• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Day was Jesus Crucified?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Well, there we go friend !!!
You seem quite prepared to believe what scholars and other people on the forum say but you don't accept the Bible as the Word of God .
That is why YOU have problems - I don't ! :)
I have problems? Yep, I have problems with Christians like you. The arrogance you are portraying is amazing.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
You're correct that my issue is that there is a discrepancy as to how long he was in the tomb. It makes the prophecy about his rising suspect as it seems to not meet his own prophecy linking back to Jonah. If he wasn't in the tomb 3 days and 3 nights, because we know by the scriptures that he wasn't, then we can't know if he rose or not.

I've always had a problem with the resurrection. Logically, it could not happen. People do not come back from the dead. However, there technically a chance for a miracle. And I see some reason to believe that maybe the resurrection happened; the strongest suggestion being that it was women who first saw the resurrection.

But you're right, the 3 days and 3 nights does pose a problem. I don't think there is a way to reconcile that. Because in this case, the days of the month don't really matter. The reason being that the days of the week are known. Both the synoptics and John have Jesus dying on a Friday. It is just the day of the month that changes.

A

angellous_evangellous

I've always had a problem with the resurrection. Logically, it could not happen. People do not come back from the dead. However, there technically a chance for a miracle. And I see some reason to believe that maybe the resurrection happened; the strongest suggestion being that it was women who first saw the resurrection.

But you're right, the 3 days and 3 nights does pose a problem. I don't think there is a way to reconcile that. Because in this case, the days of the month don't really matter. The reason being that the days of the week are known. Both the synoptics and John have Jesus dying on a Friday. It is just the day of the month that changes.

That's the strongest textual suggestion. It's also significant that every Christian tradition preserved some belief in the resurrection based on the missionary work of the apostles and their disciples. In other words, the people most closely associated with the life and ministry of Christ strongly believed that he arose from the dead, and other people were convinced by the simple honesty of this belief that it was true.

What captivates me about this is that these ancient people were much more familiar with death that we are. For us, death is confined to the hospital or at least in the presence of a medical professional striving at great lengths to save our life. For them, death occured in the home, on the side of the road, and in the streets. Death was all around them and a part of their lives. These folks knew when someone was dead, and when someone was alive. I don't think that there's room for mistake on this issue.

Now that doesn't mean that Jesus resurrected, it is just captivating.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
It is not in question that the NT reports that he rose.
What is in question here, due to the confusion regarding Jewish practices, is the date of his death.

Was "Day of Preparation for the Passover" Nisan 14 or 15?

I answered that right here....http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2273573-post407.html

Your scripture say that he was crucified on the day of Preparation (for Passover) and removed the same day right before the start of the Sabbath. Your scriptures show that Passover (Not the Preparation for it) and the Sabbath were on the same day. While that is cool to know....it does nothing for the discrepancy as to how long he was in the tomb compared to the prophecy given. It appears he was unable to meet his own prophecy. Do you have an opinion as to why there is a discrepancy? If so would you care to share it?

A

angellous_evangellous

I answered that right here....http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2273573-post407.html

Your scripture say that he was crucified on the day of Preparation (for Passover) and removed the same day right before the start of the Sabbath. Your scriptures show that Passover (Not the Preparation for it) and the Sabbath were on the same day. While that is cool to know....it does nothing for the discrepancy as to how long he was in the tomb compared to the prophecy given. It appears he was unable to meet his own prophecy. Do you have an opinion as to why there is a discrepancy? If so would you care to share it?

Two days is really three, just like three gods is really One.

smokydot

That's the strongest textual suggestion. It's also significant that every Christian tradition preserved some belief in the resurrection based on the missionary work of the apostles and their disciples. In other words, the people most closely associated with the life and ministry of Christ strongly believed that he arose from the dead, and other people were convinced by the simple honesty of this belief that it was true.
What captivates me about this is that these ancient people were much more familiar with death that we are. For us, death is confined to the hospital or at least in the presence of a medical professional striving at great lengths to save our life. For them, death occured in the home, on the side of the road, and in the streets. Death was all around them and a part of their lives. These folks knew when someone was dead, and when someone was alive. I don't think that there's room for mistake on this issue.

Now that doesn't mean that Jesus resurrected, it is just captivating.
1 Co 15:14-19 -- "And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God,
for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. . .If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sin.
Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men."

waitasec

Veteran Member
1 Co 15:14-19 -- "And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God,
for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. . .If Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sin.

face it smokey, a scapegoat cannot take away your guilt.

Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men."

paul said it, not me....

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
face it smokey, a scapegoat cannot take away your guilt.

paul said it, not me....
Reading those verse in context is something that is needed as well. That is something Smoky didn't do. If one reads the rest of those verses, one would see more of a message. As in, Paul is talking about the general resurrection. For Paul, Jesus is not special just because he was resurrected, but is the first to be resurrected.

So I don't think Paul is actually talking about a scapegoat. But that Jesus was the first fruits, or the first of the general resurrection.

Beta

There have been over 700 posts on this subject and at least half of them explaining how Jesus died on a wednesday the prep of passover to fulfill his own prediction of 3 days and 3 nights and still you cling to friday and say you have a problem. You always will have as long as you don't hear him. The gospels do not say otherwise !

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
There have been over 700 posts on this subject and at least half of them explaining how Jesus died on a wednesday the prep of passover to fulfill his own prediction of 3 days and 3 nights and still you cling to friday and say you have a problem. You always will have as long as you don't hear him. The gospels do not say otherwise !
Because scripture never states that it was on a Wednesday. You simply created that opinion in order to make your idea fit. However, it simply doesn't. That's been explained.

Also, I believe you are the only one who has even supported the idea of Jesus dying on Wednesday. And I can guarantee your argument did not take up half of the posts.

Last edited:

Beta

So then why do I have a problem? I believe and trust in God.
Sorry friend ...here comes that arrogance again (which really it isn't believe me). I'm sure you believe and trust in God....but you reject His Son who died for YOU (and me)! :yes:

smokydot

There is no confusion about Jewish practices. At Jesus' time, as at all times, the practices have ever been the same.

The only confusion comes because the authors of the gospels could not add.

The 14th of Nissan. As I said, it is just the day before Passover, not a special day unto itself.
What day of the week do you think it was?

Beta

Because scripture never states that it was on a Wednesday. You simply created that opinion in order to make your idea fit. However, it simply doesn't. That's been explained.

Also, I believe you are the only one who has even supported the idea of Jesus dying on Wednesday. And I can guarantee your argument did not take up half of the posts.
So scripture never says it was a 'friday' neither - does it ?
I believe SMOKY stated a wednesday crucufixion many times but maybe you overlooked those. Ask him ! Although he then goes on to say it was a sunday resurrection which scripture never states. Jesus rose at Sabbath sunset since he was buried wednesday sunset. Early sunday (while still dark) he was already risen.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

You're the only one holding to a Wednesday crucifixion here. Your scriptures (John 18 and on) say he was crucified on the (Passover Preparation) but shortly thereafter Joseph of Arimathaea was allowed to remove him before the Sabbath. He was taken into custody Thursday (morning) and crucified sometime between Thursday evening (which by Jewish calendar days is a new day) and Friday morning/afternoon. So he died on Friday (Passover Preparation) but by law was removed from the cross before the Sabbath (Friday evening to Saturday evening). The first day of the week (when the light was coming up) would have been Sunday morning. Remember, Saturday evening starts the new day and Sunday morning would still be part of that day. The women came to the tomb and there was no Yeshua. You do the math....and it will never come to three days three nights....

smokydot

I'm not clear yet if that Sabbath is a regular Saturday Sabbath, or the special Sabbath of Nisan 15 on another day of the week, like Thursday.