• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think evil is?

dfnj

I told the guy i couldn't read it and why. Do you consider that a weapon

Yes. I don't believe you are being innocent and sincere. I think your comment was disrespectful and punkish. If you were honest and sincere you would have just ignored the post and not responded at all. But instead, you are being a Shadow magician as outlined in the original post. You are not here to help educate or help people with essential information they may need. Instead, like many of your posts, you are being smug and just posting a response to prove you are intellectually superior, at least in your own mind, to the people who are posting here who do not share your opinions or philosophy of life.

But it's okay. I forgive you. My hope is someday you will figure it all out and achieve a new level of humility.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes. I don't believe you are being innocent and sincere. I think your comment was disrespectful and punkish. If you were honest and sincere you would have just ignored the post and not responded at all. But instead, you are being a Shadow magician as outlined in the original post. You are not here to help educate or help people with essential information they may need. Instead, like many of your posts, you are being smug and just posting a response to prove you are intellectually superior, at least in your own mind, to the people who are posting here who do not share your opinions or philosophy of life.

But it's okay. I forgive you. My hope is someday you will figure it all out and achieve a new level of humility.

Oh jolly good, we have another. Sheesh

Yes i could have ignored his request but i not ignorant, sorry if that upsets you

And you forgive me for being me? Who is the self serving smug one here? I do not need your forgiveness.

74x12

Here are my thoughts. I hope you will share yours:

I believe “evil” is more than a mere adjective, more than a word we use to describe someone who is cruel, selfish, wicked, or depraved…

I believe it is an objective tendency within this world that acts upon individual humans - I see it as a sociological force

I believe there is an intelligent being behind this force who is more than simply a personification of evil – he directs a very powerful challenge against the rule of God’s Kingdom and has many millions under his spell. You know his name and I know his name, there is no need to give power to him by mentioning it (it begins with "S"!)

I believe this intelligent force functions as an adversary to God, who is good

I believe that in the future evil will stop being a force in this world (and the world that will replace this one) as it will be no longer be necessary during such future dispensations. Yes, there will be good and not-so-good people but evil will have ceased being an objective tendency.

Question: what does it mean to call another person “evil”? Is it an innate internal moral condition or are there environmental, external factors at work that make good people do evil things? Or a bit of both? - what do you think evil is???
Evil is the work of satan. A lie. Because God didn't make it nor is upheld by the Word of God that holds all things together.

So it won't last. It's unsustainable and ready to burn because whatever isn't upheld by the Word will consume away into smoke and be gone. So it's unwise to trust in what may not last. Because the Word of God orders all things and divides between reality and possibility. So evil is turning back to chaotic form. Uncreating what God has set in order the first time. Because God made all things in the Light of His revealed Word. These were the 6 days of creation. Not by the light of the sun; but the Light of His Word "Let there be Light" (Genesis 1:3)

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
'Evil' is the Old English word yfel meaning 'harm' or (the noun) 'bad'.

We humans think something is bad/evil if it's detrimental to us, to our tribe, or to purposes and causes we support. In the same way, 'good' is what supports or advances us, our tribe, our causes.

'Evil' equally means something we find morally offensive. We get our basic moral tendencies from our evolution as gregarious primates ─ child nurture and protection, dislike of the one who harms, like of fairness and reciprocity, respect for authority, loyalty to the group, and a sense of self-worth/virtue through self-denial. We've also evolved to have a conscience (the feeling that some of our moral statements are of universal application, not just personal to us, though everyone has their own list); and we have empathy, probably from mirror neurons.

We get the rest of our morals from our upbringing, culture, education and experience ─ how to dress, encounter people in authority, or of the opposite sex, or strangers; how to behave at table, or at namings, coming-of-age, weddings and funerals; and so on.

Against that background, 'evil' means 'offensive', perhaps with a sense of 'more than usually offensive'.
I believe “evil” [...] is an objective tendency within this world that acts upon individual humans - I see it as a sociological force.
Genetics can play a part in one's attitude to society, but so can circumstances. For example, I see poverty as a sociological force that can generate anti-social, illegal and violent attitudes and acts.

