• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of the practice of magic and psychic stuff in religion?

Frank Goad

What do you think of the practice of magic and psychic stuff in religion?:)I like it in my religion.I like studying it in the bible.It's fascinating.

But what about everyone else?:)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it gives a good 'hands on' experience for folks that need to experience life physically; magical working and other means can give some people a connection that simple reading or meditation doesn't seem to do for them.

Much like the way all students learn differently, I think it is important to acknowledge that all people(who desire to) experience the divine differently, in my opinion.

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you think of the practice of magic and psychic stuff in religion?:)I like it in my religion.I like studying it in the bible.It's fascinating.

But what about everyone else?
It is mostly irrelevant I think. Who ever accomplished anything through magic or psychic effort? Where is the spiritual fruit, the improvement of the soul, the hungry child fed or the lonely person invited? It sounds about as useful as a fidget spinner.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
It's no better than your average comic book.

Fantasy is fun until it's made to be a substitute for actual reality.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It is mostly irrelevant I think. Who ever accomplished anything through magic or psychic effort? Where is the spiritual fruit, the improvement of the soul, the hungry child fed or the lonely person invited? It sounds about as useful as a fidget spinner.

I don't want to share in detail, but I've accomplished stuff through magic.

And fidget spinners can be useful to a person who stims. This might not be a tool most of us need, but it can be a constructive and harmless way to get energy out as for those who need it. (My oldest son benefited from his.)

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't want to share in detail, but I've accomplished stuff through magic.

And fidget spinners can be useful to a person who stims. This might not be a tool most of us need, but it can be a constructive and harmless way to get energy out as for those who need it. (My oldest son benefited from his.)
That is a good reply, and also I am only talking about the kind of magic forbidden the biblical books. Some people practice something which is not against Jewish practice, such as the magic thought to be Solomon's magic or the ability to pull rabbits from hats. On this magic I have no opinion, except that it sounds like some kind of psychological exercise or like a hat trick.

If you don't know what I am talking about you can see a youtube video about solomon's magic which puts it forward as a kind of hypnotic technique that theorizes that the human psyche is made up of several major personalities. I haven't tried any of it, but I think its interesting to know that other people are.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That is a good reply, and also I am only talking about the kind of magic forbidden the biblical books. Some people practice something which is not against Jewish practice, such as the magic thought to be Solomon's magic or the ability to pull rabbits from hats. On this magic I have no opinion, except that it sounds like some kind of psychological exercise or like a hat trick.

If you don't know what I am talking about you can see a youtube video about solomon's magic which puts it forward as a kind of hypnotic technique that theorizes that the human psyche is made up of several major personalities. I haven't tried any of it, but I think its interesting to know that other people are.

I'd like the ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Rabbits are fun.

Brickjectivity

Brickish Brat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like the ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Rabbits are fun.
And I'd like to learn to do card flourishes, even though my hands are clumsy. Actually I should start practicing again, because I enjoy it. But when I start practicing out of enjoyment I start to imagine myself doing it professionally, and that spoils the fun because it moves card flourishes into the list of things that I ought to do rather than things which I do without any good reason.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So we're talking about play magic, then? Should this discussion be in the games section?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

But what about everyone else?:)
Magic doesn't work. The only real magic we have is that of the illusionists. Saying an incantation or doing spell is simply not going to effect objective reality, except for the power of suggestion. Thus, any religion that includes magic is just a wrong road to go down. Also, you get a lot of con artists using what appears to be magic, in order to fleece people.

Magic doesn't work. The only real magic we have is that of the illusionists. Saying an incantation or doing spell is simply not going to effect objective reality, except for the power of suggestion. Thus, any religion that includes magic is just a wrong road to go down. Also, you get a lot of con artists using what appears to be magic, in order to fleece people.

Well, the Abrahamic religions also have their share of con artists that are out to manipulate people - and believing in god isn't really any more rational than the beliefs in the supernatural that you're dismissing as fanciful.

On a different note, the act of prayer could be interpreted as practicing a form of magic, in a way. The difference is generally that 'magic' is more about focusing the individual will to bring about the desired outcome rather than asking god to do it.