• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to be Human?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
A human could be defined scientifically, through use of taxonomy and genetics and such.

A human could also be defined artistically, through creative expression of the Human Experience.

Being human is really both. It is the experience of being a living creature with our special genetic, physiological, and psychological constructs. We are emotional and rational beings, making us both logical and illogical. We are boundless with our imagination!

Hope this was what you were looking for! :)

FatMan

Scientifically speaking, it means to be a member of the homo sapien genus.

Metaphorically speaking, it means to err.

Dramatically speaking, it means you are not an animal, YOU ARE A HUMAN BEING!!!!

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
FatMan said:
Dramatically speaking, it means you are not an animal, YOU ARE A HUMAN BEING!!!!
"I am not a number!" Yeah!

But what separates human from animal? Must we fall back on science and genus to differentiate that?

FatMan

Willamena said:
"I am not a number!" Yeah!

But what separates human from animal?

A human is an animal, but it lacks the dramatic appeal if the Elephant Man exclaimed - - "I am not a Persian Rug, I am a HUMAN BEING!!!"

It tested poorly with viewers, so it was pulled and the writers hoped nobody would nitpick enough on the animal/human being line.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
In another post, I found the opportunity to proclaim:
'Self' is the subject at the centre of perception. The Image of Self is the knowledge of our faculties that we clothe ourselves in by virtue of being in relation to the world. If there is no self, then there is no perception. It is perception that sets up a subject, and perspective that creates the divide between subject and object.

'Self' is what it is to be.
'Image of Self' is what it is to be human.

The idea is that what makes us human are the bits of knowledge that we gather about what we are capable of, and how we use that. What do you think of this idea?

Random

Willamena said:
The idea is that what makes us human are the bits of knowledge that we gather about what we are capable of, and how we use that. What do you think of this idea?

Hasn't anyone ever told you that we are capable of much more than we know?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Godlike said:
Hasn't anyone ever told you that we are capable of much more than we know?
But how do you know that you are?

Just kidding. Of course we cannot know all we are capable of. I take it that you also include the unknowable in 'what it is to be human'?

Random

Willamena said:
But how do you know that you are? Just kidding. Of course we cannot know all we are capable of. I take it that you also include the unknowable in 'what it is to be human'?

NO: I believe one day nothing will be hidden from us. All things will be of the realm of the Known: yay, even God. There IS an end to secrets, of any and all kinds. Follow your Bliss.

Mavrikmind

As humans like someone else said, our imagination is boundless. that is what makes us unique. We as animals have transcended above just thinking about food, shelter, and procreation. With our imagination, nothing is imposible, nothing is unachievable. To be Human is to forever push the limits of thought and imagination. And to forever ask this very question. I think this question has as many answeres as there are humans on the face of this planet.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Hema said:
To me when we realize the full power of God within us, that is enlightenment.

To me, when we realize that God doesn't exist, and that the power we actualize within ourselves was ours all along, that is an enlightenment.

eudaimonia,

Mark

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
To answer the OP, if asking what it means to be human is the same thing as asking: "What should I do with my life?" then I will provide my answer.

The meaning of life is to flourish, i.e. to achieve eudaimonia.

We flourish in society as unique individuals. The precise list of ingredients (values) and their proportions (priorities) in the recipe of one's flourishing will depend on many individual factors, such as one's own traits and circumstances.

However, there are a few major themes that emerge due to our shared humanity.
  • We ought to examine what it means to be human -- precisely what was asked in the OP.
  • We should develop our vital powers, such as rationality, creative talents, moral character, etc. In a word, to self-actualize.
  • We ought to cultivate self-esteem and a positive sense of life.
  • We should value our various relationships with other human beings, e.g. family, friendship, and community. We should nourish a benevolent regard for others.
I see these as a spiritual and philosophical path.

eudaimonia,

Mark