Thus I think of 'evil' or 'bad' as a product or result, not as an independent phenomenon ─ not as an inevitable devil flying around looking for a shoulder to perch on or a wheel to make fall off and so on.
I believe there is an intelligent being behind this force who is more than simply a personification of evil – he directs a very powerful challenge against the rule of God’s Kingdom and has many millions under his spell. You know his name and I know his name, there is no need to give power to him by mentioning it (it begins with "S"!)
After a lot of thought and a good many years, I can see how that might work as a metaphor, but I can't see it as an accurate statement about reality.
Question: what does it mean to call another person “evil”?
I think there'll be a range of answers to that. I tend to associate such anaccusation as implying underhand methods, plotting, and so on, for selfish ends. But of course spies have always been regarded as evil by those they spy on, and heroes by those they spy for. (Traitors are often a more complex topic.)

dfnj

Here's another long post for the people with dyslexia.

Not my favorite video.

There's just something odd and strange about Christian thinking. Many parts of the philosophy conveyed in the video I felt were off or wrong.

The video never answers the question what was God's purpose creating us having free-will as opposed to not having free-will. Plus, none of us really has free-will anyway since none of us has omnipotent powers. If you can only choose what life gives you it's not always a real choice. Sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils. Only by having the power of omnipotence can you truly have free-will. With omnipotent powers you get to decide the list you get to choose from.

Another thing about the video is the claim about the suffering of Jesus. Jesus did not die. You can't kill God. I'm confused by what really happened. If Jesus were a man then his suffering was real and his death was real. But the resurrection means Jesus was more than just a man. It's a really strange pretend argument. The way I see it no harm no foul.

The video was making the claim several times about how we have to be "sanctified" and return to God. And by not returning to God we are pretending to be gods. And the video claimed the only way to end evil is by returning to God. These are all a very odd ideas. First, returning to God doesn't seem enough to me to address all the evil in the World. It seems to me people have to develop a more mature character that is more selfless than selfish. Someone who chooses to return to God is just as selfish as before. Just returning to God does nothing. Only when people develop a mature enough character as not to be selfish is something changed. Then people have to also have enough personal power to have capacity to help or serve others. I think the answer is not to serve God as our focus. I think the answer to the World's problems comes from when we have the capacity to serve each other or those who are suffering and in need. I just don't think the answer to the problem of evil in the World is going to come from not doing anything about it and just thinking a certain way.

Another thing I did not like about the video is it has an almost defeatist attitude with evil as if evil were all that exists. Yes, we are all inherently evil. But most people not put under extreme stresses will behave morally good. Most people understand the golden rule and have basic sense of right an wrong. It's not like you see a fist fight or stabbing at the food court in the mall every time you go It was almost as if the film was saying the only way Christianity can really flourish is if World is full of suffering and evil, and therefore, it's better for God to keep everyone suffering and evil plentiful in the World. It seems to me life is more than just suffering and sin. It seems to me Christianity is missing half of the equation. If we focus just on evil all we will ever be and experience is evil.

I think we need to focus on our experiences of greatness because those experiences bring us closer to God. How many times have you've heard someone say an athlete is "god" by their performance. People love sports and watching great performance. I think this is because experiencing greatness allows to experience a sliver of the absolute perfection that is God. We should be striving for greatness as opposed to wallowing in sin and evil. Christians wallow in evil and sin. My experience has been people who are most obsessed with evil and sin turn out be the most evil and sinful people I know.

I don't think I'm a god at all. I have way too many imperfections. But I see real divine value in striving to experience God's perfection. I feel drawn to God this way. My best days are when I am doing great things in the service of others because when I do great things I feel closer to God. For me it's not about redemption. For me it's about being in service of people I care about. Or experiencing greatness and beauty in nature makes me feel closer to God. It has nothing to do with suffering, sin, and evil. I find the focus of Christianity to be too negative and dark. Maybe the problem of evil IS Christianity! I would rather just be drawn to God.

