• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you miss about the old RF

Skwim

Veteran Member
There are a lot of new and even great features on the new RF here, My favorites are the Alert and delete post functions, but I still miss some of the old RF features.

1) The larger and more relevant smilies.

2) The religious affiliation of each member posted by their avatar.

3) The better delineation between each post and the "Post Reply" box.

4) The larger selection of fonts.

I realize this new upgrade may not be finished and there may be more tweaking to be done, so here's hoping these old ones will reappear.

How about you. Anything you miss?.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Quite frankly, I miss the different themes. I used to use the darker ones. This gray on white is hard on my poor eyes. I used to also use a different font when posting.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The lack of lag from ads and the fact there is a compulsory system set up to pay to remove them albeit it's a reasonable amount. Still. .

The old system never had that for members.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I miss being able to open the tab reliably. Often as not I get "cannot establish a secure connection".
And the new mobile version doesn't have as much context for a post as the old one. Knowing a poster's gender, how many posts they've made, member since.., where they are from, and stuff like that helps understand what they are saying.

Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
Quite frankly, I miss the different themes. I used to use the darker ones. This gray on white is hard on my poor eyes. I used to also use a different font when posting.
I really agree about the gray on white they've gone to. It's extremely annoying to have to squint to make things out. Anyone ever notice the blurb line under the listed title for each thread, OR the "Recent Post" and "New Post" on the upper gray bar? It's almost as if they can't afford the black ink.

5) The visible (black) letters.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have not noticed a lot of difference. I'd like the ability to delete conversations. I would really, deeply enjoy and appreciate the ability to search within a thread. It was something the old forum seemed to have as an option but that never worked right, so that hasn't truly changed. I miss Kilgore, Caladan and a few other drop-outs. Apart from that most things have not changed for me.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I like a lot of aspects of the new software, but one thing I miss:

* 90 percent of the time I am on the RF is from my smart phone. I have four browsers on my smart phone, in the past under the older software when holding the cellphone in portrait position I could see both the forum sections in the left pane and the titles of the latest posts next to each section in the right pane. I could see BOTH from the Homepage when holding the phone in portrait position which I prefer.
* However, now under the new software I must hold the smart phone in landscape position which I find clumsy and uncomfortable. If I hold the phone in portrait position now under the new software the latest postings by their titles on the right side are cut off, it doesn't matter if I zoom in or out nor which phone browser I use.

Anybody else notice this?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Thewhere Man, post: 4032109, member: 17642"]The lack of lag from ads and the fact there is a compulsory system set up to pay to remove them albeit it's a reasonable amount. Still. .

The old system never had that for members.[/QUOTE]
The old system was unsustainable. If nobody pays the freight it goes away. It is just the cold equations.

I also dislike the fact that the new system commonly messes up quotes by inserting things into what I quoted. On my phone it is too much bother to fix it, so I don't.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well there was a donation venue to help expenses in addition to sponsorship. I think it's good for advertisers if the forum is popular and gets a lot of hits but a compulsory system to me anyways, degrades the appeal as a member to remain if ads are allowed to become even more intrusive and obnoxious like popups and floaters designed to be hit by the user by getting in the way.

Im a member of other forums that were like the former rf that still are well maintained and smooth running, and others that started well and in a a number of years became a cesspool of advertising to to point it was worthless to continue with it.

Im not against the ads as it is now because even with the noticeable lag it's just a nuisance atm, but still can post without crashes or freezing up.

I'm just stating that I miss the ease and user friendliness of the old forum and liked the setup better. Especially the archives as well now that think about it.