• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you Know About Islam?

Kerr

Not much. It is a monotheistic religion that claims to be the true word of a deity called Allah. From what I learned in school it has some social aspects, it tries to be a foundation for a good society. I am not sure how much truth it is in that, but it was what my school books said. It has many followers, have a prophet called Mohammed and according to the Muslim members of this forums it accepts characters as Jesus as previous prophets. As every religion it is interpreted in many ways, have not seen many except for here but the ones I have seen I am not sure I like.

Kerr

THE QUESTION IS: WILL WE HAVE THE ABILITY TO REACH THE PEAK OF THIS MOUNTAIN.

OK, YOU HAVE MENTIONED MANY PATHS, BUT:

WHICH PATH CONIDERED THE MOST SUITABLE TO OUR ENERGY AND ABILITY?

AS EVERYONE KNOW, THE SHORTEST PATH(LINE) BETWEEN TWO POINTS IS "STRAIGHT PATH".

YOU HAVE TO SEEK THAT PATH TO QUARANTEE REACHING THE PEAK(WHICH HAS THE LEAST TEMPTATION DUE TO IT'S SHORTNESS).

have you read first SURAT in Qura'an (al-Fatihah:"The Opening")

1 In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

2 Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds,

3 The Beneficent, the Merciful.

4 Master of the Day of Judgment,

5 Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help.

6 Show us the straight path,

7 The path of those whom Thou hast favoured; Not the (path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray.
Actually the truth is that which line is straight depends on the person in question. It is just to look at the spectrum of the different kinds of people in different religions. Some people work with, say Christianity. Others works best with Hinduism. For some Buddhism is the best path. And for some a secular atheistic approach to the world is the best. It is easy to declare that your own beliefs are the best and most straight, unfortunatly the world doesn´t work that way.

Kenect2

No, I'm a realist, and I'm also aware that there was an anti-Japanese thing going around during World War II. How is anti-Islam any different?

Riverwolf, I'm not sure what you mean by your vague reference to "an anti-Japanese thing going around during World War II." If you are referring to the Japanese-American internment camps of that period, it seems that with respect to modern Muslims, we are doing just the opposite. We are foolishly assuming that everyone who is a Muslim is perfectly innocent with no intention of harming the US. Don't you think that it is at least possible, that some Muslims have sound Qur'anic arguments for attacking the US?

It might have been going overboard to lock up all the Japanese-Americans during WW2, but the fact of the matter is that the Japanese did attack the United States, killing thousands of Americans with out provocation, in an attempt to expand their empire over the Pacific. Should Americans have, at the very least, been cautious towards Japanese-Americans during the period? Wouldn't it have been a bit childish during WW2 to assert that the Japanese were harmless?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
THE QUESTION IS: WILL WE HAVE THE ABILITY TO REACH THE PEAK OF THIS MOUNTAIN.

OK, YOU HAVE MENTIONED MANY PATHS, BUT:

WHICH PATH CONIDERED THE MOST SUITABLE TO OUR ENERGY AND ABILITY?

AS EVERYONE KNOW, THE SHORTEST PATH(LINE) BETWEEN TWO POINTS IS "STRAIGHT PATH".

YOU HAVE TO SEEK THAT PATH TO QUARANTEE REACHING THE PEAK(WHICH HAS THE LEAST TEMPTATION DUE TO IT'S SHORTNESS).

have you read first SURAT in Qura'an (al-Fatihah:"The Opening")

1 In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

2 Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds,

3 The Beneficent, the Merciful.

4 Master of the Day of Judgment,

5 Thee (alone) we worship; Thee (alone) we ask for help.

6 Show us the straight path,

7 The path of those whom Thou hast favoured; Not the (path) of those who earn Thine anger nor of those who go astray.

The path is different for each person, because each person's nature is different.

For many, the path of Islam, which is a path of devotion with the reward of heavenly pleasures, is the best. I, certainly, would never try to turn other people away from that path. To do so would be a grave sin against God.

However, I'm not interested in heavenly pleasures, therefore Islam is not a path that interests me. Since devotion is something I have trouble following, the paths of knowledge and selfless service suit me better.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Riverwolf, I'm not sure what you mean by your vague reference to "an anti-Japanese thing going around during World War II." If you are referring to the Japanese-American internment camps of that period, it seems that with respect to modern Muslims, we are doing just the opposite. We are foolishly assuming that everyone who is a Muslim is perfectly innocent with no intention of harming the US. Don't you think that it is at least possible, that some Muslims have sound Qur'anic arguments for attacking the US?

There are also several passages in the Qur'an that expressly forbid aggressiveness, and an entire Surah dedicated to letting non-Muslims do as they will and believe as they will.

It might have been going overboard to lock up all the Japanese-Americans during WW2, but the fact of the matter is that the Japanese did attack the United States, killing thousands of Americans with out provocation, in an attempt to expand their empire over the Pacific. Should Americans have, at the very least, been cautious towards Japanese-Americans during the period? Wouldn't it have been a bit childish during WW2 to assert that the Japanese were harmless?

It certainly was childish to assume that every single Japanese-American was a potential threat to the point of placing them in run-down stables for living, when there was certainly far better quarters for them. It certainly also doesn't help the fact that we didn't do that to the Germans.

Besides, in your defense, the Japanese didn't bomb U.S. soil, nor were civilians hurt. Pearl Harbor was a military base, and Hawaii wasn't a U.S. state yet.

Kenect2

Riverwolf, you seem to know it all already so I won't insult you by attempting to debate with you any further.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Riverwolf, you seem to know it all already so I won't insult you by attempting to debate with you any further.

Okay, then I will remind you that I don't know all, and have provided no reason to cease debating, especially since I have already established that I have not studied Islam that much, yet. If I have mad errors in my arguments, I expect you to point them out so that I may correct them.

arimoff

You're very mistaken, YGF

Islam is in fact the cure for humanity's problems in the 21st. century, including the current Global Financial Crisis:

Global Financial Crisis: Could Islamic Finance Solve the Problem? - IslamOnline.net - Living Sharia'h

Islam has the answers to Global crisis? lol, what about economic problems with in Muslim countries? Countries with Muslim laws are mostly poor other then just few of them and they are also bankrupt https://www.arabfinance.com/News/newsdetails.aspx?Id=157004

So much money from oil and still can't handle it. Maybe you guys should start charging % on your loans no wonder you guys don't even have banks. Add to that Islamic extremists who cause economic meltdowns is some countries, and I can say you guys can brake a system not fix it.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
You might want to remind YOURSELF of that.

Show me where I told you that I know all, and I will accept this criticism.

Besides, ONLY THE LORD AND MASTER FOAMY KNOWS ALL!!!

foamy.jpg

Did we even begin debating? I directed several questions towards you which remain unanswered.

You didn't ask me very many questions. You asked:

Don't you think that it is at least possible, that some Muslims have sound Qur'anic arguments for attacking the US?

and

Should Americans have, at the very least, been cautious towards Japanese-Americans during the period?

and

Wouldn't it have been a bit childish during WW2 to assert that the Japanese were harmless?

The first question was answered implicitly, but I'll answer explicitly now: Muslim extremists do NOT have sound Qur'anic arguments in favor of attacking anybody, because I know that there are verses that forbid aggressive behavior. While I will admit that I can't remember exactly where it is ATM, I can direct you to this entire Surah:

1. Say: O ye that reject Faith!
2. I worship not that which ye worship,
3. Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
4. And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship,
5. Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
6. To you be your Way, and to me mine.

(Surah 109)

There. A Qur'anic argument for complete religious tolerance, leaving no excuse for religious intolerance among Muslims. ;)

For the second question, yes, caution would certainly have been wise. However, the Japanese are a country: Islam is a religion. There isn't really much reason to think that American Muslims, many of which, I hear (STRESS: I HEAR; I COULD BE WRONG) are far more liberal than Muslims found in the Middle-East.

