• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do these Bible verses mean?

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Then, how do you explain this verse?
Luke 24:39 Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.” King James Bible Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

I will explain it in the same way as I have always explained it. It is a story, which means it is fiction, not fact.
Can it be verified by anyone that Jesus rose from the dead? No, it is just stories written by the gospel writers and there is nothing outside of the Bible that verifies it actually happened. A story is not proof that a story is true, that is circular reasoning.
I wish Baha'is would quit pretending to believe in the NT. If it is just stories, then it is fiction. It is not God's Word. It is not Scripture. Quit using it to show how your guy fulfilled prophecy in a book you don't even believe is the truth. Oh yeah, I keep forgetting... some things in it are true. Those things that Baha'u'llah says are true. Ok, never mind. That totally clears it up.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Just stories? Or, lies? The NT clearly teaches that Jesus was alive. To you, is it BS? Or, is it the Baha'i symbolic version that is true... that Jesus was "spiritually" dead and God resurrected him to "spiritual" life?

Acts 1:3
"After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God."
Acts 2:22-24 and 31-32 “Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know.
23 This man was handed over to you by God’s deliberate plan and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross.
24 But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him... that he was not abandoned to the realm of the dead, nor did his body see decay.
32 God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of it.
Only there were no witnesses outside of the story, it is just a story that SAYS that there were witnesses.

There are Baha'is who believe that Jesus might have been resurrected but even though they believe that IT DOES NOT MATTER, because it does not change the fact that Baha'u'llah was the return of Christ and the Messiah. Nothing can change who Baha'u'llah was and the fact that Jesus is not coming back to earth.

It is completely ridiculous to make such a big deal about a physical body being resurrected from a grave since all bodies die eventually and the body is not who we are.... The soul is who we are and the soul is eternal, the body is not eternal. Jesus and Baha'u'llah both said that. To glorify the flesh is against everything that Jesus taught. When Jesus said "Ye must be born again" He was not referring to the physical body, He was referring to the spirit, which is the same as the soul.

John 3:5-7 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
So Adam was not a real person, but he was the first prophet in the Adamic Cycle? What was he a prophet of? If the story were true, then he broke God's commandment and ate the forbidden fruit. If he is not real, then he is not a prophet, right? Or, am I missing something here?
Adam was a Prophet of God, just like all the Prophets.
The story is not true, not literally.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I wish Baha'is would quit pretending to believe in the NT. If it is just stories, then it is fiction. It is not God's Word. It is not Scripture. Quit using it to show how your guy fulfilled prophecy in a book you don't even believe is the truth. Oh yeah, I keep forgetting... some things in it are true. Those things that Baha'u'llah says are true. Ok, never mind. That totally clears it up.
If you believe in the resurrection story why aren't you a Christian, or is this just a way to dig at Baha'is because you have it in for them?

I will remind you of how the Baha'is view the Bible below, and it is a legitimate way to view it, and very logical, because THERE IS NO WAY it is possible that all the verses in the NT were the words of Jesus since they were not even written by the disciples who knew Jesus. :rolleyes: So why should I believe the words of men who wrote stories are literally true?

I do not have to CHOOSE between Jesus and Baha'u'llah because I believe they are of equal stature. You are the one who seems to want to make it a contest, Christianity or the Baha'i Faith. So what if the Christians got some things wrong? That does not subtract from who Jesus was. Jesus did not make a big deal out of His bodily resurrection, and in fact He never even said He rose from the grave. Other people who never even knew Him said that about Him. Do you have any logical abilities or are you just caught up in emotion?

