• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think the Good News of Jesus Christ is?

jah59

Jesus said to his disciples in Matt. 10:7 "go, preach this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven is near." You may think this is the Good News of Jesus Christ--the Gospel, but is this the same as the Good News that saves?

I firmly believe that when God wants to emphasize a matter in his written word such as in John 1:3, Colossians 1:15-17, and 1 John 4:8, He so inspires it that it is difficult, if not impossible to mistranslate.
Learn about the Bible by mail or online-for free!

jah59

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I find no good news in Jesus Christ. Having been a Christian I once tried gaining the courage to commit suicide and religion and Christian behavior was partly to blame.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I find no good news in Jesus Christ. Having been a Christian I once tried gaining the courage to commit suicide and religion and Christian behavior was partly to blame.

Whoa! Whatever or whoever made you feel that way was not of Christ! I'm sorry you went through that.

jah59

I'm sorry you feel that way. That does not sound like the Jesus Christ I know or find in the Bible.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Whoa! Whatever or whoever made you feel that way was not of Christ! I'm sorry you went through that.

It was my mother, but she is utterly worthless. Only person I know who wished me to fail in life then lies about it if brought up in front of others.

I find her actions very Christian though as it is the only way to support Christian beliefs. My lack of proper parenting is not the issue though.

I just do not find anything positive about the message of Jesus. It is very bipolar

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It was my mother, but she is utterly worthless. Only person I know who wished me to fail in life then lies about it if brought up in front of others.

I find her actions very Christian though as it is the only way to support Christian beliefs. My lack of proper parenting is not the issue though.

I just do not find anything positive about the message of Jesus. It is very bipolar

No, what your mother did was not Christian at all. You are allowing your mother's abuse to taint your view of Christianity, which is understandable but it is not a clear view. I hope you can eventually separate the two in order to see Christ's true message.

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Jesus said to his disciples in Matt. 10:7 "go, preach this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven is near." You may think this is the Good News of Jesus Christ--the Gospel, but is this the same as the Good News that saves?

I firmly believe that when God wants to emphasize a matter in his written word such as in John 1:3, Colossians 1:15-17, and 1 John 4:8, He so inspires it that it is difficult, if not impossible to mistranslate.
Learn about the Bible by mail or online-for free!

It was foretold that "this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations and then the the end will come" (Matt 24:14)

What in your opinion is "the good news of the kingdom"? And how should Christ's disciples go about preaching it, especially to the disadvantaged ones who may live in countries where there is no internet or money to purchase the technology to access it?

When Jesus said, “Into whatever city or village you enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until you leave. 12 When you enter the house, greet the household. 13 If the house is deserving, let the peace you wish it come upon it; but if it is not deserving, let the peace from you return upon you. 14 Wherever anyone does not receive you or listen to your words, on going out of that house or that city, shake the dust off your feet. 15 Truly I say to you, it will be more endurable for the land of Sod′om and Go·mor′rah on Judgment Day than for that city.

What does it mean to "search out" those who are deserving? What effort is to be put forward to accomplish all that Jesus commanded? (Matt 28:19, 20)

How do we "shake the dust off our feet"? :)

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
No, what your mother did was not Christian at all. You are allowing your mother's abuse to taint your view of Christianity, which is understandable but it is not a clear view. I hope you can eventually separate the two in order to see Christ's true message.

I am not letting her cloud my view. I get sick of it when people say this. This is a woman who did not know the earth revolved around the sun or that the ocean had a bottom. I cannot blame her for her actions the same way I cannot blame a child for being born or a psychotic person for being unstable.

I see the "true" message of Christ and I am not impressed. Siddhartha Gautama beat him to the punch years ago and the pagans even more. There is nothing new to be said about moral behavior but what Jesus does offer that differs is despair

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I am not letting her cloud my view. I get sick of it when people say this. This is a woman who did not know the earth revolved around the sun or that the ocean had a bottom. I cannot blame her for her actions the same way I cannot blame a child for being born or a psychotic person for being unstable.

I see the "true" message of Christ and I am not impressed. Siddhartha Gautama beat him to the punch years ago and the pagans even more. There is nothing new to be said about moral behavior but what Jesus does offer that differs is despair

Yes, you are letting her despicable behavior cloud your view. But I'll leave it there since I'm not your therapist. I sincerely hope that you find healing.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The Good News of Christ isn't just one thing...I could go on forever about it. His Good News is the coming of the Kingdom of God, of Salvation, Redemption, the freeing of the captives, reconciliation, the revelation of God's love for humanity, the defeat of death and hell, the divinization of humanity and oh so much more.

roger1440

I do stuff
“Religion and Christian behavior” was responsible for your attempted suicide. You were not responsible for your own actions. Please explain.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
“Religion and Christian behavior” was responsible for your attempted suicide. You were not responsible for your own actions. Please explain.

I never said I am not responsible for my own actions. I am merely referring to how theism in general and specifically Christianity ruins any meaning to life. As a Christian I had no reason to even be on this earth, I would die and go to heaven. Anything I did was solely for my own benefit, so that I could go to heaven.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
What I think this "Good News" is, is based on a worldview that I do not share.

Basically, that the world basically sucks but a new, better one is on the way.

Seeing as I don't see the world as inherently sucky, I don't really get the big deal even if I did believe the dualistic, monotheistic cosmology of classical Christianity.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
The idea that a child is a sinful and immoral creature not worthy of god's love is actually quite sickening to me. The mere idea that god itself is responsible for such a thing and creates his own legalistic framework for his own behavior makes it more sad.
Jesus is all loving yet concludes that people innocent of evil behavior should be condemned to a lake of fire to burn forever in eternity is as frightening as possible and not even logically consistent.

The good news that I hear is to love a bipolar metaphysical entity that desires mobster like love. I cannot even dare let a child be told this by a person. It is frighteningly harmful and nightmarish

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The idea that a child is a sinful and immoral creature not worthy of god's love is actually quite sickening to me. The mere idea that god itself is responsible for such a thing and creates his own legalistic framework for his own behavior makes it more sad.
Jesus is all loving yet concludes that people innocent of evil behavior should be condemned to a lake of fire to burn forever in eternity is as frightening as possible and not even logically consistent.

The good news that I hear is to love a bipolar metaphysical entity that desires mobster like love. I cannot even dare let a child be told this by a person. It is frighteningly harmful and nightmarish

Ever hear of the Apocalypse of Peter?

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
I never said I am not responsible for my own actions. I am merely referring to how theism in general and specifically Christianity ruins any meaning to life. As a Christian I had no reason to even be on this earth, I would die and go to heaven. Anything I did was solely for my own benefit, so that I could go to heaven.

I'm afraid that your definition of Christianity is tainted by Christendom. Please don't confuse the two. Your sole reason for being on this earth has nothing to do with going to heaven. In fact when God first placed mankind on earth, no one was going to heaven and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ was not even in the equation.

Man's permanent home was meant to be in paradise on earth, with no sickness, ageing, suffering or death. When the kingdom has accomplished all that it was sent to do, then everything will go back to the way it was.

If man had never disobeyed the only command to carry the death penalty, Adam and his wife would still be alive today with all their offspring. No savior would have been necessary and no kingdom would have been needed to reconcile fallen humanity back with their Creator. What we lost in Genesis is given back to us in Revelation. (Rev 21:1-5)

Last edited: