• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you call a Muslim who is 'non observant'?

wabisabi

I don't know if 'non observant' is the right word, that sounds like more of a Jewish term. But my daughter is dating a Muslim guy who doesn't go to the mosque, drinks alcohol, eats haram food, has sex:areyoucra, etc. I told her I remember reading a long time ago that there is a particular moniker, and I don't believe it was meant to be derogatory, for the type of person I'm talking about. Does anyone know what it is?

Fatihah

I don't know if 'non observant' is the right word, that sounds like more of a Jewish term. But my daughter is dating a Muslim guy who doesn't go to the mosque, drinks alcohol, eats haram food, has sex:areyoucra, etc. I told her I remember reading a long time ago that there is a particular moniker, and I don't believe it was meant to be derogatory, for the type of person I'm talking about. Does anyone know what it is?

Response: I don't know of a specific name but if what you say is true, he is not even a muslim. There is a such thing as a bad muslim. One who does not follow the sunnah properly. However, we can not say that the person is not a muslim if their intentions is to submit. However, from what you say above, he seems to have no intentions and muslim or not, he is not right for your daughter.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!

Some people would call him a munafiq- hypocrite, or they would call him a fasiq- one who commits crimes openly. Allah knows best what he is, but he is being quite disobedient to Allah, and like the brother said he isn't good for your daughter.

Any good Muslim man wouldn't be dating her to begin with because that's not what we do. He would also want to marry her and show both her and you some respect. I don't know your situation, but I would strongly suggest you persuade your daughter to leave him alone.

nawab

yeah if you said something like that in Pakistan, in my home town, that your daughter is dating i cant beleive the reaction of the people, there is nothing called a bad muslim its either you are or not kind of a thing but i will reccomend you to do something about it either to the guy or to your daughter

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Some people would call him a munafiq- hypocrite, or they would call him a fasiq- one who commits crimes openly. Allah knows best what he is, but he is being quite disobedient to Allah, and like the brother said he isn't good for your daughter.

Any good Muslim man wouldn't be dating her to begin with because that's not what we do. He would also want to marry her and show both her and you some respect. I don't know your situation, but I would strongly suggest you persuade your daughter to leave him alone.

I second that.

Peace

Shahzad

Transhumanist
Sounds like a regular guy to me, a nominal Muslim. Describes 90% of the Muslim guys I knew back in sixth form.

blm2007

If a person who never cares about the image of a true Muslim, and doing everything which is against the teachings of Islam and call himself as a Muslim as well then he is a fasiq who violates Islamic laws and penly and flagrantly violating Islamic laws and whose moral character is corrupted.
---------------------------------------------------------
Hadith Collection
Islam