• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do atheists believe happens when you die?

Faust

And furthermore, who says rejecting the concept of God equates to a life of "sin" and "vice"?

Faust.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
For my religion, it's not wrong to be atheist. We concern ourselves with learning, and utilizing for good, knowledge. If it helps a person to be athiest, good for them.

Well beleiving in nothing like God and nothing after life that would mean they would not beleive in going anywhere but six feet under. Hell, I am glad I don't think like that or I would have no reason to live.

Betweenangelsandinsects

Pah

Uber all member
betweenangelsandinsects said:
Well beleiving in nothing like God and nothing after life that would mean they would not beleive in going anywhere but six feet under. Hell, I am glad I don't think like that or I would have no reason to live.

Betweenangelsandinsects
We feel pretty much the same way which is why we live for life not a promise of reward in death.

linwood

Why do most Christians feel life is worthless without the reward of an afterlife?

It just seems such a great waste to me.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Mr_Spinkles said:
First of all, the thing you have to understand, Irenicas and Druidus, is that I don't believe in things because I *want* them to be true, but because I *think* logically that they are probably true (or I think logically that something is probably not true). I would love it if Santa existed, but I just don't think it's very likely.

I think we humans have been hardwired for survival a little too well....our brains don't seem readily able to even comprehend the concept of death. Humans have come up with all sorts of beliefs about the "afterlife" meant to evade the obvious...when we die, we die. Everything you experience comes directly from your brain, so you can't possibly experience consciousness, memories, dreams, visions, etc. once your brain has stopped functioning.

If you want to know what not being alive is like, just think back to before you were born :)

There are some who claim memories prior to their birth; babies as yet unborn react to stimuli from their surrounds. They react to moods, to music. Is that 'not being alive?':)

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Hell, I am glad I don't think like that or I would have no reason to live.
If this is true, then I hope for your sake that you never have the courage to question your belief system - it would be a shame to perish from this earth because you developed the ability to reason....

TVOR

Yerda

Veteran Member
TranceAm said:
The point is not quoting others wisdom...
You can have get a Phd by just repeating without one original idea yourself what others have told you. (That is called getting an education.)
Hell, you can become pope or president that way.

The point is seeing the link yourself...

Oh, yes proof.. As always.
One example:
Don't you think it is remarkable that at different places on Earth, people can imagine and invent the SAME thing out of nowhere... Telephone as one good example.
One got the patent, but several did the invention.
What are you babbling about man?

Faust

[QUOTE+TranceAm]The point is not quoting others wisdom...
You can have get a Phd by just repeating without one original idea yourself what others have told you. (That is called getting an education.)
Hell, you can become pope or president that way.

The point is seeing the link yourself...

Oh, yes proof.. As always.
One example:
Don't you think it is remarkable that at different places on Earth, people can imagine and invent the SAME thing out of nowhere... Telephone as one good example.
One got the patent, but several did the invention[/QUOTE]Dear TranceAm,
I did not intend to suggest that your thoughts were not original.
In fact I thought what you had to say was very cool.
I have been a Beatles fan since 1962 and I get a kick out of serendipitous statements that happen to involve statements or lyrics by the beatles, especially John Lennon.
I apologize for the misunderstanding, however if I do disagree with something you say I will debate you using logic and reason to the best of my limited abilities.
Until then, if you have designs on the office of Pope or the presidency, you currently have my full support.
Faust.

Faust

Oops!
Sorry TranceAm.
I am old, and new to computers. I used + instead of = when attributing the quote to you.
I haven't figured out how to edit my posts.
My preferred medium is books.:eek:
Faust.

Faust

betweeangelsandinsects said:
Think about what you have said here.
This is the kind of statement that rings of "death cult".
Sorry TVOR, I have to spread some around, but you nailed it man.
Faust.

Green Man

Betweenangelsandinsects

Life's not worth living unless you have a fantasy to live for?I'm an atheist and I can't imagine being that pessimistic.

Faust

TranceAm said:
I didn't read it that way. I was more hoping for a reply based on or inspired by for example your Beatles quote. That would share some of the insights you have found when pondering such quotes for references in your own life. (Afterall that is what they are for... ;) )
Dear TranceAm,
I am he, as you are he, as you are me, and we are are all together, struck a chord with me because I had already been pondering interconnectedness when I first heard the words to the song " I am the WaIrus".
I recorded a six hour documentary as a teen- ager on the Beatles and one portion dealt with this song written by John Lennon and as the story goes, he was awakened from a nightmare by the sound of sirens. He was thus inspired to wright the lyrics to this song. You have to keep in mind that at this time fans were looking for secret meanings to their songs and they, John, Paul, George, and John Starkey aka Ringo, were playing on this. (The whole thing about Paul is dead, Billy Squire, Walrus as death sign in extreme north-american Indian culture were also incorporated into the tapestry.)
If listened to closely, it is a social commentary on the culture of the late sixties, early seventies.
I think the single most quote that hit me like a ton of bricks because it was also so in line with my own thoughts was "life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans" ( John Lennon). So you can "Imagine" how I might feel when others make statements that hit a bullseye with me, and just happen to spark earlier fond memories of a group of individuals whom I found such a profound commonality of thought with.
However, if I am to remain true to the original thread, I must stop being an apologist and address the subject at hand.
If any of us simply recalls a dreamless night, That is my conception of death.
Faust.

sleezy

The thing that motivates most people is the need to pay bills, eat, and do whatever else we want before we die and become worm food.

experiment13

I'm an atheist, so i don't think that any gods exist, but i do believe in reincarnation, and in the human soul, and frankly the thought that everybody is technically immortal does sound fairly cool, the reason that i sometimes find it depressing is because every time your reincarnated you lose the memories of your old life, all you did, who you loved, family members, and would start a completely new life with no recollection of your old personality, is almost worse than the idea of darkness for all eternity.

by the way, this isn't me saying that i know what its like, but i once had a weird dream and i died in it, a sudden death as well, and what happened was that there was darkness all around me and nothing but the sound of my rapid breath, but even that started to slowly recede, so i think that may be what death is actually like, but i hope it isn't :no:

jmn

It will be just like taking a Zolpidem (Ambien). I would say beyond deep sleep though. Its like a permanent off switch. No brain function equals no life which equals no you.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Depends on the atheist. I know one who believes in ghosts.

Buddhist atheist may believe in reincarnation.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Absolutely no evidence for ghosts:facepalm:, about like gods or reincarnation.

I know. What about it?

I was providing information about the view of afterlife shared by some atheists.

Not all atheists discard all supernatural. He had first hand experiences, so he believes in ghosts :shrug: