• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What day is the Sabbath?

Rex

Founder
I know many practice it on sunday, but I also know the Torah says it is on the Friday at sundown to the Saturday at Sunup ?

Am I right or wrong?

dan

You are correct, and it is to conmemorate the creation of the earth. When Christ was resurrected He changed the Sabbath to Sunday so that His resurrection became the central object of remembrance. The resurrection and the Atonement (effected in the garden of Gethsemane) are the two most important events in the history of this existence, and they must be remembered.

swazzy

I believe you have misunderstood the purpose of Jesuse coming to earth.
Jesus NEVER did away with the sabbath the only thing that was done away at the cross was the sacraficial ceromony. If you can find one verse in the Bible that says that Jesuse did away with this holy day I will give you a $1000 dollars.
If you look at History it was the Catholic Church that did away with this commandement the other churches that broke away from the Catholic faith continued in this Catholics foot step.

dan

There are a lot of truths that aren't in the Bible; but Christ fulfilled the law of Moses and the Sabbath was one of the things that was fulfilled. You misunderstand.

quick

These are proof text footnotes 35, 36 and 37, Chapter XXI, from the Westminster Confession about the Sabbath:

35] GEN 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

1CO 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

ACT 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

36] REV 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet.

37] EXO 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates. MAT 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

The Confession itself reads as follows:

Chapter XXI

Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

I. The light of nature shows that there is a God, who has lordship and sovereignty over all, is good, and does good unto all, and is therefore to be feared, loved, praised, called upon, trusted in, and served, with all the heart, and with all the soul, and with all the might.[1] But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God is instituted by Himself, and so limited by His own revealed will, that He may not be worshipped according to the imaginations and devices of men, or the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representation, or any other way not prescribed in the holy Scripture.[2]

II. Religious worship is to be given to God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; and to Him alone;[3] not to angels, saints, or any other creature:[4] and, since the fall, not without a Mediator; nor in the mediation of any other but of Christ alone.[5]

III. Prayer, with thanksgiving, being one special part of religious worship,[6] is by God required of all men:[7] and, that it may be accepted, it is to be made in the name of the Son,[8] by the help of His Spirit,[9] according to His will,[10] with understanding, reverence, humility, fervency, faith, love and perseverance;[11] and, if vocal, in a known tongue.[12]

IV. Prayer is to be made for things lawful;[13] and for all sorts of men living, or that shall live hereafter:[14] but not for the dead,[15] nor for those of whom it may be known that they have sinned the sin unto death.[16]

V. The reading of the Scriptures with godly fear,[17] the sound preaching[18] and conscionable hearing of the Word, in obedience unto God, with understanding, faith and reverence,[19] singing of psalms with grace in the heart;[20] as also, the due administration and worthy receiving of the sacraments instituted by Christ, are all parts of the ordinary religious worship of God:[21] beside religious oaths,[22] vows,[23] solemn fastings,[24] and thanksgivings upon special occasions,[25] which are, in their several times and seasons, to be used in an holy and religious manner.[26]

VI. Neither prayer, nor any other part of religious worship, is now, under the Gospel, either tied unto, or made more acceptable by any place in which it is performed, or towards which it is directed:[27] but God is to be worshipped everywhere,[28] in spirit and truth;[29] as, in private families[30] daily,[31] and in secret, each one by himself;[32] so, more solemnly in the public assemblies, which are not carelessly or wilfully to be neglected, or forsaken, when God, by His Word or providence, calls thereunto.[33]

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:[34] which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,[35] which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,[36] and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.[37]

VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their wordly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

dharveymi

Sabbath is not on Saturday, Sunday, or any other planetary week day. Sabbath is instead on the 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29nd days of the lunar month. The ancient Jews had no continuous week as we think of it today; the continuous week did not gain wide acceptance from any group until the 2nd or 3rd century CE.

Ronald

The Sabbath is the seventh day. No ones Bible says different.
Commentary is the only place you can find Sunday being the "LORDS DAY"
Man made tradition. Precepts of men. Dellusion.
I take issue with truth that defies the word of God. And much of the above that claims a change in the word of God, is only fit for the dung heap.
The seventh day, sanctified on the seventh day of creation and made Holy, is still in full effect to this very day. What other part of Gods word do you not believe?

dharveymi

I believe in the seventh day, I just don't believe in the week. Search as you will, but you will not find that the Sabbath is the seventh-day of the week, but 29-7=22, 22-7=15, 15-7=8, 8-7=1 (the new moon festival) As a matter of fact there is no day of the week in all of the old testament. There is no 1st day of the week, there is no Sunday, there is no seventh day of the week, there is no Saturday. The new testament is similar, except the only day of the week identified is the first day of the week (by this time the pagan week had become quite popular, but it was still not a continuous week as we know it today.) Each month began with the counting that would lead to the sabbath on the 8th day (there was and is no zero day, so the first sabbath of the month was always on the 8th day, seven days after the new moon, the first day of the month.)

