• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What day is the Sabbath?

dharveymi

As you can see from my arguements, they are not baseless. You may not agree with them, but they are not baseless.

All historical evidence from near-eastern ancient cultures suggests that no society with the exception of Egypt (and then only late,) used a continuous week as we know it today. Most ancient societies used a lunar calendar with specific days in the month (associated with the lunar cycle) set aside for religious or other purposes.

All the evidence from the Bible suggests that the Jews did the same thing. The earliest conclusive evidence for a continuous week insensitive to the lunar or other cycle can only be traced back to the late 1st century. It's widespread use can only be traced back to the middle of the second century under the authority of the Catholic church and the Babylonian rabbis.

Considering it logically, God, though the Bible writers, laments how His people abandon Him in favor of their dependance on other people. Why would God trust the keeping of His Sabbath on the ability of people to remember the right day. There is no record of anyone keeping track of when Sabbath occured so we could trace back and know that we were keeping the right day. Why not? Why is there no biblical record of a group of people whose job it was to record the keeping of sabbath? Why does God command us to "Remember the Sabbath day," if there was no possibility that we might forget? If Sabbath is not suppose to be kept as we do today, it is fairly simple to determine the correct day. Simply observe the new moon, and count seven days. If you believe that Saturday is Sabbath, you are not displaying faith in God, you are displaying faith in man, faith that dispite man's inability to remember or keep any of God's laws, somehow he has remembered on what day Sabbath is.

You seem quite critical of me, personally. I get that a lot, but I hold no animosity toward you. I used to hold a view very much like yours. I have defended a Saturday Sabbath as a Christian for decades, but I was wrong. The Bible declares that the moon was made for appointments of which Sabbath is the cheif. God desires to meet with us, he has made an appointment. You can decide whether to meet with Him or not, but it's not about me. You are welcome to disagree with me, but I respond only to arguements from the scripture, not personal attacks.

dharveymi

Deut. 32.8 said:
On the contrary, they are entirely unsubstantiated.

Just saying that someones view is unsubstantiated does not make it so. Demonstrating an error in his logic or facts would suggest that his view was unsubstantiated. A person who makes the claim without a reason is just being contrary.
  • I have quoted several scripture as evidence for my point of view.
  • I have countered your view of several scriptures and demonstrated how they support my view instead of yours.
  • You can show me no scripture that says that Sabbath is on the seventh-day of the week.
  • You can show me no passage that conclusively shows that Sabbath should be kept the ways that Jews and some Christians do today.
  • Every mention of Sabbath being kept, where a date can be determined, it is kept on the 8th or the 15th, or a new moon.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The argumentation is pathetic: your task is to demonstrate an instance where two consecutive Shabbats are separated by other than six days.