• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it Mean to be a "Person"?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I see a person as an individual. My test for individuality stems from the the etymology of individual: not divisible. A corporation would not qualify as an individual person in that it can be divided up still function. A non-viable fetus would not qualify as a person as it cannot be separated from its host/mother and still function, but the host/mother could be separated from the fetus and still function, so the host/mother qualifies as a person.

PureX

Veteran Member
I see a person as an individual. My test for individuality stems from the the etymology of individual: not divisible. A corporation would not qualify as an individual person in that it can be divided up still function. A non-viable fetus would not qualify as a person as it cannot be separated from its host/mother and still function, but the host/mother could be separated from the fetus and still function, so the host/mother qualifies as a person.
So what you are referring to might be termed 'existential autonomy'. And I agree. I think this would be the crucial factor in defining personhood. However, I think cognitive awareness of this autonomous 'self' would also be a crucial factor. Perhaps the most crucial factor.