Human nature and the quality of someone's character seems to me to be more of a psychological problem and not a religious one. For me the way this video treated the problem of evil is on the same playing field as ritually slitting a goat's throat will get you in God's favor. There's a real science around developing good human character. You don't have to slit a goat's throat. Just watch a few episodes of the Dr.Phil show.

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The word "EVIL"...…..is the inverse of the word ….."LIVE".

In english.

It denotes a relationship to and of , whatever the word is applied to.
The essence of the word "evil" , since it is an "inversion" of "LIVE"...….is to "subvert"

This "argument" only "works" in english.
In every other language (including the language(s) in which the bible was written and communiated), it fails.

This world and all that is called "life" here...….is "evil", because this life here is NOT True Life.
It is merely a "copy", a cheap imitation of the True.

Bold claim in need of evidence.

And the "God" who made all of this is the same......a "copy", a cheap imitation of the
True God and Father, (who alone is "GOOD").
This world is the best He could do with what He had to work with ( physical matter ).

More bold claims in need of evidence.

NOW, you can understand what is really being said in Genesis ,
concerning the "tree of knowledge of good and evil "

" Then the Lord (God) said, "Look the human beings have become like us, knowing GOOD and EVIL "

Huh?
Doesn't follow - not even if I grant the bare assertions above.

WhyIsThatSo

In english.

This "argument" only "works" in english.
In every other language (including the language(s) in which the bible was written and communiated), it fails.

Bold claim in need of evidence.

More bold claims in need of evidence.

Huh?
Doesn't follow - not even if I grant the bare assertions above.

Would it even help, if I just said,
you've been LIED to !!

Oh, and the English language is "special".

ChristineM

Premium Member
you've been LIED to !!

Aramaic for live D'aAKHiY

Aramaic for evil B'B,iYSHoA

So how does that work

Note this is pronunciation, an Aramaic font set is not common on computing devices.

WhyIsThatSo

So how does that work

Note this is pronunciation, an Aramaic font set is not common on computing devices.[/QUOTE

Before the English language, this understanding was not "available",
just like many other truths that have been hidden since the foundation of the "world" ( cosmos, this universe, physical creation ).

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
you've been LIED to !!

Not unless you actually support that claim.
Otherwise, it is yet another bare assertion on an already far to big pile of unsupported bare assertions.

As I said before: piling on more bare assertions, is not a valid alternative to actually providing evidence in support of those assertions.

Not it's not.
It's, in fact, a fairly recently developed language of the last couple centuries.

WhyIsThatSo

So how does that work

Note this is pronunciation, an Aramaic font set is not common on computing devices.
Not unless you actually support that claim.
Otherwise, it is yet another bare assertion on an already far to big pile of unsupported bare assertions.

As I said before: piling on more bare assertions, is not a valid alternative to actually providing evidence in support of those assertions.

Not it's not.
It's, in fact, a fairly recently developed language of the last couple centuries.

Indeed it is, and for a reason too.
If you could INNERSTAND what "words" are .

ChristineM

Premium Member

The English language??? Old English, middle English, Victorian English, modern English?

There are 2 reasons English is now the international language. First conquest and empire spread the language across the world,but that worked both ways, much of the English language is rooted in Chinese, Indian etc. This does not include the 40,000+ words of French, not sure how many from Germany or Roman Italy.

BTW the word god was derived from german german in the 6th century.

The 2nd reason is that many americans are of the opinion they only want to learn one language, english. This is the main reason (deliberate ignorance) it has become the international language of diplomacy and travel.

Special???

WhyIsThatSo

And that reason is, ironically, due to evolutionary principles. The same reason that latin morphed into italian, spanish, french and portugese.

No, actually it goes back to who the "English" really ARE TODAY ("Israel")
but one has to accept this truth before one can "pile on another".