• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Day was Jesus Crucified?

Beta

DP , not wishing to be argumentative or disrespectful to your faith but do you keep the Sabbath and the Passover (incl Holy Days as per scriptures) ?
As I have observed them for the past 30 years I do have some understanding of when they start and finish. :)
I am no stranger to God's Commandments.

smokydot

Reading those verse in context is something that is needed as well. That is something Smoky didn't do. If one reads the rest of those verses, one would see more of a message. As in, Paul is talking about the general resurrection. For Paul, Jesus is not special just because he was resurrected, but is the first to be resurrected.
In the context of 1 Cor 15:12-19, Paul is proving that there is a general resurrection of the dead, by logically showing, based on the resurrection of Christ,
the absurdity of saying there is not one. "How can some of you say there is no resurrection?" (v.12)

His reasoning is: because Christ has risen, there is resurrection of the dead.
And to say there is no resurrection of the dead, is to say that Christ could not rise from the dead.
But he did rise from the dead. . .so it's absurd to say there is no general resurrection.
So I don't think Paul is actually talking about a scapegoat. But that Jesus was the first fruits, or the first of the general resurrection.
Agreed.

Paul was not talking about a scapegoat in 1 Cor 15:12-19, he was addressing the denial of a general resurrection of the dead.

smokydot

There have been over 700 posts on this subject and at least half of them explaining how Jesus died on a wednesday the prep of passover to fulfill his own prediction of 3 days and 3 nights and still you cling to friday and say you have a problem. You always will have as long as you don't hear him. The gospels do not say otherwise !
The gospel of Matthew, in 28:1-7, reports that he rose on Sunday.

"After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary (wife of Clopas and sister of the mother of Jesus--Mt 27:56; Jn 19:25)
went to look at the tomb.
There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. . .The (Roman) guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.
The angel said to the women, '. . .he is not here; he has risen, just as he said. . .and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' "

Last edited:

smokydot

So scripture never says it was a 'friday' neither - does it ?
I believe SMOKY stated a wednesday crucufixion many times but maybe you overlooked those. Ask him ! Although he then goes on to say it was a sunday resurrection which scripture never states. Jesus rose at Sabbath sunset since he was buried wednesday sunset. Early sunday (while still dark) he was already risen.
At that point, I thought it was on a Friday, but I'm trying to sort out the days of the week in relation to the dates of the week.

Beta

I'm not clear yet if that Sabbath is a regular Saturday Sabbath, or the special Sabbath of Nisan 15 on another day of the week, like Thursday.
OK friend - so I won't call on you as a witness to a wednesday crucifixion. Wouldn't want to put pressure on you.
To me Nisan 15 is the High Day (the first Annual Sabbath or first Day of Unleavened Bread) referred to in Joh.19v31. If it were the friday before the weekly Sabbath when would the womwn buy and prepare spices before returning to the tomb with ointment ? And where is the day the women rested the sabbath day according to the Commandment (ref to the weekly Sabbath of rest ) ?
Anyway I leave the decision with you.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
At that point, I thought it was on a Friday, but I'm trying to sort out the days of the week in relation to the dates of the week.

All of your scriptures, from what I can tell, say it was a Passover Preparation that appeared to be happening in the latter part of the week such as on Friday and the corresponding Sabbath on (Friday evening to Saturday evening) followed by the morning of the first day of the week which is Sunday morning. Anything Wednesday or Thursday seems unlikely other than (Thursday evening to Friday morning) as Yeshua is being taken into custody.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Sorry friend ...here comes that arrogance again (which really it isn't believe me). I'm sure you believe and trust in God....but you reject His Son who died for YOU (and me)! :yes:
That is a statement of faith. And only that. If you want to preach, that's fine, but I don't need it.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
In the context of 1 Cor 15:12-19, Paul is proving that there is a general resurrection of the dead, by logically showing, based on the resurrection of Christ,
the absurdity of saying there is not one. "How can some of you say there is no resurrection?" (v.12)

His reasoning is: because Christ has risen, there is resurrection of the dead.
And to say there is no resurrection of the dead, is to say that Christ could not rise from the dead.
But he did rise from the dead. . .so it's absurd to say there is no general resurrection.
Agreed.

Paul was not talking about a scapegoat in 1 Cor 15:12-19, he was addressing the denial of a general resurrection of the dead.

I for once have to agree with you.

Now, that doesn't mean I believe in the resurrection at all. But I do agree with your understanding of scripture in this case.

Beta

The gospel of Matthew, in 28:1-7, reports that he rose on Sunday.

"After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary (wife of Clopas and sister of the mother of Jesus--Mt 27:56; Jn 19:25)
went to look at the tomb.
There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. . .The (Roman) guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.
The angel said to the women, '. . .he is not here; he has risen, just as he said. . .and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' "
The whole point of the resurrection is in v 6 :He is not here for he is risen as he said. Jesus was not there , he was already risen - Jesus was not rising then but was risen - past tense, must have been since he was no longer there. And what did he say about his resurrection ? That he would be in the tomb 3 days and 3 nights. So where are the 72 hours from friday sunset to early sunday morning if it were a sunday resurrection ? Hardly 30 hours and not 72. The friday/sunday resurrection points to a false Messiah whom traditional christians have followed since and observing the sunday instead of God's Holy Sabbath.
But you take your time friend ...this is not to be rushed ! :)

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
So scripture never says it was a 'friday' neither - does it ?
I believe SMOKY stated a wednesday crucufixion many times but maybe you overlooked those. Ask him ! Although he then goes on to say it was a sunday resurrection which scripture never states. Jesus rose at Sabbath sunset since he was buried wednesday sunset. Early sunday (while still dark) he was already risen.
Yes, scripture never states that Jesus was crucified on a Friday. However, there is no need to specifically state that. The reason why is because it is implied by the rest of the narrative.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The whole point of the resurrection is in v 6 :He is not here for he is risen as he said. Jesus was not there , he was already risen - Jesus was not rising then but was risen - past tense, must have been since he was no longer there. And what did he say about his resurrection ? That he would be in the tomb 3 days and 3 nights. So where are the 72 hours from friday sunset to early sunday morning if it were a sunday resurrection ? Hardly 30 hours and not 72. The friday/sunday resurrection points to a false Messiah whom traditional christians have followed since and observing the sunday instead of God's Holy Sabbath.
Maybe Jesus was simply wrong? Or maybe it was meant to be symbolic, and the time really didn't matter? Either way, we are told when Jesus is crucified. It was a Friday by modern understanding. We can know this because of the context and relation to the Sabbath.

Beta

Maybe Jesus was simply wrong? Or maybe it was meant to be symbolic, and the time really didn't matter? Either way, we are told when Jesus is crucified. It was a Friday by modern understanding. We can know this because of the context and relation to the Sabbath.
Perhaps you don't believe in the 7 Annual Sabbaths or Feasts of the Lord Lev.23 that are quite separate of the weekly Sabbaths also mentioned there. And every Annual Sabbath has also a preparation day apart from friday.
Bible tells us that Jesus' death, burial and resurrection are according to scripture . Any modern understanding comes from man who is wrong.

smokydot

Perhaps you don't believe in the 7 Annual Sabbaths or Feasts of the Lord Lev.23 that are quite separate of the weekly Sabbaths also mentioned there. And every Annual Sabbath has also a preparation day apart from friday.
Bible tells us that Jesus' death, burial and resurrection are according to scripture . Any modern understanding comes from man who is wrong.
Those are the Sabbaths that I am referring to.
Feast of Unleavened Bread was one of them, with a Sabbath on its first day and a Sabbath on the seventh, which is its last, day.
If the Feast began on a Thursday, for example, Thursday, Saturday and Wednesday in that seven-day feast period would all be Sabbaths.
That means the Sabbath of Nisan 15 could be on a week day, and Jesus rose after the following Saturday Sabbath.

What remains then is the day he rose, and Mt 28:1-7 indicates it was a Sunday.

Last edited:

connerb

there are two kinds of sabbaths. the weekly sabbath on Saturday and annual sabbaths on days like passover. there could have been two sabbaths in the week when Jesus was crucified. one could have been on Thursday which would put the crucifiction on Wednesday and would allow the three days and three nights. remember Jesus himself said that the ONLY sign He was the son of God would be the 3 days and 3 nights in the grave. so if you do not believe He was in the tomb 72 hours then you are denying the one and only sign He said would prove who he was.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
That has all been explained already. We are told the day after Jesus was crucified, that it was a Sabbath. That is the whole reason he was suppose to have been taken down. We are talking about the weekly sabbath here, which is Friday from sunset to Saturday to sunset.

I'm also sure that you are not very familiar with the actual Jewish feasts, so there is little need to go into much more detail.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
there are two kinds of sabbaths. the weekly sabbath on Saturday and annual sabbaths on days like passover. there could have been two sabbaths in the week when Jesus was crucified. one could have been on Thursday which would put the crucifiction on Wednesday and would allow the three days and three nights. remember Jesus himself said that the ONLY sign He was the son of God would be the 3 days and 3 nights in the grave. so if you do not believe He was in the tomb 72 hours then you are denying the one and only sign He said would prove who he was.
Lets take that for a moment. For that to work, Jesus would have to die before Passover. This works for John, but not the synoptics.

So here is the problem. In the synoptics, we are told that Jesus is killed on Passover. We know this because he has the Passover meal.

So, obviously, the next day couldn't be an annual Sabbath, as, according to you, that annual Sabbath is the day in which Jesus is killed; Passover.

So the only Sabbath that can be spoken of here is the Sabbath from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset; the weekly Sabbath.

Again, we know Jesus was killed on a Friday. There is no to get around it unless you ignore what the Gospels state.

smokydot

But Sunday actually began the day before at sunset. Close to 12 hours of Sunday had elapsed when the women arrived at the tomb.
He could have risen hours before and still risen on Sunday.

So, here's how those particular facts would shake out:
Day of Preparation -- Tuesday, Nisan 14
Ate Passover (Mk 14:12-18) -- Tuesday evening, Nisan 15
Crucified -- Wednesday, Nisan 15, annual Sabbath of Unleavened Bread
In tomb -- Wednesday evening (Nisan 16, annual Sabbath of Firstfruits) thru Saturday Sabbath evening (Nisan 19)
Women arrive at tomb -- Sunday (Nisan 19)

Okay, harmonious and dirty-penguin, help me out here.
My Sabbaths aren't working.
Could the Jews prepare his body for burial on an annual Sabbath (Nisan 15)?

Last edited: