• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you feel is wrong with atheism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I'm going to expand on my illustration because it was for me a real experience.

Option 1 is effective, but has side-effects. Option 2 doesn't have the side-effects, but all the information pertaining to its effectiveness is not yet available. Option 3 isn't quite as effective, but doesn't have the side-effects. Option 4 is to wait for all the information is available for option 2. Option 5 is not to choose, which is itself a decision. What do YOU do?

Athiesm (option 5) says "none of the above"; agnosticism (option 4) says "I can't choose because I don't have enough information to make a completely informed choice." Because time is of the essence, both are effectively making the same decision.
No; agnosticism recognizes that "there is no choice" that can be made, because there is no information on which to base a decision. What you are supplying is not information --to bring it out of the analogy and back into the scenario of the agnostic's approach to God, it amounts to opinion.

Theism says one must have eyes trained to the task; atheism says there is nothing to see; agnosticism says since it is unsure, there's no sense in going to the trouble of training the eyes. No amount of sophistry (nuance) will relieve one of this dilemma.
I disgaree. The proper agnostic is quite sure of his position that there is no choice that can be made.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
... I disgaree. The proper agnostic is quite sure of his position that there is no choice that can be made.

This thread will go much more smoothly for you as soon as you learn to listen to what your opinion should be.

Like many of us, you seem to be operating under the delusion that you understand what your own belief system is.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
But I don't think you've been authorized to speak on behalf of the Lord Jesus Christ.

From what I've seen lately, it would appear that that is a self appointed duty.

Hey! That's a thought!

Maybe we should each take a day to appoint ourselves to the position of Spokesperson of God!!!

Man, I can't wait for my turn ...

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Look at it this way (I'll try to squeeze it into your analogy): Instead of Option 4 being "waiting for information to come available", Option 4 becomes "knowing that no information will ever come available." Agnosticism is not absent of an underlying philosophy.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
But I don't think you've been authorized to speak on behalf of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Oh YES I have...I am a disciple of Christ..I have spiritual gifts..I am chosen..

Hang on..I have to look something up real quick..Like "you will know them by their fruit"..Or something like that..

Love (because I have to)

Dallas

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Perhaps the thing most wrong with atheism is its constant state of denial.
Um...
You talk about the denial of atheists, yet how many Gods do you deny?

And to think, you actually deny the existence of how many Gods?
Seems to me that there is a world of difference between merely not believing in any god and denying all gods but the one(s) you favour.

GadFly

Sounds like someone is frustrated. I feel for you. God will sort us all out in the end.

However saying an atheist does not believe in truth will annoy me and many others. Fiction. Fantasy. Like God, Heaven and Santa Claus... God knows when your naughty and nice and generalizing that all atheist dont believe in truth is not just wrong its criminal.

Perhaps you should clarify your argument against atheists... Not believing in a god is in fact accepting truth not denying... a god mind you... The question of creatures who we could consider godly is never denied but nor is that your god... the christian god or any god by name on this planet since man became conscious.

I wonder if we were bipeds before or after we were conscious...

Nonetheless don't let me get sidetracked too much. You are wrong on this point and you should acknowledge that. There may be some atheist that dont believe in truth but saying all is wrong.
It is true that I am somewhat frustrated because I have been forced into a position that is not mine. As I read you, you do not belong in a category of atheist on this forum who have worked at stereotyping an image that does not represent what I believe. I hope that is true.

When I say that atheist reject absolute truth that is a philosophical statement and then when I explain why that is said, you are suppose to say why you disagree with that statement and explain why you disagree. We might continue to disagree or we may find a center position, etc. At the end we should still be friends instead of saying the other's position is a pile of dung. That is a minor expression that these debtors have used with me. I have learned where their sore spots are and it is such a great temptation to push their button when they go into their trait acts, that I yield to that temptation.

In this case, I see where you think that I am wrong. If you really think this type of debate is not proper, why don't you chide your atheist friends to comply with a higher standard of behavior. I am willing to abide by a higher standard but that is not the problem and if you are a fair judge, you will have to agree with me,

Status
Not open for further replies.