• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the fossil record say?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
So when can we expect dogs to give birth to eagles?
What's that? But...but...NewHope assured me that no creationist here was ever so stupid as to say anything like that! Yet here we are....

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
http://www.globalsciencebooks.info/JournalsSup/images/WebJournals/FOB_4(SI1)IssueInformation.pdf

See the term “peer-reviewed“ on page 1?
See the impressive list of “peers?”
Note the date - only 4 months ago.

He stated a hypothesis in the actual paper, not the "Abstract" you presented here. His paper directed the reader to other ID proponents...but in his paper for his hypothesis he never backed up his assertion with any testable data. So, again, while this was peer reviewed in an obscure journal (i.e. a textbook publishing house started back in 2005) instead of being published in (AAAS - The World's Largest General Scientific Society or Nature Publishing Group : science journals, jobs, and information ) it remains an opinion. In his closing he cites Behe on (irreducible complexity) another one of those debunked hypotheses.

Last edited:

meogi

wilsoncole said:
Now you can proceed to denigrate Jastrow in your usual fashion.
? What does any of that have to do with the circular reasoning I was pointing out? It does amuse me that you have a bag of tricks you seem to randomly pull out of.

You can't assume something and then prove it. That's part of assumption, it's already true. We disagree on the assumption that there is an artist.

me said:
Do animals sin?
wilsoncole said:
Then why do animals die?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Yep! First, you targeted me and found that I am not so easily broken.

No one's trying the break you....don't flatter yourself. This is simply a debate forum. I lose no sleep over the fact that you don't know what you're talking about.

Your latest attack is now focused on the Bible and you lie about it.

No...It's been focused on you and your creation narrative. This is self evident from the many biblical passages you've been presenting here.

That book is far above any science textbook you ever heard of because it gives a reason for morality, the purpose and sanctity of life, making a success of marriage and family responsibility, honesty in business dealings and in life, love of God and fellow humans, proper care of earth and its animal inhabitants, how to achieve real and lasting peace in a world of violence, the correct use of knowledge (wisdom,) unerring prophecy and the future of humanity and the earth, none of which seems to be important to you.

And this is irrelevant to the thread topic.

This answer is a blanket condemnation of religion which is totally irrelevant.
Which of these things are important to you and how can the fossil record help you to achieve them?

They're irrelevant to the thread topic.

Yet, it has outlasted all other forms of knowledge or schools of learning and will continue to do so.

Actually Hinduism and Buddhism. are older than Christianity.

How is the fossil record helping the people in stricken Japan? What suggestions does it have for the future of nuclear energy?

It's an irrelevant thread question......Why do you keep confusing biology with philosophy and sociology...

ON THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS, THE FOSSIL RECORD IS USELESS!

It depends on what you deem important. To some religious people it isn't. To those who want an understanding on the diversity of species on this planet it is.

But is does promote and support your religion (evolution) so, you hang on for dear life.

What religion would that be?

Life comes only from life.
That is a FACT!

Are you saying that life can emerge from non-living materials unaided?

Are you now moving the goal post? Are you now saying life CAN come from non-life but it has to be "aided"....or are you adamant that life can (only) come from life (period)?

None of this has anything to do with the fossil record, so, who you kiddn’?

Are you serious? Do you mean to tell me that anthropology has nothing to do with fossils? Are you serious that Dentistry can not tell us anything as to who we are as a species? Are you serious that Osteology (the study of bones) can not tell us about bones?.....:facepalm:

Then stop targeting me and the Bible on this thread. OK? As long as you do, I will respond to it.

Did you understand the response? Paleontology, Anthropology as well as Biology have everything to do with this thread. You are involved in a thread where these sciences are used in connection with the fossil record. Your bible creation narrative is out of sync with what we know of the natural world, the fossil record and the diversity of species on this planet. You are the target because you choose to be involved. Your bible is the target because that is the information of choice you base your life and understanding off.

So when can we expect dogs to give birth to eagles?

You have no understanding of Evolution which is why you ask silly questions such as this. This is common amongst creationist even after being told over and over that the ToE never ever suggest such an event.

Last edited:

camanintx

More jokes! No foundation, no first floor. Since no architect would agree with you, would you mind illustrating that?
Does your house have a slab foundation or a crawlspace? Does either type prevent you from building a second or even third story? Again, you need to put more thought into your analogies.

wilsoncole

He stated a hypothesis in the actual paper, not the "Abstract" you presented here. His paper directed the reader to other ID proponents...but in his paper for his hypothesis he never backed up his assertion with any testable data.
This is false information. He did it in his work and reported extensively on it. See below.
So, again, while this was peer revised in an obscure journal (i.e. a textbook publishing house started back in 2005) instead of being published in (AAAS - The World's Largest General Scientific Society or Nature Publishing Group : science journals, jobs, and information ) it remains an opinion. In his closing he cites Behe on (irreducible complexity) another one of those debunked hypotheses.
It is not up to you to decide where a person gets his work published.
You are unable to show me where or when his paper has been rejected by the "scientific community."
Let me see you prove that.

The ToE has you all messed up.
1. You are unable to get past your prejudices.
2. You exhibit a marked hatred for a man named Behe, a person you do not even know. How do I know? You NEVER say anything nice about him.
3. You summarily dismiss any information that disagrees with the ToE.
4. You demonstrate a religious fervor for the ToE, a fervor that could drive you to violence.
5. You seem to be at war with God and Lonnig.

You are in for a terrible shock.

Which "paper" are you talking about? He has a lot of peer-reviewed papers.
Wolf-Ekkehard Lönnig Literaturverzeichnis
Never backed up what "assertion?"
No testable data?
If this is the paper you're referring to, read carefully:
"(2) In biology the term “law” is often interchangeably used with the label “rule”, as in the case of the Mendelian “rules” or “laws”. Strictly speaking, a law makes testable predictions on the basis of a set of preconditions and does not permit any exceptions from its deductions. Since so far I do not know of any valid exceptions of this principle for induced and spontaneous random mutations as deduced above, I presently prefer to speak of the “law” of recurrent variation sensu stricto (researchers should, perhaps, constantly remind themselves that not only mutation breeding but also any expectations to artificially ‘speed up evolution’ (Muller) by mutations in the wild largely failed because of this law)."
http://www.weloennig.de/Loennig-Long-Version-of-Law-of-Recurrent-Variation.pdf

You'd better read his work all over again.
BTW:
What is "Dollo's Law?"
And Vavilov’s "Law of Homologous Series in Variation?"
How have these "laws" been dealt with in the "scientific community?"

Consider:
"How is it possible that cases of insufficient or even false evidence for natural selection can be bolstered and presented in such a way that it appears to be so convincing and entirely compelling that even the best minds of the world can be grossly misled - even to the point of modifying a published evaluation on this topic?"
(Wolf-Ekkehard Lönnig)

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Last edited:

wilsoncole

? What does any of that have to do with the circular reasoning I was pointing out? It does amuse me that you have a bag of tricks you seem to randomly pull out of.

You can't assume something and then prove it. That's part of assumption, it's already true. We disagree on the assumption that there is an artist.

Then why do animals die?
Evolution should have told you.
Man was made to live forever. His continued existence depended on his taking directions from his maker. He rebelled and had to pay the penalty of death.
Animals were not made to live forever. They were not given any conditions under which to continue living.
Obedient men will once again be allowed to live forever, right here on earth.
“And just a little while longer, and the wicked one will be no more; And you will certainly give attention to his place, and he will not be. But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace....The righteous themselves will possess the earth,
And they will reside forever upon it.” (Psalm 37:10-11,29)
“He will actually swallow up death forever, and the Sovereign Lord Jehovah will certainly wipe the tears from all faces. And the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth, for Jehovah himself has spoken [it].” (Isaiah 25:8)
“And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”. . .” (Revelation 21:4)
Well - you asked.
You don't believe - your loss.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
"Stupid questions don't deserve an answer."
I really hope you remember that line.
In case you don't, I will be reminding you constantly.

So we have to get back to this:

How did life on earth get its start?
Is abiogenesis a fact?
Go ahead - show me the facts.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Show us what on earth it has to do with this thread.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Stupid questions do not deserve an answer.
Read the statement with comprehension:
"Can you show me evidence from the fossil record that any animals were incomplete at their first appearance on earth?"
Clearly, it is saying there is no such thing.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
Yup, there's no such thing--just as the Theory of Evolution predicts. Once again you have verified ToE...because you have no idea what it says. Any interest in learning?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The fossil record does not show changes in basic animal types.

"Niles Eldredge, a staunch evolutionist, states that the fossil record shows, not that there is a gradual accumulation of change, but that for long periods of time, “little or no evolutionary change accumulates in most species.”

Do you agree with him that punctuated equilibrium better describes how species evolve?

Because you would never just twist his words to mean something entirely different, would you? That would be lying.

Krok

Like Grimm - right?
No, not at all. Do you have the intelligence to know what empirical evidence is? Do you have the intelligence to recognize empirical evidence when you see it? It doesn&#8217;t seem like it, as you can&#8217;t distinguish between fiction and fact. Luckily other people are intelligent enough to do that. So much so that 99.9% of all trained scientists accepted Darwin&#8217;s theory after studying that evidence.

We agree on that.
Why do you keep on quoting from Superman then?

I won't waste time with that. You will never understand. I will tell you that all of your cities will soon be destroyed.
According to your book Superman &#8220;predicted&#8221; something similar more than 2000 years ago. Something about it happening before the end of that generation. Hasn&#8217;t happened yet. Don&#8217;t believe Superman. It&#8217;s only fiction.

&#8220;Make the heart.....
midst of the land.&#8221; (Isaiah 6:10-12)
Another quote from Superman. I don&#8217;t believe fiction anymore, I&#8217;ve actually grown-up.
This is a religious forum and I am doing religion. It is you who shouldn't be here. Go to a science page.
Keep on doing it. You show the whole world how irrational your religion is.

Religion is what I do. If you talk to me, that's all you'll get.
You should read a bit wider. You might learn a lot more. Superman is only fiction and is of no value to the world outside, except for entertaining children.

Krok

or scaring them...
:eek:
I don't know, as Superman never scared me when I was a child.

During that time I was indoctrinated to "believe" in Jesus and I was really scared by the prospect of hell. What a relief it was to start thinking and realising that the hell contradicts the other beliefs I was forced to believe. Eventually reality liberated me from all those silly beliefs and scare tactics. My realisation that Superman comes from exactly the same sources (the brains of humans) as Jesus and Thor and Allah and fairies and Santa Claus opened the world to me. Scare tactics didn't work on me anymore after that. I'm not scared of threads about ghosts going to get me eventually (even after death). Liberation! Freedom!

Now I can just enjoy human creativity.

Last edited:

wilsoncole

No one's trying the break you....don't flatter yourself. This is simply a debate forum. I lose no sleep over the fact that you don't know what you're talking about.
I have a feeling that you lose sleep over the fact that I won't fall for your evolution junk.
First, you targeted me and found that I am not so easily broken. Your latest attack is now focused on the Bible and you lie about it.
No...It's been focused on you and your creation narrative. This is self evident from the many biblical passages you've been presenting here.
Yet, it has outlasted all other forms of knowledge or schools of learning and will continue to do so. It also contains the answers to all the situations mentioned above and has been the source of comfort to millions of people the world over.
Actually Hinduism and Buddhism. are older than Christianity.
So - you think the Bible = Christianity? Buddah lived about 600 B.C.E. Moses wrote 900 years before that and we still read and study his writings today.
The oldest known Hindu writings date back to the 4th century B.C.E
Are you now moving the goal post? Are you now saying life CAN come from non-life but it has to be "aided"....or are you adamant that life can (only) come from life (period)?
Life only comes from life. Clear enough?
You are the target because you choose to be involved. Your bible is the target because that is the information of choice you base your life and understanding off.
You think I don't know that?
If a person is going to lie, he should have a perfect memory.
You seem to forget what you wrote above: "No one's trying the break you....don't flatter yourself." Why, else would you "target" me and the Bible?
So, now its finally out in the open. Your real life's mission is to destroy the faith of believers by planting the seeds of doubt and by filling their minds with so-called "scientific enlightenment." That's precisely what I said and you denied it.
First you targeted me, and now, the Bible, my source of lasting strength. You will not win. It has served to keep me and my associates safe, totally apart from a world alienated from God.
The Bible cannot be destroyed. It is God's word to his loyal followers.
Well - fire away. People like me have long withstood everything you could throw at us and will continue to do so. Know why? We have protection. If you don't believe me, keep coming. Like David:
“In turn David said to the Phi&#8231;lis&#8242;tine: “You are coming to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I am coming to you with the name of Jehovah of armies, the God of the battle lines of Israel, whom you have taunted.” (1 Samuel 17:45)

We have this assurance:
“Any weapon whatever that will be formed against you will have no success, and any tongue at all that will rise up against you in the judgment you will condemn. This is the hereditary possession of the servants of Jehovah, and their righteousness is from me,” is the utterance of Jehovah.” (Isaiah 54:17) You and your attacks will vanish and we will be still standing tall.
Hitler swore to exterminate us as did the Russian government. They failed.

