• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you delight in?

Jeremiah Ames

If delight is equivalent to desire, then it can be good or bad.
Whether it is good or bad depends solely on your motives.

If the motivation is to help self, it is bad. Person A works at a food kitchen to be recognized in church for his good deeds.

If the motivation is to help others, it is good. Person B works at a food kitchen to help others who are in need.

arthra

Baha'i
There are some excerpts that refer to "delight" from the Baha'i Writings and Psalms..and the Qur'an:

"Wert thou to reflect upon that which We have revealed unto thee, thou wouldst undoubtedly grasp Our purpose in this utterance and discover that which We have desired to impart unto thee within this paradise. Perchance thine eyes may rejoice in beholding it, thine ears take delight in hearing that which is recited therein, thy soul be enthralled by recognizing it, thy heart illumined by comprehending it, and thy spirit gladdened by the fragrant breezes that waft therefrom."

~ Baha'u'llah, Gems of Divine Mysteries, p. 44

94:19 "In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul."
(King James Bible, Psalms)

"By thy life, O my beloved! if thou didst know what God had ordained for thee, thou wouldst fly with delight and thy happiness, gladness and joy would increase every hour."

~~~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith , p. 363

"All blessings are divine in origin but none can be compared with this power of intellectual investigation and research which is an eternal gift producing fruits of unending delight. Man is ever partaking of these fruits. All other blessings are temporary..."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Foundations of World Unity, p. 60

1:2 "But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night."

(King James Bible, Psalms)

21. "Their Lord doth give them Glad tidings of a Mercy from Himself, of His good pleasure, and of gardens for them, wherein are delights that endure."

~ The Qur'an (Yusuf Ali tr), Surah 9

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Is delight good or bad? Does it matter what your delight rests on?

The use of Delight in the Psalms - Rightly Delighting and Wrongly De…
My primary delight is in the LORD, not because I have learned it in the Psalms, but simply because it is.

It is like the sun which then shines on everything else. It gives color to the rest of the world. All of the other things I delight in, are far more delightful because I delight in the LORD. The birds chirp more wonderously. The stars shine more brightly. The trees are more green. Food and wine are more flavorful. Children are more delightful. The relationships between men and women are more romantic. Music is more melodic. All of creation reflects back its Creator, as a sympony reveals its composer. All around me are delights. They do not belong to me. I am not attached to them. But there they are, coming and going, flowing in and out.