another way, that involve the imagination; inner man. The rich man has done nothing evil, but he did not have to exercise, the parts of the brain, needed to get to the other side the weak man could find. The rich man is not prepared properly, for the other world, that the poor man had to find sooner, to achieve inner peace and happiness; Paul then boosts of his weakness on the other side.

This is why Priests and Nuns vow poverty, celibacy, etc. Those things of the outer world, that they need to give up, could bring a type of sensory and ego happiness. It works for many people. However, they need to willfully repress this common cultural path, and learn to adapt their mind to find the joy of life, in other way, that is not egocentric material, or even necessarily sensory based. It is exercise in willpower and choice, that will push back, often over a lifetime. But the push back and will cause the brain to rewire itself, differently, until the circuit is complete; update.

Like a computer update, this occur during down time, and not when the computer is up and running at full speed. But after the pause and update, it has new capacities and options that it did not have before; perfection in weakness.

RestlessSoul

Weakness is not a favorable state for the ego. If you were rich, you; ego, can go through life controlling and using the outer world to get all your needs and buzzes of life, though your means and your five senses. You can surround yourself with boot lickers, who will tell you, you are always right. You can use the outer world to satisfy any need you have. You can travel the world.

If you are poor and weak, this level of environmental control is not an option. Your senses can still see luxury, but that will bring to mind, what you do not have and may cause anger or depression. So you need to find a way to find joy in life, but, by default, it has to a way that does not involve the outer world, that is forever beyond your control. One may need to create their own inner perception of reality, that can see beauty in simple things, or in ethereal things. This connects one to the inner man or inner child. The small child can be poor, but they can be full of joy de vie. They are more right brained and connected to the unconscious and imagination.

The parable of the rich man having a hard time entering heaven, was about him spending too much time in the outer world, due to his money and means. This path did successfully serve his ego, but it often willful distorting reality, in his ego's favor; you're the greatest. The poor man, does not have this option, so he needs to find his inner peace and hope, in another way, that involve the imagination; inner man. The rich man has done nothing evil, but he did not have to exercise, the parts of the brain, needed to get to the other side the weak man could find. The rich man is not prepared properly, for the other world, that the poor man had to find sooner, to achieve inner peace and happiness; Paul then boosts of his weakness on the other side.

This is why Priests and Nuns vow poverty, celibacy, etc. Those things of the outer world, that they need to give up, could bring a type of sensory and ego happiness. It works for many people. However, they need to willfully repress this common cultural path, and learn to adapt their mind to find the joy of life, in other way, that is not egocentric material, or even necessarily sensory based. It is exercise in willpower and choice, that will push back, often over a lifetime. But the push back and will cause the brain to rewire itself, differently, until the circuit is complete; update.

Like a computer update, this occur during down time, and not when the computer is up and running at full speed. But after the pause and update, it has new capacities and options that it did not have before; perfection in weakness.

Put another way, the poor, the weak, the sick and the sorry, are those most likely to receive the Gift of Desperation.

nPeace

Veteran Member
You do not get to determine what the true meaning of anything is. Certainly not biblical interpretation. I will simply dismiss your assertions.
Of course I don't.
God already did that, by having multiple writers convey explanations... and interpretations.

So the whole my interpretation your interpretation is a farce. It doesn't work.
The interpretations are already given by God.

I do not believe such nonsense as the fable of Adam and Eve nor the vile and wicked concept of original sin. I believe in self reliance and independence. As for pride, that is not part of it. Your judgement is laughable. Do not judge me, for you are not in any position to do so.
That was the mistake of the first couple, according to the Genesis account, and the result of all the misery on earth is due to pride, and an independent self reliant spirit. Ezekiel 28:17 is judging you?
Boy, this world sure has a sick view of what judging is.

You tell them people were more caring and less selfish in the past, and they consider that judging them.
I shouldn't be surprised though, since the conduct of decent people do condemn the indecent.
I hope that isn't taken as me calling him indecent.

I could not care less about my government or any government, since they are essentially composed of the corrupt and self serving. I do not care about any particular organised group either. Government is a necessary evil, that is all. Politicians come and go and I don't give a damn about any of them. I accept the need for government, but I have no particular reverence for it. If we could get rid ourselves of it, I would be on board with that.
Individualism is not about acting in one's own interests. Individualism is about freedom of expression, freedom of thought, freedom of choice. It's about personal responsibility, instead of blaming demons and talking serpents for my failures, I blame me. Instead of begging others to fix me, I will fix myself, by learning from my mistakes. Hopefully.
Which is antithetical to those that seek to control others, like the theists and their priests and churches.
Okay.

I am not going to just leave it that my friend. There is much to say and much to counter. The Bible and what it symbolizes is antithetical to everything I know and stand for. However I am not looking for that to change. That is not my motivation here or anywhere. I hope to show others what I see.

Why destroy the Bible? I want people to see what the Bible for what it really is. A man made tool of control, manipulation, fear and social engineering.
Okay.

This is irrelevant, your judgement is irrelevant.
Judgement?
m1709.gif
Aren't you judging me?

Little Dragon

The interpretations are already given by God.
What a silly thing to say, I interpret the Bible verse, when I read it. God does not interpret and re iterate for me. Neither shall you.

I honestly do not understand you at all. Not that it matters.

Little Dragon

That was the mistake of the first couple, according to the Genesis account, and the result of all the misery on earth is due to pride, and an independent self reliant spirit. Ezekiel 28:17 is judging you?
You do not know if I am prideful or not, and your personal and irrelevant judgement is deeply resented and unasked for.

Little Dragon

I shouldn't be surprised though, since the conduct of decent people do condemn the indecent.
I hope that isn't taken as me calling him indecent.
Well of course it is taken that way. However an insulting epithet from a hostile theist is interpreted as a compliment. So. Thank you. :hearteyes:

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
You do not know if I am prideful or not, and your personal and irrelevant judgement is deeply resented and unasked for.

I'd like to say that I respect you even more for standing up for yourself and not succumbing to the negative replies to you in this thread. Speaking from personal experience as a former Christian, it does take some courage and inner strength to stand up for yourself and confront the negativity head-on.

Little Dragon

I'd like to say that I respect you even more for standing up for yourself and not succumbing to the negative replies to you in this thread. Speaking from personal experience as a former Christian, it does take courage and inner strength to stand up for yourself and confront the negativity head-on.
Thanks Sgt Pepper. I will not brook any personal attacks, insinuated or otherwise. I will respond. :p