What you know of the natural world does not equip you to deal wisely with it. You and your technology are destroying it. It is YOU who must be stopped at all costs or you will manage to stop all life on earth.
Still - you are unable to tell me the origin of life - the life that gave existence to those holy fossils of yours. Evolution falls flat on that vital question.
The bible tells me everything I need to know in order to live a quiet life of love for fellow men and in peace with all kinds of people.
Evolution cannot accomplish that. And your holy fossils haven't got a clue.
You have no understanding of Evolution which is why you ask silly questions such as this.
Oh I understand evolution very well. I will never accept nor believe it.
The question was meant to be a joke, m*ke.
Dogs CANNOT give birth to chickens. They are of different kinds.
Apes CANNOT become humans, no matter how many times you say it. See:

Access : Chimpanzee and human Y chromosomes are remarkably divergent in structure and gene content : Nature

The Bible points out that the flesh of the various kinds of living things differs.
“Not all flesh is the same flesh, but there is one of mankind, and there is another flesh of cattle, and another flesh of birds, and another of fish.” (1 Corinthians 15:39)
This has been found to be the case by researchers; they have noted that the chemical composition and cellular structure of the flesh of mankind, beasts, birds, and fish vary greatly. This situation CANNOT be changed.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

wilsoncole

You are the target because you choose to be involved. Your bible is the target because that is the information of choice you base your life and understanding off.
So you choose to contend with God and his followers.
Consider:
“For a fact I do know that it is so. But how can mortal man be in the right in a case with God? If he should find delight in contending with him, He cannot answer him once out of a thousand. He is wise in heart and strong in power. Who can show stubbornness to him and come off uninjured?” (Job 9:2-4)

You will end up all scratched up.

I am going to have to tell you about "Foursquare."

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

wilsoncole

I don't know, as Superman never scared me when I was a child.

During that time I was indoctrinated to "believe" in Jesus and I was really scared by the prospect of hell. What a relief it was to start thinking and realising that the hell contradicts the other beliefs I was forced to believe. Eventually reality liberated me from all those silly beliefs and scare tactics. My realisation that Superman comes from exactly the same sources (the brains of humans) as Jesus and Thor and Allah and fairies and Santa Claus opened the world to me. Scare tactics didn't work on me anymore after that. I'm not scared of threads about ghosts going to get me eventually (even after death). Liberation! Freedom!

Now I can just enjoy human creativity.
Mr. Krok,
Those are the lies of Christendom.
None of it is scriptural truth.
No wonder you've lost your sense of direction.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Krok

Mr. Krok, Those are the lies of Christendom.
Yes, I know. This sect of Christendom rejects that sect of Christendom who rejects the next sect of Christendom, who rejects the next and next sects of Christendom, more than 30 000 of them in a row. I was raised in one of them, remember? Catholics and Jehovas and Seventh Day Adventists and Anglicans and whatever are going directly to hell, no pause involved.
None of it is scriptural truth.
Apparantly not. You are the only one who's got the magic decoder ring and understands it all perfectly. I don't understand anything about it.
No wonder you've lost your sense of direction.
I've actually got great direction. My life is going extremely well, my career is also going extremely well (I plan to retire in a year or two fishing the warm Indian Ocean from my stoep (verandah) with my wife,of nearly 26 years, by my side. That's my heaven. I'm turning 47 this month. My wife is a Chemist, blonde, beautiful, skinny, (and way more intelligent than me, psst, don't ever tell her I said that). My children left the house, well educated, in a wonderful country, with great careers ahead of them. I've never lost any sense of direction. Life is so agreeable to me, heaven can't ever be better. (If I have to play the harp over there for all eternity, now that would really suck).

Last edited: