• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does Son of Man mean?

InvestigateTruth

Tabatabai has a similar view as yours on this verse:

وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمْ آمِنُوا كَمَا آمَنَ النَّاسُ قَالُوا أَنُؤْمِنُ كَمَا آمَنَ السُّفَهَاءُ ۗ أَلَا إِنَّهُمْ هُمُ السُّفَهَاءُ وَلَٰكِنْ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ | And when they are told, ‘Believe like the humans have believed,’ they say, ‘Shall we believe like the fools who have believed?’ Behold! They are themselves the fools, but they do not know. | Al-Baqara : 13

And this can be supported by:

فَأَقِمْ وَجْهَكَ لِلدِّينِ حَنِيفًا ۚ فِطْرَتَ اللَّهِ الَّتِي فَطَرَ النَّاسَ عَلَيْهَا ۚ لَا تَبْدِيلَ لِخَلْقِ اللَّهِ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ الدِّينُ الْقَيِّمُ وَلَٰكِنَّ أَكْثَرَ النَّاسِ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ | So set your heart as a person of primordial/upright faith on this religion, the original nature endowed of Allah according to which He originated mankind. There is no altering Allah’s creation; that is the upright religion, but most people do not know. | Ar-Room : 30
I understand The second verse saying that Upright Religion is to "Create" People with attributes of God (فطرت الله).

Colt

The term "Son of Man" is a Biblical term, that is usually a reference to a Promised Messiah.

Why does the Bible call that Savior "Son of Man"?

It is obvious that, a Messiah, is a human, as we all are and have been. So, any of us, is "Son of Man".

Then what is the point a Messiah is referred as Son of a human, when that is obvious?

I give my opinion on this, but I am waiting for your view.

In the View of Bible, no body is really human. We are just a kind of animal, sometimes cruel, wild, selfish or at best like a goat.

To become a human, we needed to aquire certain characteristics in terms of spirituality and behavior, so we can be called human. Human not just biologically, but Spiritually.

Thus, in the mind of Bible, a True human must be born, so, He shows everyone else, what a human is supposed to be like. We needed a role model to define for us "human". That is why, the Bible said, wait for the human to be born. "Son of Man" was that promise.
I really believe this, but still I feel God wasn't very successful
Jesus chose the title "Son of Man" and not Messiah because his identity and mission was best represented as the Son of Man in the Book of Enoch who gave up his heavenly glory to come down and live as man.

The term "Son of Man" is a Biblical term, that is usually a reference to a Promised Messiah.

Why does the Bible call that Savior "Son of Man"?

It is obvious that, a Messiah, is a human, as we all are and have been. So, any of us, is "Son of Man".

Then what is the point a Messiah is referred as Son of a human, when that is obvious?

I give my opinion on this, but I am waiting for your view.

In the View of Bible, no body is really human. We are just a kind of animal, sometimes cruel, wild, selfish or at best like a goat.

To become a human, we needed to aquire certain characteristics in terms of spirituality and behavior, so we can be called human. Human not just biologically, but Spiritually.

Thus, in the mind of Bible, a True human must be born, so, He shows everyone else, what a human is supposed to be like. We needed a role model to define for us "human". That is why, the Bible said, wait for the human to be born. "Son of Man" was that promise.
I really believe this, but still I feel God wasn't very successfu

“Son of man” calls attention to Jesus being of the human race by virtue of his fleshly birth. (Ezekiel 3:17; Daniel 8:17) Compared to not being a spirit being that could be materialize with a body such as he and angel have done before in others scriptural accounts.

Jesus would now be subjected to temptations and totally experience undesirable conditions that all human are subjected with. This is a more accurate and indisputable means to test his loyalty and prove Satan a liar.-Job 2:5.

Ebionite

The title "Son of Man" refers to Jesus and His earthly mission, it does not refer to the Messiah.
It could also refer to others who repent.

El [is] not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do [it]? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
Numbers 23:19

From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Matthew 4:17

Yokefellow

It could also refer to others who repent.

Yes. It is associated with those who have received the Holy Spirit...

Ezekiel 2:1-2
"And he said unto me, Son of man, stand upon thy feet, and I will speak unto thee. And the spirit entered into me when he spake unto me, and set me upon my feet, that I heard him that spake unto me."

God begins to call Ezekiel 'Son of Man' after that.

Look at Daniel...

Daniel 8:17-19
"So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision. Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright. And he said, Behold, I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be."

The Holy Ghost teaches and brings things to remembrance.

The phrase 'Son of Man' is also a way of referencing those who are Saved.

It also refers to Abraham's Seed and the Promise...

Galatians 3:16
"Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ."

Ultimately, the phrase 'Son of Man' has a 'Born Again' theme to it. :)

Ebionite

Yes. It is associated with those who have received the Holy Spirit...

Ezekiel 2:1-2
"And he said unto me, Son of man, stand upon thy feet, and I will speak unto thee. And the spirit entered into me when he spake unto me, and set me upon my feet, that I heard him that spake unto me."
There isn't anything from Ezekiel 1-2 that would relate to the set-apart spirit.

And there was a voice from the firmament that [was] over their heads, when they stood, [and] had let down their wings.
Ezekiel 1:25

And the living creatures ran and returned as the appearance of a flash of lightning.
Ezekiel 1:14

Look at Daniel...
I saw in the night visions, and, behold, [one] like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
Daniel 7:13

The Holy Ghost teaches and brings things to remembrance.
Yes, there is support for this from the Damascus Document:

"And he informed them through those anointed in his holy spirit and who view his truth of the details of their names."

It also refers to Abraham's Seed and the Promise...

Galatians 3:16
"Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ."
The idea that Christ is the seed isn't supported by by the prophets:

They shall come with weeping, and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim [is] my firstborn.
Jeremiah 31:9

Yokefellow

There isn't anything from Ezekiel 1-2 that would relate to the set-apart spirit.

And there was a voice from the firmament that [was] over their heads, when they stood, [and] had let down their wings.
Ezekiel 1:25

And the living creatures ran and returned as the appearance of a flash of lightning.
Ezekiel 1:14

Thanks @Ebionite . I wanted to share some thoughts on Ezekiel.

Most people have yet to understand that the vision was ultimately a prophecy about the Word becoming flesh.

The Four Living Creatures represent Nucleobases. (A, C, G, T). The Four Faces are the Four Forces of Nature.

The 'Wheels Within Wheels' are what we call Electron Orbitals or 'Shells'. Two Wheels (Shells) represent Elements of Life like Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, etc.

'Spirit' is what Science calls Electromagnetism...

Ezekiel 1:20
"Whithersoever the spirit was to go, they went, thither was their spirit to go; and the wheels were lifted up over against them: for the spirit of the living creature was in the wheels."

The 'Eyes' that orbited in the Shells are representative of Electrons and the Holy Spirit of God. The Spirit was in the Wheels.

The vision is filled with Quantum Mechanics and Particle Physics to show how Life works.

The idea that Christ is the seed isn't supported by by the prophets:

They shall come with weeping, and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim [is] my firstborn.
Jeremiah 31:9

The Bible is filled with Euphemism...

Luke 8:11
"Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God."

It is about DNA, using words like 'Rock' and 'Stone' for example...

Isaiah 51:1-2
"Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged. Look unto Abraham your father, and unto Sarah that bare you: for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him."

Abraham's sperm is being referred to as a 'Rock'. It is synonymous with the 'Stone with Seven Eyes' or what we now call a Nitrogenous Base.

Remember, Eyes represent Electrons...

Zechariah 3:9
"For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone shall be seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day."

The Word of God, the Nucleobase, the Seed, the Stone with Seven Eyes, will receive a new 'engraving' or Genetic Sequence one day to eliminate sin and corruption. In the Book of Revelation, Jesus is shown as the Sperm or Seed of Abraham... the Stone with Seven Eyes...

Revelation 5:6
"And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth."

The Saved receive a 'White Stone' (Seed of Abraham) with a new 'Name' (Genome). Here we see 'Stones' being referred to as Testicles...

Leviticus 21:20
"Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken"

Anyhow, the verse you posted contains euphemism as well. Look at all of the verses together and it will tell as story...
  • Rivers of Water = Semen
  • Straight Way = Semen Traveling in the Phallus
  • Father = Father (Obviously)
  • Mount Zion = Phallus/Male Generative Principle
  • Height of Zion = Semen Exiting the Phallus
  • Flow Together = Semen Entering the Womb
Again, it is euphemism for the Born-Again process. Most people have no idea what they are reading.

Two Sticks (Chromatids) will be joined. Judah and Ephraim. Two Chromatids join in the moment of Conception.

Two Witnesses Chromosome.png

Ebionite

Thanks @Ebionite . I wanted to share some thoughts on Ezekiel.

Most people have yet to understand that the vision was ultimately a prophecy about the Word becoming flesh.
The doctrine of the Word becoming flesh is only found in the gospel of John. The differences between that gospel and the synoptics all favour the Pharisees in John. This, along with the insider information about Caiaphas suggests that the writer of John was a Pharisee. Pharisee doctrine has been a problem for Christianity because of the basic ideological conflict between the nationalism of the Galileans and the accomodationalism of the Herodians and the Pharisees, as reflected in Matthew:

Then went the Pharisees, and took counsel how they might entangle him in [his] talk.
And they sent out unto him their disciples with the Herodians, saying, Master, we know that thou art true, and teachest the way of God in truth, neither carest thou for any [man]: for thou regardest not the person of men.
Tell us therefore, What thinkest thou? Is it lawful to give tribute unto Caesar, or not?
Matthew 22:15-17

The Four Living Creatures represent Nucleobases. (A, C, G, T). The Four Faces are the Four Forces of Nature.
Can you identify a source for this idea, or some rationale that supports it?

As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side: and they four had the face of an ox on the left side; they four also had the face of an eagle.
Ezekiel 1:10

The man, the lion, and the eagle relate to Daniel's vision:

The first [was] like a lion, and had eagle's wings: I beheld till the wings thereof were plucked, and it was lifted up from the earth, and made stand upon the feet as a man, and a man's heart was given to it.
Daniel 7:4

There are associations between the animals and modern nations, eg lion and England, eagle and the U.S.

'Spirit' is what Science calls Electromagnetism...
Spirit relates to the Hebrew word ruach, meaning breath or wind. Electromagnetism is more closely associated with awr, which is the Hebrew word for light.

Yokefellow

Can you identify a source for this idea, or some rationale that supports it?

As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side: and they four had the face of an ox on the left side; they four also had the face of an eagle.
Ezekiel 1:10

I started a new thread to avoid derailing the topic...

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The doctrine of the Word becoming flesh is only found in the gospel of John.
John 1 King James Version (KJV)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

What do you think John 1:1 means? If the Word was with God how can the Word be God?
I have my own interpretation of these verses but I'd like to hear what you think first, before I present that.

What do you think John 1:14 means? How do you think the Word was made flesh?
I have my own interpretation of these verses but I'd like to hear what you think first, before I present that.

Ebionite

What do you think John 1:1 means?

The Word relates to speech bringing things into existence.

And Elohim said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Genesis 1:3

The living Word as Elohim:

And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for [his] only [son], and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for [his] firstborn.
Zechariah 12:10

... which connects to the prophetic Word:

And it shall come to pass, [that] when any shall yet prophesy, then his father and his mother that begat him shall say unto him, Thou shalt not live; for thou speakest lies in the name of YHWH: and his father and his mother that begat him shall thrust him through when he prophesieth.
Zechariah 13:3

What do you think John 1:14 means?
It's an attempt by the writer of John to force-fit his doctrine into the prophetic text relating to the crucifixion using the outlier story of the spear:

But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
And he that saw [it] bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.
For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.
And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.
John 19:34-37

Many [are] the afflictions of the righteous: but YHWH delivereth him out of them all.
He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.
Psalms 34:19-20

Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let YHWH be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.
Psalms 35:27

He shall see of the travail of his soul, [and] shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
Isaiah 53:11

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The Word relates to speech bringing things into existence.

And Elohim said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Genesis 1:3

The living Word as Elohim:

And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for [his] only [son], and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for [his] firstborn.
Zechariah 12:10

... which connects to the prophetic Word:

And it shall come to pass, [that] when any shall yet prophesy, then his father and his mother that begat him shall say unto him, Thou shalt not live; for thou speakest lies in the name of YHWH: and his father and his mother that begat him shall thrust him through when he prophesieth.
Zechariah 13:3

It's an attempt by the writer of John to force-fit his doctrine into the prophetic text relating to the crucifixion using the outlier story of the spear:

But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.
And he that saw [it] bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe.
For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken.
And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.
John 19:34-37

Many [are] the afflictions of the righteous: but YHWH delivereth him out of them all.
He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.
Psalms 34:19-20

Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let YHWH be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.
Psalms 35:27

He shall see of the travail of his soul, [and] shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
Below is my interpretation of the verses.

John 1 King James Version (KJV)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

The Holy Spirit and the Word are the appearance of God. The Spirit and the Word mean the divine perfections that appeared in Jesus Christ, and these perfections were with God. The Word does not mean the body of Jesus but rather the divine perfections manifested in Jesus. Jesus was like a clear mirror and the divine perfections were visible and apparent in this mirror. Therefore, the Word and the Holy Spirit, which signify the perfections of God, are the divine appearance. This is the meaning of the verse which says: “The Word was with God, and the Word was God.”

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

When God sent Jesus, Jesus was “manifested” in the flesh and Jesus dwelt among us. God did not become flesh, but rather the divine perfections of God were manifested in Jesus who came in the flesh and revealed the Word of God to humanity.

1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

God was manifest in the flesh, not incarnated in the flesh. In other words, God did not actually become flesh, as many Christians believe.

Ebionite

The Holy Spirit and the Word are the appearance of God.
"God" is ambiguous. Any attempting to describe the nature of something should use clear terms.

"Given the Greek facts, the Germanic form may have referred in the first instance to the spirit immanent in a burial mound" [Watkins].

Ebionite

Obviously, the word God means different things to different people, since people have different conceptions of God.
I have a conception of God that is based upon my religious beliefs.

God in the Baháʼí Faith

From your link:
The Baháʼí conception of God is of an "unknowable essence"

But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
Matthew 9:13

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of Elohim more than burnt offerings.
Hosea 6:6

In the verse from Hosea, Elohim is translated as "God". Knowledge of Elohim relates to the knowledge of the righteous servant:

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
From your link:
The Baháʼí conception of God is of an "unknowable essence"

But go ye and learn what [that] meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of Elohim more than burnt offerings.

In the verse from Hosea, Elohim is translated as "God". Knowledge of Elohim relates to the knowledge of the righteous servant:

I don't know what you believe those Bible verses mean.
Are you saying that those Bible verses contradict the Baháʼí conception of God as an "unknowable essence"

Ebionite

I don't know what you believe those Bible verses mean.
Are you saying that those Bible verses contradict the Baháʼí conception of God as an "unknowable essence"
We have different perspectives so my interpretation may not be that useful to you. The main idea is that the prophets repudiated animal sacrifice and the gospels build on this by associating Hosea 6:6 with the primary mission of advocating repentance and conveying descriptions of the kingdom.

Increase of knowledge is associated with the time of the end:

But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, [even] to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
Daniel 12:4

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We have different perspectives so my interpretation may not be that useful to you. The main idea is that the prophets repudiated animal sacrifice and the gospels build on this by associating Hosea 6:6 with the primary mission of advocating repentance and conveying descriptions of the kingdom.
I am sure I am not as familiar with the Bible as you are so I am not familiar with Hosea. However, I have interpretations of certain chapters and verses that I am familiar with.
Increase of knowledge is associated with the time of the end:

But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, [even] to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
I am familiar with Daniel 12 and I agree that increase of knowledge is associated with the time of the end.
Below is my interpretation of Daniel 12.

Daniel Chapter 12:8 And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things? 9 And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end. 12 Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days. 13 But go thou thy way till the end be; for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.

Misunderstanding and misinterpretation of the Bible has been a big problem since the very beginning. Christians disagreed as to what the Bible meant and that is why there are so many different sects of Christianity. I believe that Christians have misinterpreted much of the Bible because they did not have the key to unlock the meaning, and that is understandable because it was prophesied in Daniel 12 that the Book would be sealed up until the time of the end, meaning nobody would really understand it.

Note that Dan 12:13 says "at the end of the days.” This chapter is about what will happen at the time of the end, when Christ returns.

12 Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days.

Baha’is believe that the 2,300 years came in 1844 and the book was unsealed by Baha’u’llah. That math is explained in Some Answered Questions, 10: TRADITIONAL PROOFS EXEMPLIFIED FROM THE BOOK OF DANIEL

Unsealing the Book means we can now understand what much of the Bible means that could never be understood before by reading the Baha’i Writings, thus fulfilling the prophecy in Daniel 12:4 that knowledge shall be increased.

Ebionite

it was prophesied in Daniel 12 that the Book would be sealed up until the time of the end, meaning nobody would really understand it.
The time of the end would correspond with the book becoming readable:

And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.
Revelation 5:5

For I [will be] unto Ephraim as a lion, and as a young lion to the house of Judah: I, [even] I, will tear and go away; I will take away, and none shall rescue [him].
Hosea 5:14

Hosea 5:14 leads to a pair of references over the next seven verses:

And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
Luke 24:46

After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.
Hosea 6:2

Revelation 5:5 -> Hosea 5:5 (pride comes before a fall).

And the pride of Israel doth testify to his face: therefore shall Israel and Ephraim fall in their iniquity; Judah also shall fall with them.
Hosea 5:5

Back to Daniel again:

I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved.
And YHWH answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make [it] plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.
For the vision [is] yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.
Behold, his soul [which] is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, [he is] a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell, and [is] as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people:
Habakkuk 2:1-5

As the truth of Christ is in me, no man shall stop me of this boasting in the regions of Achaia.
2 Corinthians 11:10

And back to 5:5 again.

Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all [of you] be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
1 Peter 5:5