• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Does Nirvana Mean?

What does nirvana mean?

• Total voters

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
autonomous1one1 said:
Thank you, Hema! How do the two - Enlightenment and Nirvana - differ if both are achieved while one is still alive?

Well, to me Nirvana and enlightenment are the same...realizing that we are sparks of that Divinity and living in that consciousness. If one is still alive and attains Nirvana, usually he/she serves a great purpose. Such a person becomes a great Guru and carries powerful energy to help raise the kundalini energy / help open the chakras within others. Such a person can transfer spiritual energy to others through a simple look or just by willing it.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Hema said:
Well, to me Nirvana and enlightenment are the same...realizing that we are sparks of that Divinity and living in that consciousness. If one is still alive and attains Nirvana, usually he/she serves a great purpose. Such a person becomes a great Guru and carries powerful energy to help raise the kundalini energy / help open the chakras within others. Such a person can transfer spiritual energy to others through a simple look or just by willing it.
That is the way that I think of them too. My view of the other concepts is similar. One problem we have is that many interpretations exist of most of these terms, Theosis, for example. I can only assume that many, identified in Wiki for example, are written by individuals that have not experienced directly. One can come to a variant definition based on focus on the different resulting characteristics. How do you view Buddha-Nature?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
autonomous1one1 said:
That is the way that I think of them too. My view of the other concepts is similar. One problem we have is that many interpretations exist of most of these terms, Theosis, for example. I can only assume that many, identified in Wiki for example, are written by individuals that have not experienced directly. One can come to a variant definition based on focus on the different resulting characteristics. How do you view Buddha-Nature?

Yes Buddha-Nature can be an option. We are all of the same nature as the Divine, just that most of us haven't realized the full power of it as yet. If I had a choice I would put "One-ness with God" as an option.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Hema said:
Yes Buddha-Nature can be an option. We are all of the same nature as the Divine, just that most of us haven't realized the full power of it as yet. If I had a choice I would put "One-ness with God" as an option.
Yes, so would I. It is surprising, but we are on the same page with these concepts. The concepts represent such an important phenomenon that it is amazing that the phenomenon is not the central theme of anyone leading spiritual development. (But, I guess it is the theme within Hinduism, right? Theosis is the central theme within Eastern Orthodox I believe has been posted.) These concepts for which there is something in each religion are why I say that the true aim of all the major religions is the same.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
autonomous1one1 said:
Yes, so would I. It is surprising, but we are on the same page with these concepts. The concepts represent such an important phenomenon that it is amazing that the phenomenon is not the central theme of anyone leading spiritual development. (But, I guess it is the theme within Hinduism, right? Theosis is the central theme within Eastern Orthodox I believe has been posted.) These concepts for which there is something in each religion are why I say that the true aim of all the major religions is the same.

Swami Vivekananda said, "Man is potentially Divine, only to awaken the Divinity within." So Hinduism says that we all have the potential. It is already inside of us. I'm not sure about what Theosis is though. However I agree with you. Most religions lead to the same point. To me all religions are like different rivers leading to the same ocean - the final destination which is God. The Rig Veda says that Truth is one but is called by many names. I love reading your posts. You are so open minded. I even see that you have "All" under religion. :)

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Engyo said:
I voted other. Sorry, but I can't vote for Depends, though; Nirvana is NOT equivalent to adult diapers.

:spit:
Thanks, Engyo. You made my morning. LOL

*proceeds cleaning up desk*

Peace,
Mystic

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Engyo said:
I voted other. Sorry, but I can't vote for Depends, though; Nirvana is NOT equivalent to adult diapers.
lol, I had the same vote on 'other' but didn't know what the 'depends' meant. Now I know.:)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
autonomous1one1 said:
Greetings Mystic. I am a little confused and this is a very interesting subject. It seems to me that my definition of Enlightenment is more like your definition of Nirvana that it is like your definition of Enlightenment.
Well there is Nibbana and there is Mahaparinibbana. The former involves the cessation of craving etc which means that no more karma is generated, and the latter is when all pre-existing karma is exhausted and one finally leaves the cycle of death and rebirth. Perhaps Enlightenment is equivalent to the former. However, when I think of Nibbana, I think ultimately of Mahaparinibbana, since that is the ultimate "point" of Buddhism.

Random

Nirvana is meant to be indescribable, no? The PURE LAND or Western Paradise of Amitabha is the Buddhist equivalent of Heaven, not Nirvana. Personally, Nirvana to me is the state of being/awareness attained to once one realises all the things that do not comprise the atman or soul are the things being witnessed by the real ME, the Watcher inside. I am not my feelings, forms, ideations and mentations but rather pure awareness or zazen witnessing these things. AS within (Self), so without (World).

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
lilithu said:
Well there is Nibbana and there is Mahaparinibbana. The former involves the cessation of craving etc which means that no more karma is generated, and the latter is when all pre-existing karma is exhausted and one finally leaves the cycle of death and rebirth. Perhaps Enlightenment is equivalent to the former. However, when I think of Nibbana, I think ultimately of Mahaparinibbana, since that is the ultimate "point" of Buddhism.
Greetings Lilithu. That is very interesting - first time I have seen Mahaparinibbana. (I doubt if it makes any difference in your post but I had a typo in my previous post that you quoted - a 'that' should have been a 'than.' I edited the post to be correct.) But it seems to me that Mahaparinibbana is more like the description Mystic gave to Nirvana and I give to Enlightenment since one leaves the cycle of death and rebirth. Am I missing something?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Random said:
The PURE LAND or Western Paradise of Amitabha...

:D Hey, there's an Indian actor called Amitabh Bachan. :sorry1:

amitabh_bachan.jpg

oh my gosh i know this is off topic but i love that actor my absolute faorite movie h did was called "Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna" i reccommend it to anyone who likes a good romantic drama.

but on the nirvana subject i voted letting go of clinging hate and ignorance. not for any big reason but because i feel like we could all use some of that!