As for the third question, sure, it would have been naive to do nothing and think that all Japanese-Americans were good citizens and not spies, but certainly the treatment they ended up receiving was childish, as well, and dropping the nukes on them was cowardly, and far worse than anything Al-Qaeda has ever done to us or others.

Islam is a wonderful
You can not find nothing contrary to reason
Calls for the one God
The Quran does not distort from 14 centuries
Contrary to the Bible
Islam is the true religion harbor is fighting in all parts of the world's most religions spread
Unfortunately, Muslims do not follow their religion, the great

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Islam is a wonderful
You can not find nothing contrary to reason
Calls for the one God
The Quran does not distort from 14 centuries
Contrary to the Bible
Islam is the true religion harbor is fighting in all parts of the world's most religions spread
Unfortunately, Muslims do not follow their religion, the great

This post is nothing but whishful thinking on your part.

Well, it could be just plain old denial.

no-body

I've read an English translation of the Quran and several sufi texts, mostly by Rumi. I know enough to know that I think Hadifs are what ruined Islam along with the extremists. I think the idea of submission to God is beautiful. However the biggest red flag to me that Muhammad was not "the final prophet" was one of the verses in the Quran that conveniently castigated Muhammad's wives for being jealouse of his new wife. Before that I was pretty interested in becoming a muslim or at least a sufi.

A-ManESL

... I know that there are verses that forbid aggressive behavior. While I will admit that I can't remember exactly where it is ATM,...

Another verse of the Quran regarding other faiths is:

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in God and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve. (The Holy Quran 2:62)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I've read an English translation of the Quran and several sufi texts, mostly by Rumi. I know enough to know that I think Hadifs are what ruined Islam along with the extremists. I think the idea of submission to God is beautiful. However the biggest red flag to me that Muhammad was not "the final prophet" was one of the verses in the Quran that conveniently castigated Muhammad's wives for being jealouse of his new wife. Before that I was pretty interested in becoming a muslim or at least a sufi.

I agree,the Ahadiths IMO are a cause of a lot of problems for Islam.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
There is support for religious tolerance but it is open to interpretation,for all the fundies Sayyid Qutbs books "Milestones" and "in the shade of the Qur'an" shed a light on their thinking,obviously this is the view of a minority in the West but Hezbollah,Hammas,Taleban all share in this thinking.Sayyid Qutb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what Qutb says about peace:

Any place where the Islamic Shari'ah is not enforced and where Islam is not dominant becomes the Home of Hostility (Dar-ul-Harb) ... A Muslim will remain prepared to fight against it, whether it be his birthplace or a place where his relatives reside or where his property or any other material interest are located.
The homeland of the Muslim, in which he lives and [upon] which he depends, is not a piece of land; the nationality of the Muslim, by which he is identified, is not the nationality determined by a government ... striving is purely for the sake of God, for the success of His religion and His law ....
[p.124-5]​

Riverwolf

Premium Member
There is support for religious tolerance but it is open to interpretation,for all the fundies Sayyid Qutbs books "Milestones" and "in the shade of the Qur'an" shed a light on their thinking,obviously this is the view of a minority in the West but Hezbollah,Hammas,Taleban all share in this thinking.Sayyid Qutb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what Qutb says about peace:
Any place where the Islamic Shari'ah is not enforced and where Islam is not dominant becomes the Home of Hostility (Dar-ul-Harb) ... A Muslim will remain prepared to fight against it, whether it be his birthplace or a place where his relatives reside or where his property or any other material interest are located.
The homeland of the Muslim, in which he lives and [upon] which he depends, is not a piece of land; the nationality of the Muslim, by which he is identified, is not the nationality determined by a government ... striving is purely for the sake of God, for the success of His religion and His law ....
[p.124-5]​

I don't know. Surah 109, and the above verse, 2:62, are pretty clear-cut. They don't seem all that open to interpretation.

But, of course, extremists who want to see themselves dominate the earth will twist anything, even the most clear-cut of statements that contradict what they're trying to do, to suit their own needs.