• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think evil is?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Evil is the superlative of immoral. And like morality it should only be applied to actions by sentient, sapient beings (not the beings themselves).

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Here are my thoughts. I hope you will share yours:

I believe “evil” is more than a mere adjective, more than a word we use to describe someone who is cruel, selfish, wicked, or depraved…

I believe it is an objective tendency within this world that acts upon individual humans - I see it as a sociological force

I believe there is an intelligent being behind this force who is more than simply a personification of evil – he directs a very powerful challenge against the rule of God’s Kingdom and has many millions under his spell. You know his name and I know his name, there is no need to give power to him by mentioning it (it begins with "S"!)

I believe this intelligent force functions as an adversary to God, who is good

I believe that in the future evil will stop being a force in this world (and the world that will replace this one) as it will be no longer be necessary during such future dispensations. Yes, there will be good and not-so-good people but evil will have ceased being an objective tendency.

Question: what does it mean to call another person “evil”? Is it an innate internal moral condition or are there environmental, external factors at work that make good people do evil things? Or a bit of both? - what do you think evil is???

do you think children cancer is caused by S?

ciao

- viole

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

I believe “evil” is more than a mere adjective, more than a word we use to describe someone who is cruel, selfish, wicked, or depraved…

I believe it is an objective tendency within this world that acts upon individual humans - I see it as a sociological force

I believe there is an intelligent being behind this force who is more than simply a personification of evil – he directs a very powerful challenge against the rule of God’s Kingdom and has many millions under his spell. You know his name and I know his name, there is no need to give power to him by mentioning it (it begins with "S"!)

I believe that in the future evil will stop being a force in this world (and the world that will replace this one) as it will be no longer be necessary during such future dispensations. Yes, there will be good and not-so-good people but evil will have ceased being an objective tendency.

Question: what does it mean to call another person “evil”? Is it an innate internal moral condition or are there environmental, external factors at work that make good people do evil things? Or a bit of both? - what do you think evil is???
I believe evil is slacking off on having greater performance.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

The unconscious mind is evil, not like intentionally evil. It is just a product of evolution but it drive us to act in evil ways.

Desire, greed, fear, hate, these emotions are produced by the unconscious mind and motivate folks to act immorally. Problem is we are so used to being led around by the unconscious mind, we don't recognize it for what it is. We get angry, afraid, feel lust or greed and these emotions drive us to act.

The unconscious mind is not really the enemy, It is only acting according to its nature. Still it is the source of what drives man to act immorally.

As long as we are not consciously aware of the nature of the unconscious mind it has the ability to control our actions. It is us, part of who we are but it is an internal struggle for the conscious self to gain control over the nature of the unconscious mind.

The unconscious mind is our best friend, our worst enemy and the source of man's evil. Evil is not an external battle, it is a battle within.

WhyIsThatSo

The word "EVIL"...…..is the inverse of the word ….."LIVE".

It denotes a relationship to and of , whatever the word is applied to.
The essence of the word "evil" , since it is an "inversion" of "LIVE"...….is to "subvert"

"subversion"
means to undermine the power and authority of something.
And that "something" in this case..….is "LIFE"

This world and all that is called "life" here...….is "evil", because this life here is NOT True Life.
It is merely a "copy", a cheap imitation of the True.

And the "God" who made all of this is the same......a "copy", a cheap imitation of the
True God and Father, (who alone is "GOOD").
This world is the best He could do with what He had to work with ( physical matter ).

NOW, you can understand what is really being said in Genesis ,
concerning the "tree of knowledge of good and evil "

" Then the Lord (God) said, "Look the human beings have become like us, knowing GOOD and EVIL "

But there is also "good" in this world, as it is a mixture here.
But only because of the "good" (spirits) that were trapped here long ago.

You can recognize "evil' by it's tell tell signs, the most prevalent is "DIVISION"
anything that "divides itself" ( which is all of "biological life" ), or promotes division and SEPERATION.

This is WHY this world is the way it is, with governments "dividing and conquering" the masses.
Which means there really is no division among humanity, only what is orchestrated by higher powers
to keep you under control, so you don't THINK for yourself.

And find out who you really are.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member

The absence of good: a privation or deficit in one's capacity to feel empathy for others and to care about how our words, actions or harmful beliefs may affect them (i.e. by inflicting pain or suffering).

I don't believe "evil" exists in the same way that, say, the laws of physics exist. Its the 'lack' of loving-kindness for other living creatures, as opposed to a 'thing' in itself (like the perception of darkness actually being the 'lack' of light).

What does it mean to call another person “evil”?

It would suggest they've done things that wider society deems anti-social, inhumane and callous - like a serial killer, genocidal dictator or terrorist.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

A force of nature.

A person's brain/mind can storm and erupt as much as any weather system.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

The word 'evil' is used to describe actions or character or a general tendency.

Evil:
adj. -- profoundly immoral and wicked.
noun -- profound immorality and wickedness, especially when regarded as a supernatural force.
(Oxford)

Neither of these is a person/being of course. Rather 'evil' is wrongful/harmful action generally.

As I think of it: Evil is to intentionally and knowingly (seeing the consequences correctly ahead of time) harm another person without cause except for one's own seeming gain at their expense.

Or in a more practical way:

Evil is to intentionally break the rule of good action/living: "In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you"

WhyIsThatSo

The absence of good: a privation or deficit in one's capacity to feel empathy for others and to care about how our words, actions or harmful beliefs may affect them (i.e. by inflicting pain or suffering).

I don't believe "evil" exists in the same way that, say, the laws of physics exist. Its the 'lack' of loving-kindness for other living creatures, as opposed to a 'thing' in itself (like the perception of darkness actually being the 'lack' of light).

It would suggest they've done things that wider society deems anti-social, inhumane and callous - like a serial killer, genocidal dictator or terrorist.

"evil", and the "laws of physics"......are the same thing.

WhyIsThatSo

I'm afraid I can only answer that from a Christian perspective :)

I'd say no, animals can't be evil, because like Adam and Eve (before they ate the fruit of knowledge) animals are in a state of nature - as opposed to a state of civilisation - they have no concept of good or evil so can neither be good or evil themselves.

They just survive and reproduce in the natural word. Once Adam and Eve acquired knowledge of good and evil they were no longer in a state of nature like the animals and so God expelled them from his own personal zoo as they had become human and ceased being beasts! They had lost their animal innocence...

Humanity thus entered a new dispensation

ALL "flesh" is "evil"...….when you know what the word means.
If it were not so, then why is it (flesh) slowly but surely "killing" you ?

dfnj

i can't read big chunks of text, dyslexia.

Do you like platitudes? I like platitudes. Did you know a platitude is only respected as much as the person making it?

People only respect you as much as you respect them. People in life will treat you exactly the way you treat them.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Do you like platitudes? I like platitudes. Did you know a platitude is only respected as much as the person making it?

People only respect you as much as you respect them. People in life will treat you exactly the way you treat them.

Are you saying that dyslexia should be treated with disrespect?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I do not believe there is any such thing as good or evil on an objective level. I'm a moral nihilist when it comes to the big picture of things. However, I believe such categories are useful in expressing subjective cultural or individual values.

PearlSeeker

Evil is defined as lack of good. First: What is good? It's God's plan/will. Or in other words: purpose and perfection.

You are speaking of moral evil (there are also other dimensions of evil). Evil in moral sense is called sin. Literal meaning is "missing the mark". It means missing the purpose which is growing to love and harmony divine, communion with God. Sin is spiritual death as it's turning away from living as a vessel for God's working.

dfnj

Interesting book
Thanks for sharing

It's a good one. I don't think people understand how far the science of psychology has progressed in the last 50 years. It turns out from a psychological perspective the majority of people are pretty much exactly the same. We seem to have all the same hard wiring. Many people are thought-clones of each other. Of course personal experiences and environment has a lot in shaping character, but for the most part human character is very well mapped out.

People who are deeply initiated into human psychology can play the population like a fiddle with extremely sophisticated techniques of masterful manipulations:

It's really kind of scary how easy people can be manipulated by Shadow magicians. The only way to defend yourself from being manipulated is by being aware of the manipulations!

dfnj

do you think children cancer is caused by S?

Science has shown disease is not caused by silly superstitions.

Nature is conscious of what it is doing. Nature, natural processes, the laws of physics, are neither good nor evil. Nature is indifferent as far as I can tell and based on my experiences.