• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to be an Atheist ( not a mocking thread)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Theist =there is a god or gods, [broadest definitions of godlike beings

Agnostic =don't know

Atheist=there are no gods [broadest definition godlike beings so forth

Only definitions that work.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
According to the American Atheists website they state this

Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.
Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.
What is Atheism? | American Atheists

But in many discussions in this forum with many good Atheists i come across many ways to describe what atheism is.

Could i get some more info from Atheists in this forum? What is Atheism to you?

I figure I answer since thread is still on going.

I'm pretty simple, and maybe sometimes too technical. Theism is belief in gods. A- theism is (as per looked up) without belief in gods. A-prefix meaning without. It's not a rejection; there's nothing to reject. It's not denial; there is nothing to be denied. It's not dislike; there is nothing to dislike. It's literally saying example "I am moral" vs "I am amoral." I am moral. I am without morals. The religious nature of the question is irrelevant to the definition and grammatical nature of the word.

I didn't know atheist had other definitions until I came online. It just made me laugh.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Agnostic =don't know

Not so, and this is a skewed view of atheism.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Agnostic =don't know

Your definition of atheist doesn't work at all.

Your definition of theist is fine, but:

An agnostic believes that it's impossible to know whether a god or gods exist.

An atheist is anyone who isn't a theist.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Great, explain why.
"There are no gods" is a variety of atheism -- and far from universal.
A definition consists of an essential feature common to all members of a class. "No gods" does not include all atheists.

The essential feature of atheism is lack of belief, not non belief. This is the only feature common to all members of the class, and it's therefore definitive.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
"There are no gods" is a variety of atheism -- and far from universal.
A definition consists of an essential feature common to all members of a class. "No gods" does not include all atheists.

The essential feature of atheism is lack of belief, not non belief. This is the only feature common to all members of the class, and it's therefore definitive.
You are saying the same thing, in a more vague manner.

So, you are vague, here "lack of belief", huh?

No, you mean, "there are no gods", otherwise we're asking, what does belief mean etc.

It isn't definitive at all, and '>i dont know', isn't the same as 'there isn't'.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are saying the same thing, in a more vague manner.

So, you are vague, here "lack of belief", huh?

No, you mean, "there are no gods", otherwise we're asking, what does belief mean etc.

It isn't definitive at all, and '>i dont know', isn't the same as 'there isn't'.
"Lack of belief" = Conclusion provisional, pending further evidence. "No belief" = conclusion final, case closed.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
@Desert Snake - here's a test I use when I hear someone suggest a definition for "atheist:"

- I know that atheists exist, so if their definition implies that a person would have to do something impossible to become an atheist, I know their definition is wrong.

- I know that people who believe in a god or gods aren't atheists, so if their definition implies that someone who believes in a god could be an atheist, I know their definition is wrong.

Your definition fails this test.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
"Lack of belief" = Conclusion provisional, pending further evidence. "No belief" = conclusion final, case closed.
You'll note that there are essentially three beliefs, here.

• belief there is a god or gods, [broadest definition

• 'i don't know',

• 'there are no gods',

▪▪▪
every belief, is one of these. In order to have non vague way of describing these, you don't put two beliefs, in the same category.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Then you have a meaningless definition, why even mention it.

Better to just say 'i don't know', if that is your definition, which would cover all atheism.
That would not cover strong atheism, which maintains that it does know.

As for "I don't know," I agree -- but there's more to it. Atheists maintain "I don't know," but they also say "I don't currently believe." The "I don't know" is provisional.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You'll note that there are essentially three beliefs, here.

• belief there is a god or gods, [broadest definition

• 'i don't know',

• 'there are no gods',

▪▪▪
every belief, is one of these. In order to have non vague way of describing these, you don't put two beliefs, in the same category.
There are more than three varieties:
17 Kinds of Atheism
Different Types of Atheism - dummies
https://thehumanist.com/magazine/january-february-2019/arts_entertainment/seven-types-of-atheism

PureX

Veteran Member
So an 'objective truth', that you are unaware of, isn't truth?
By definition no one is "aware of" an objective truth. Awareness is an individual, and thereby subjective phenomenon. From a human perspective, there is not "objective truth". There is only the unverifiable idea of an objective truth.