• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do Hindus Require to Recognize Another from Outside Their Culture As Hindu?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That means Advaita Vedanta is the final word of Hindus, right?
Nope. There is no 'final word of Hindus'. Hinduism isn't a single, organized religion, in the Abrahamic sense. It's a hodge-podge of all sorts of different religious traditions from many different regional cultures.
Each Hindu decides his own "final word;" his own theology and practice.

Shantanu

Nope. There is no 'final word of Hindus'. Hinduism isn't a single, organized religion, in the Abrahamic sense. It's a hodge-podge of all sorts of different religious traditions from many different regional cultures.
Each Hindu decides his own "final word;" his own theology and practice.
If Advaita Vedanta is not the final word of the Hindus or the 'End' of the Vedas, there is no such thing as Vedanta. So why do you call your religion Vedanta (reform)?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If Advaita Vedanta is not the final word of the Hindus or the 'End' of the Vedas, there is no such thing as Vedanta. So why do you call your religion Vedanta (reform)?
Ordinarily I'm not 'religious', in the usual sense, but I'm OK with pigeon-holing myself as Vedanti if asked to specify some particular belief system.
This, of course, usually brings a blank stare, so I just say "Hindu" and my interlocutor's usually satisfied.:D
I add "reform" to give myself some wiggle room, in case one of my heterodox viewpoints clashes with orthodoxy.

Shantanu

Ordinarily I'm not 'religious', in the usual sense, but I'm OK with pigeon-holing myself as Vedanti if asked to specify some particular belief system.
This, of course, usually brings a blank stare, so I just say "Hindu" and my interlocutor's usually satisfied.:D
I add "reform" to give myself some wiggle room, in case one of my heterodox viewpoints clashes with orthodoxy.
That is very clear now, for I am a Vedantist in the sense that we have to have something up-to-date to follow on what the Vedas said. I am Existentialist through the process of satya-advaita, so highly religious.