• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you teach your children?

Draka

Wonder Woman
in regards to homosexuality/same sex marriage?

As we all should know, children are blank slates when young. They don't see differences in color or ethnicity. They see another child or person and that's it. Young children, if left to their own devices, are not going to be taken aback by two men or two women holding hands or even kissing. The concept of a friend of theirs having two mommies or two daddies isn't really a hard concept. They just tend to see families. The question then becomes, do you foster that innocent and equal view of the world, or do you impose your own sets of beliefs and stances on your children, perhaps encouraging yet another generation of prejudice and bigotry?

I maintain that it isn't really that hard to simply explain to children from a very young age that sometimes men and women fall in love and have a family and sometimes two men do and sometimes two women do. That it's all just different types of families and they all love each other. To teach your children otherwise only creates and fosters hate and intolerance.

So...do you foster love and acceptance in your children, or hate and prejudice? Think about it.

evane123

As we all should know, children are blank slates when young. They don't see differences in color or ethnicity. They see another child or person and that's it. Young children, if left to their own devices, are not going to be taken aback by two men or two women holding hands or even kissing. The concept of a friend of theirs having two mommies or two daddies isn't really a hard concept. They just tend to see families. The question then becomes, do you foster that innocent and equal view of the world, or do you impose your own sets of beliefs and stances on your children, perhaps encouraging yet another generation of prejudice and bigotry?

I maintain that it isn't really that hard to simply explain to children from a very young age that sometimes men and women fall in love and have a family and sometimes two men do and sometimes two women do. That it's all just different types of families and they all love each other. To teach your children otherwise only creates and fosters hate and intolerance.

So...do you foster love and acceptance in your children, or hate and prejudice? Think about it.
I think educating about the horribleness of societies hurting people because the society wants the parents to enjoy the favor that the society enjoys so the society can rape them would be appropriate.
I think some people might not want to teach there children about life. I think people are going to have to face those things and i think there parents should give them that information.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I think educating about the horribleness of societies hurting people because the society wants the parents to enjoy the favor that the society enjoys so the society can rape them would be appropriate.
I think some people might not want to teach there children about life. I think people are going to have to face those things and i think there parents should give them that information.

And I think that first sentence needs shot. Could you retry that? I didn't understand it at all.

As to the second part, I guess it would make more sense once I understand what you were saying in the first part. It could go either way so I still don't know your stance.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
It's a no-brainer in our house Draka.
We teach the kids that people are lucky who find love and that there is no difference between when a man loves a man or a woman loves a woman and when a woman l oves a man. We also (try to) teach them that two things are essential
1. Respect for others
2. Thinking for oneself
I'd hope that a tolerant and broad mind would flow naturally from that. If not there's always the 'silly corner' :D

lunakilo

About this particulat topic, I don't really teach my children anything.
One of their playmates has two mommies, they never asked questions about that and I never expressed an opinion about it to them.

They seem more concerned about parents splitting up. Many of their friends have parents who don't live together and that seems to be something thay worry about.
The same sex thing dosn't seem to be on their radar at all and I see no reason to change that.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

All our kids know how I feel about it. :D

My daughter, being the artist that she is, creates graphic novels (she currently has about 12 of them). Her latest features gay and lesbian couples who pretty much do the same thing as her other comic love stories.....fight to save the world, fall in love, argue over pancakes, etc. You know, normal stuff. ;)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I have raised five children.

I taught each of them not to judge others harshly. I taught them that individuals should have the right to live as they please and to be respected and tolerated, as long as their life choices do not infringe upon the rights of others. I taught them to stand up for those who are persecuted.

Over my children's lifetime at home, we had several sets of gay friends who were in long term relationships, and we were frequent visitors in each other's homes, along with the kids.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Next weekend, my wife and I, along with our children, will be attending the Colorado Springs Pride Fest with our best friend and her girlfriend,

:peace:

A

angellous_evangellous

Teaching kids to hate is always the best option.

They will fit right into our disenchanted misanthropic society that is eager to devour them.

Acim

Revelation all the time

Would you teach 'more than two' may fall in love to have a family? Or that sometimes there is only one parent? And that sometimes mommies and daddies are not the same age (but can be decades apart)? Different races? And so on and so forth. To not include all options would mean to foster hate and intolerance?

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Since she has several gay uncles and 2 gay cousins, it's not hard to show her that homosexuals and gay people are normal, loving, fun people.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Would you teach 'more than two' may fall in love to have a family? Or that sometimes there is only one parent? And that sometimes mommies and daddies are not the same age (but can be decades apart)? Different races? And so on and so forth. To not include all options would mean to foster hate and intolerance?

Of course. I just centered the OP on same sex marriage and parenting because it is most in the spotlight recently. But of course, my children know that families are just families, no matter who makes them up.

evane123

And I think that first sentence needs shot. Could you retry that? I didn't understand it at all.

As to the second part, I guess it would make more sense once I understand what you were saying in the first part. It could go either way so I still don't know your stance.
I think a different way to explain the first sentence is that people will hurt people so they can rape them.
I think one example is christianity that uses brainwashing to cause pain when people want to enjoy a different flavor of enjoyment. I think the idea of christianity is that people will please god including if pleasing god hurts them and others.

As a Hindu, I grew up in a very Hindu manner. My parents didn't shelter me from the world, but they didn't tell me about all these things. I think my parents left it to me to live my life and find the differences in society.

I think it's better for children to learn themselves. Parents teach everything to their children with a slight agenda (negative or not, there is a impartial teaching presented on the child). They can form their opinion on the subject matter with a clear mind.

Either way, young people get the truth quickly in a mixed community of people.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think many people miss the concept that children learn far more by example than by the words you speak at them.

Archer

Well I lead mine in the direction I want them to go. I do not like the homosexual lifestyle and my kids know this. They also know that just because I don't like it does not mean I hate it.

I prefer not to be around certain things just as everyone does. I just have my prefrences and they are not limited to a dislike of homosexuality. I prefer homosexuals to adulterous people because theirs is a lifestyle choice and does no harm to others. The adulterer hurts a lot of people. Alcoholics are people I won't tolerate, spouse and child abusers are at the bottom as well.

So "What do I teach my children?" I do not like or approve of the act but there are things in this world that are worth fighting about and a persons sexual preference is not one of them.

So I guess I teach them not to hang out and party and the like but be social and polite. We are all hear and we have to live together on this rock.

Last edited: