• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do people think "atheist" means?

ArtieE

Why keep trying to come up with all the different labels, and not just ask whoever you are talking to what they mean?
Because of course if you can use one word instead of possibly many sentences and convey the same meaning it simplifies communication. Isn't that obvious?

Norrin-6-

Theism, weak atheism and strong atheism are just points on a line. Think of it as a pendulum where straight down is weak atheism and some force has to influence the pendulum to move it towards either theism or strong atheism.
This is post-hoc. Dawkins didn't use the term weak/negative atheism. In fact, Dawkins avoids this terminology.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Because of course if you can use one word instead of possibly many sentences and convey the same meaning it simplifies communication. Isn't that obvious?
Obvious? Yes. Enforcible? Sadly no. People use words and dictionaries struggle to keep up.

ArtieE

Not sure if someone has explained this, but it's actually a - theos - ism. But we don't determine a word's definition by its etymological roots. A word can mean anything.
If so so what? Still means not, without god(s) and not belief that god(s) don't exist.

Norrin-6-

It would be nice, but unfortunately we have people trying desperately to claim the word as their own. The word atheist, in philosophy, is almost universally (and I hope someone corrects me on that if I'm wrong) defined as a person who believes there's no god.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When a person tells me that he or she is an atheist, I think that tells me that this person is not a theist
When a person tells you he or she is a Catholic, Conservative, Liberal, Anarchist, apolitical, agnostic, polytheist, amoral, etc., what do each of these tell you that person is not? Or is atheist the only term used completely and only by people who (for some ridiculous reason) wish to identify themselves ideologically, philosophically, epistemologically, and/or intellectually in terms of a singular definition that describes that which they aren't, rather than what they are or what they think or believe?

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
When a person tells you he or she is a Catholic, Conservative, Liberal, Anarchist, apolitical, agnostic, polytheist, amoral, etc., what do each of these tell you that person is not? Or is atheist the only term used completely and only used by people who (for some ridiculous reason) wish to identify themselves ideologically, philosophically, epistemologically, and/or intellectually in terms of a singular definition that describes that which they aren't, rather than what they are or what they think or believe?
So true. Although I like most atheists only identify as such in the context of a discussion about Gods.

ArtieE

It would be nice, but unfortunately we have people trying desperately to claim the word as their own. The word atheist, in philosophy, is almost universally (and I hope someone corrects me on that if I'm wrong) defined as a person who believes there's no god.
And universally when people hear the word atheist they automatically know this person doesn't believe gods exist but unfortunately some people are trying to claim that in addition you would have to believe that gods don't exist to call yourself atheist which just complicates things.

Norrin-6-

And universally when people hear the word atheist they automatically know this person doesn't believe gods exist but unfortunately some people are trying to claim that in addition you would have to believe that gods don't exist to call yourself atheist which just complicates things.
Things are complicated no matter who you want to give blame to. There's no reason why people can't use the term to describe a person who lacks belief. And I get your reason for wanting clarity. It's never clear to me though.

ArtieE

When a person tells you he or she is a Catholic, Conservative, Liberal, Anarchist, apolitical, agnostic, polytheist, amoral, etc., what do each of these tell you that person is not? Or is atheist the only term used completely and only used by people who (for some ridiculous reason) wish to identify themselves ideologically, philosophically, epistemologically, and/or intellectually in terms of a singular definition that describes that which they aren't, rather than what they are or what they think or believe?
LOL. They aren't trying to identify themselves ideologically, philosophically, epistemologically, and/or intellectually they just want to identify themselves as not being theists. If they want to convey more than that there are plenty of other words.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
LOL. They aren't trying to identify themselves ideologically, philosophically, epistemologically, and/or intellectually they just want to identify themselves as not being theists.
How much time do you spent identifying yourself as not a florist, not a proponent of massive modularity, not a proponent of embodied cognition, not a proponent of the biomedical model of mental illness, not a proponent of the multiverse interpretation of quantum mechanics, not a conservative (but also not a proponent of any other political ideology), not a polytheist, not an agnostic, not a constructivist, etc.? Notice that in most cases I can't even give a word to describe the position one is "not a proponent of". That's because we don't bother to define terms to deal with the infinitely many alternatives to a given position. We use words that mean something. There's no point to atheist/atheism as simply "not theism", because we can simply say "not theism" or "not theist". And in every other case, that's what we do (and in this case, that's also what we do only in the past couple of decades some have denied this).

Last edited:

ArtieE

How much time do you spent identifying yourself as not a florist, not a proponent of massive modularity, not a proponent of embodied cognition, not a proponent of the biomedical model of mental illness, not a proponent of the multiverse interpretation of quantum mechanics, not a conservative (but also not a proponent of any other political ideology), not a polytheist, not an agnostic, not a constructivist, etc.? Notice that in most cases I can't even give a word to describe the position one is "not a proponent of". That's because we don't both with the infinitely many alternatives to a given position. We use words that mean something. There's no point to atheist/atheism as simply "not theism", because we can simply say "not theism" or "not theist". And in every other case, that's what we do (and in this case, that's also what we do only in the past couple of decades some have denied this).
Here in Norway I never go around identifying myself as an atheist. It's a given. Just a little over 20% are self-identified theists. I haven't used the word in conversation outside forums for I don't know how long. It's not something we identify us as, we are just not theists. Most have no interest in God at all. They just can't be bothered to put any effort into taking any position. It's a non-issue.