• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the Brazen Serpent represent?

Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me about this symbol.
http://www.library.nd.edu/about/symbols_of_christ/brazen_serpent.shtml
brazen_serpent.shtml

That link you provided summed it up fairly well. I'd add to it that the serpent being brazen represents judgement, and the serpent (which was cursed back in Gen 3) was lifted up in the desert and people who looked upon lived if they had been bitten by a serpent. (Numbers 21.)

To line that up with Christ, if people were afflicted with sin (the bite of the serpent) then they could look upon Jesus on the cross and have eternal life in Heaven. Jesus took all the sin, curses ("cursed is anyone who hangs on a tree") and judgement upon himself going all the way back to Adam (shown by the crown of thorns) and was "lifted up" upon the cross.

Later on the serpent had become an idol (and in some ways the image of the cross has become an idol for some people today) and was destoryed (2 Kings 18.)

Sultan Of Swing

That link you provided summed it up fairly well. I'd add to it that the serpent being brazen represents judgement, and the serpent (which was cursed back in Gen 3) was lifted up in the desert and people who looked upon lived if they had been bitten by a serpent. (Numbers 21.)

To line that up with Christ, if people were afflicted with sin (the bite of the serpent) then they could look upon Jesus on the cross and have eternal life in Heaven. Jesus took all the sin, curses ("cursed is anyone who hangs on a tree") and judgement upon himself going all the way back to Adam (shown by the crown of thorns) and was "lifted up" upon the cross.

Later on the serpent had become an idol (and in some ways the image of the cross has become an idol for some people today) and was destoryed (2 Kings 18.)

Great explanation. It was exactly what I was going to say, but I would have taken much longer to say it. :)

Levite

Higher and Higher
brazen_serpent.shtml

This is fascinating. I had no idea that the Christians ever used the copper serpent (the Hebrew phrase nachash ha-nechoshet literally means "serpent of copper," not "brass," which is the common mistranslation) as a symbol.

I have to say, I find it singularly confounding to me that it would be used so, given not only the negative associations that Christian thought has always had with serpents, but given that it eventually had to be destroyed, as mentioned above, because people were turning it into an idol and worshipping it (and called it Nechushtan, meaning "Copper One").

How strange. I'm glad to know about it now.

Sultan Of Swing

I have to say, I find it singularly confounding to me that it would be used so, given not only the negative associations that Christian thought has always had with serpents.
The negative association with serpents is one of the main reasons of its being there. It represents all of the evil and sin that has been put on the cross.

Sultan Of Swing

I suppose that just proves to me that I don't get Christianity....
Why not? Snakes represent all the bad things in Christianity, and are not viewed in a good light, and this is the reason for them to be representing evil. It does not contradict any previous Christian teaching/thinking. Jesus then took up all of the evil and sin of the world upon Himself, on the cross. This can also be represented by the bronze snake, with the bronze representing justice and the snake itself representing all the bad things in the world being placed on the cross. It isn't too hard to understand...

bolcitybol

hello everyone.......................

this is harry.it is my site which is gives you more space at no cost for ads.I hope you like it.

please drop suggestion.

thanks.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
brazen_serpent.shtml

Snakes were used in pagan worship in ancient times, but in terms of christianity Jesus explained the prophetic meaning of the event involving the copper serpent that Moses was instructed to make. Jesus said to Nicodemus: “Moreover, no man has ascended into heaven but he that descended from heaven, the Son of man. And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so the Son of man must be lifted up, that everyone believing in him may have everlasting life.” (Joh 3:13-15)

To Jesus, that serpent symbolized the sacrifice he would make, and the salvation that all those looking to him would receive....just as the hebrews were saved who looked to the snake made by Moses.

Jessica4jesis

The Hebrew word 'nechosheth' is translated as bronze or can have a meaning of brass, brazen or copper. Another word is 'nechuwshah' indicating copper made from melting copper ore or bronze (made from copper and alloy). For example:

Maybe the reason you don't understand is because you think you know it all... And that you can't be wrong...