From Letters Written on Behalf of the Guardian:

...The Bible is not wholly authentic, and in this respect is not to be compared with the Qur'an, and should be wholly subordinated to the authentic writings of Bahá'u'lláh.
(28 July 1936 to a National Spiritual Assembly)

...we cannot be sure how much or how little of the four Gospels are accurate and include the words of Christ and His undiluted teachings, all we can be sure of, as Bahá'ís, is that what has been quoted by Bahá'u'lláh and the Master must be absolutely authentic. As many times passages in the Gospel of St. John are quoted we may assume that it is his Gospel and much of it accurate.
(23 January 1944 to an individual believer)

When 'Abdu'l-Bahá states we believe what is in the Bible, He means in substance. Not that we believe every word of it to be taken literally or that every word is the authentic saying of the Prophet.
(11 February 1944 to an individual believer)

We cannot be sure of the authenticity of any of the phrases in the Old or the New Testament. What we can be sure of is when such references or words are cited or quoted in either the Quran or the Bahá'í writings.
(4 July 1947 to an individual believer)

Except for what has been explained by Bahá'u'lláh and 'Abdu'l-Bahá, we have no way of knowing what various symbolic allusions in the Bible mean.
(31 January 1955 to an individual believer)

From letters written on behalf of the Universal House of Justice:

The interpretation of biblical prophecies has long been the subject of controversy and speculation among religious scholars. As Bahá'ís, we know that we must turn to the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, 'Abdu'l-Bahá and Shoghi Effendi for authoritative guidance in these matters. When a subject has not been mentioned or explained in the Sacred Writings, we are free to consult other books and to consider the opinions of scholars if we wish to do so.

In studying the Bible Bahá'ís must bear two principles in mind. The first is that many passages in Sacred Scriptures are intended to be taken metaphorically, not literally, and some of the paradoxes and apparent contradictions which appear are intended to indicate this. The second is the fact that the text of the early Scriptures, such as the Bible, is not wholly authentic.
(28 May 1984 to an individual believer)

...The Bahá'ís believe that God's Revelation is under His care and protection and that the essence, or essential elements, of what His Manifestations intended to convey has been recorded and preserved in Their Holy Books. However, as the sayings of the ancient Prophets were written down some time later, we cannot categorically state, as we do in the case of the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, that the words and phrases attributed to Them are Their exact words.
(9 August 1984 to an individual believer)

The Bible: Extracts on the Old and New Testaments

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Only there were no witnesses outside of the story, it is just a story that SAYS that there were witnesses.

There are Baha'is who believe that Jesus might have been resurrected but even though they believe that IT DOES NOT MATTER, because it does not change the fact that Baha'u'llah was the return of Christ and the Messiah. Nothing can change who Baha'u'llah was and the fact that Jesus is not coming back to earth.

It is completely ridiculous to make such a big deal about a physical body being resurrected from a grave since all bodies die eventually and the body is not who we are.... The soul is who we are and the soul is eternal, the body is not eternal. Jesus and Baha'u'llah both said that. To glorify the flesh is against everything that Jesus taught. When Jesus said "Ye must be born again" He was not referring to the physical body, He was referring to the spirit, which is the same as the soul.
So the story says there were witnesses, but it's not true? So much for the NT being God's Word.

The "fact" that Baha'u'llah was the return of Christ? That's what we are debating. It is not a "fact". You neglect the verses that say it is Jesus that is coming back.
1Thessalonians 4:14-16 "For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15According to the LORD's word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the LORD, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the LORD himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first."

Revelation 22 :12-13 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.
13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End...
16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”
20 He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.
You keep saying that nowhere does it say that Jesus is coming back. Unless you have a real good interpretation of these verses, you might be wrong about that.
To say, "To glorify the flesh is against everything that Jesus taught." ignores the verse that the resurrected Jesus says he has flesh and bone and is not a ghost. So you ignore another verse that contradicts your beliefs.

Adam was a Prophet of God, just like all the Prophets.
The story is not true, not literally.
Hmmm? He is a prophet? Not to the Jews or Christians. But wait... he's not real. So you believe a fictional character in the Bible was a real prophet and named a cycle after him? Does that Adamic Cycle include Hinduism and Buddhism? Or, were they in a different cycle?

If you believe in the resurrection story why aren't you a Christian, or is this just a way to dig at Baha'is because you have it in for them?
Where did I say that I believed in the resurrection. I question whether or not it is true. And, I also question the Baha'i explanation about the resurrection. All I say is that the NT teaches that Jesus came back to life. Fantasy? Probably. But why would Christians make up such a lie? Or, I'll call it what you like to call it... a "story". Why would the Christians make up such a fictional story?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So the story says there were witnesses, but it's not true? So much for the NT being God's Word.
I never said that the Bible is God's Word. It is the testimony of God through men, quite a different animal.
The "fact" that Baha'u'llah was the return of Christ? That's what we are debating. It is not a "fact".
No, it is not a fact, it is a belief.
You neglect the verses that say it is Jesus that is coming back.
1Thessalonians 4:14-16 "For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. 15According to the LORD's word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the LORD, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the LORD himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first."

Revelation 22 :12-13 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.
13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End...
16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”
20 He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.
You keep saying that nowhere does it say that Jesus is coming back. Unless you have a real good interpretation of these verses, you might be wrong about that.
None of those verses are Jesus saying He is coming back again, but the verses below -- in plain English -- are Jesus saying he is not coming back again:

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

To say, "To glorify the flesh is against everything that Jesus taught." ignores the verse that the resurrected Jesus says he has flesh and bone and is not a ghost. So you ignore another verse that contradicts your beliefs.
The resurrected Jesus did not say anything, it was a story written about Jesus. How do you suppose that a man who never knew Jesus would know what Jesus said decades later, or do you even bother to employ logic?

But even if Jesus did say that he had flesh and bone how is that a glorification of flesh? No, you know as well as I do that Jesus did not glorify the flesh; Christians did that, and it is an abomination against Jesus, totally against everything Jesus ever taught. You do not care about truth do you? All you care about is getting after the Baha'is, but after 50 years aren't you getting a little tired of this game?
Hmmm? He is a prophet? Not to the Jews or Christians. But wait... he's not real. So you believe a fictional character in the Bible was a real prophet and named a cycle after him? Does that Adamic Cycle include Hinduism and Buddhism? Or, were they in a different cycle?
The story of Adam and Eve is fictional, but Adam was real. I believe that because Abdu'l-Baha wrote it. Yes, Hinduism and Buddhism are in the Adamic Cycle.
Where did I say that I believed in the resurrection. I question whether or not it is true. And, I also question the Baha'i explanation about the resurrection. All I say is that the NT teaches that Jesus came back to life. Fantasy? Probably. But why would Christians make up such a lie? Or, I'll call it what you like to call it... a "story". Why would the Christians make up such a fictional story?
Adrian started a thread on the resurrection a while back and it went on forever. The consensus is that there is no way to know why it was written in the NT that Jesus rose from the grave. I do not care if He did rise because it does not change my beliefs. Jesus is not coming back, and all I need is John 17:4 and John 17:11 to know that I do not even need to be a Baha'i to know that.

There are logical explanations as to why the story was written that way and here is one of them:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/resur_lt.htm

Resurrection views- Religious tolerance

There is a near consensus among liberal, and some mainline theologians, that:
  • The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were not written by Jesus' disciples but by person or persons whose names are unknown.
  • Neither Paul nor any of the Gospel writers had been an eyewitness to Jesus' ministry, execution, or after-death appearances.
  • The Gospels record the beliefs and memories of various Christian groups as they had evolved at the time they were written.
  • God did not directly inspire the authors of the Bible. Instead, the writers composed text in support of their personal beliefs and those of their faith group. In particular, the Gospels contain various passages of religious myths which describe Christian traditions which were invented after Jesus' death.
  • The Bible is not inerrant. Many passages in the Gospels and Epistles of the Christian Scriptures (New Testament) contain religious propaganda, beliefs unique to the author and his/her faith group, words created by the authors and attributed to Jesus, stories of events that never happened, material picked up from surrounding Pagan cultures, etc.
Liberals compare Bible passages in the light of contemporary Jewish, Pagan and non-canonical Christian writings. They also study the culture of the time and the beliefs of surrounding Pagan societies. Of particular interest are the evolving beliefs of the followers of Christ during the approximately seven decades between the crucifixion and the completion of the last Gospel, John. They have come to very different conclusions about the resurrection.

What many liberal theologians believe about Jesus' death:
Many liberal and some mainline Christian leaders believe that Jesus died during the crucifixion, did not resurrect himself, and was not bodily resurrected by God. At his death, his mind ceased to function and his body started the decomposition process. Returning to life a day and a half later would have been quite impossible. The story of having been wrapped in linen and anointed with myrrh seems to have been copied from the story of the death of Osiris -- the Egyptian God of the earth, vegetation and grain. The legend that he visited the underworld between his death and resurrection was simply copied from common Pagan themes of surrounding cultures. One example again was Osiris. "With his original association to agriculture, his death and resurrection were seen as symbolic of the annual death and re-growth of the crops and the yearly flooding of the Nile." 1

They also believe that Paul regarded the resurrection to be an act of God in which Jesus was a passive recipient of God's power. Paul did not mention the empty tomb, the visit by a woman or women, the stone, the angel/angels/man/men at the tomb, and reunion of Jesus with his followers in his resuscitated body. Rather, he believed that Jesus was taken up into heaven in a spirit body. It was only later, from about 70 to 110 CE when the four canonic Gospels were written, that the Christians believed that Jesus rose from the grave in his original body, and by his own power.

Later, perhaps after Paul's death, there was great disappointment within the Christian communities because Jesus had not returned as expected. They diverted their focus of attention away from Jesus' second coming. They studied his life and death more intensely. Legends without a historical basis were created by the early church; these included the empty tomb and described Jesus returning in his original body to eat and talk with his followers.

In previous centuries, almost all Christians believed in miracles as described in the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament). These included creation, the story of Adam and Eve, a talking serpent, the great flood of Noah, the drying up of the Red/Reed sea, a prophet riding on a talking ***, the sun stopping in the sky, etc. From the Christian Scriptures (New Testament), they believed in the virgin birth, the Christmas star, angels appearing to the shepherds, Jesus healing the sick, etc. Many, perhaps most, liberal Christians now believe that these stories are not to be interpreted literally as real events. Their faith has not been damaged by losing faith in the reality of these events. A growing number of liberals are now taking the final step by interpreting the stories of Jesus' resurrection and his appearances to his followers and to Paul as other than real events. Retired bishop John Shelby Spong commented:

"I do admit that for Christians to enter this subject honestly is to invite great anxiety. It is to walk the razor's edge, to run the risk of cutting the final cord still binding many to the faith of their mothers and fathers. But the price for refusing to enter this consideration is for me even higher. The inability to question reveals that one has no confidence that one's belief system will survive such an inquiry. That is a tacit recognition that on unconscious levels, one's faith has already died. If one seeks to protect God from truth or new insights, then God has surely already died." 3

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
….or do you even bother to employ logic?

You do not care about truth do you? All you care about is getting after the Baha'is...
Hopefully, your version of the Baha'i truth isn't the truth. I don't see it going anywhere. It does not have universal appeal. It doesn't not have love and respect for other people' religious beliefs. It is only another religion that thinks it is the only one that is right. Like Tony always tells me... I wish you well.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Hopefully, your version of the Baha'i truth isn't the truth. I don't see it going anywhere. It does not have universal appeal. It doesn't not have love and respect for other people' religious beliefs. It is only another religion that thinks it is the only one that is right. Like Tony always tells me... I wish you well.
Universal appeal is not what makes a religion true.
Just because we do not agree with other religion's doctrines that does not mean we do not respect the people .

Baha'is do not think we are the only religion that is right just because we believe we are the most current religion from God that meets the needs of this age. Moreover, the Baha'i Faith is the only unifying religion. It is the other Abrahamic religions who believe only they are right and everyone else is wrong.

“The Purpose of the one true God, exalted be His glory, in revealing Himself unto men is to lay bare those gems that lie hidden within the mine of their true and inmost selves. That the divers communions of the earth, and the manifold systems of religious belief, should never be allowed to foster the feelings of animosity among men, is, in this Day, of the essence of the Faith of God and His Religion. These principles and laws, these firmly-established and mighty systems, have proceeded from one Source, and are the rays of one Light. That they differ one from another is to be attributed to the varying requirements of the ages in which they were promulgated.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 287-288