Rex_Admin said:
I know many practice it on sunday, but I also know the Torah says it is on the Friday at sundown to the Saturday at Sunup ?

Am I right or wrong?

"Sunday is a Catholic institution and its claims to observance can be defended only on Catholic principles. From the beginning to end of Scripture there is not a single passage that warrants the transfer of weekly public worship from the last day of the week to the first."

The Catholic Mirror of September 23, 1894, puts it this way: "The Catholic Church for over one thousand years before the existence of a Protestant by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday."

Thanks also to Constantine

dharveymi

Regardless the ancient Jews did not keep Saturday, Sunday, or any other planetary day. There is no evidence for a continuous weekly cycle in the Bible or ancient history.

Ronald

My! You are hard to convince. It is obvious you read the Bible. But you can't see the evidence? Yeshua/Jesus knew the Sabbath/7thday. You only need to go back to the first century to find the proper order of days, unless you only believe he was a prophet or just a good man. If that is the case, "NEVER MIND!" (Rose Anna Danna)

dharveymi

You can find no evidence in the life of Jesus of the continuous seven day week. There is not indication that a continuous weekly system was in use in the time of Jesus. There is evidence for a lunar month. A week that continues throughout history regardless of celestial events is a modern creation and its popular use can only be traced back to the second century.

I'm not talking about the order of the days, I'm talking about the very concept of the week. I do not question that Sabbath is the seventh-day, but it is not the seventh-day of the week.

Ronald

I would agree with not being the seventh day of the month, but weeks have been from creation, seven days long. The Sabbath is the period at the end of the six work days.

Ronald

I certainly proved it to me, from the Bible. There is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind. If you desire to disprove what I believe, Full speed ahead!

dharveymi

Well then I don't want to confuse you with the facts since your mind is made up. Show me the text that says Sabbath is the seventh-day of the WEEK, or stop saying that you worship on the Bible Sabbath, it's that simple.

Ronald

AH HA! I get your dialog! Ge.2:1 says Sheebee yom that he blessed and made holy, and he didn't name it the Shabbat Day, therefore the sheebee yom is a fake! Good reasoning, mind if I use it?
Please, confuse me with some facts, I still have an open mind. I will conscider all evidence regarding the matter.
OH, by the way sabbath means cease, Just what Ge.2:1 says "because on it he abstained from all his work which God created to make." (Tanach) So remember to cease from your creating on the Sheebee Yom/seventh day. Be refreshed!

dharveymi

Ok, my study began in Lev. 23. As the author is listing the feasts (appointments) of the Lord, the first feast listed is the Sabbath day. All of the other feast are celebrated on a particular day of the lunar month, all the the rest of these days are determined by the day of the month. But, for some reason we don't celebrate Sabbath the same way. Next, I learned that this word translated feasts (appointments) is mentioned in Gen. 1:14, and in Psa 104:19:

"He appointed the moon for seasons (appointments): the sun knoweth his going down."

This verse clearly says that the moon should be used to determine the time of appointments, but the moon isn't used today to determine when Sabbath comes. Why not? Because it was changed.

Further there where references to a new moon feast, which apparently lasted an indeterminate time (one or two days,) which no one celebrates anymore? Why not? Because it was done away with.

Finally, I looked for evidence that on a particular date sabbath was celebrated. I found, in every case that I could determine, Sabbath was celebrated on the 8th, 15th (full moon), and by extension on the 22nd, and the 29th of the lunar month.

I found that following the last sabbath of the month that the Jews celebrated a new moon feast that would end on the 1st day of the month with the appearance of the cresent moon in the evening. I found that they would celebrate this feast in much the same way that sabbath was celebrated, they would not work, buy or sell, and that they would open the temple for corporate worship. The days of the new moon would not be counted in the seven counting for sabbath, but the counting would simply begin again following the new moon.

Ronald

You must take into account Moses wrote the written Torah, not from experience, but by God's inspiration. God had set the weeks, months and years from the beginning of time. Check out Abimelek, he knew sin, before the decalogue was given at Siani. If you want reasons to discard a belief in a creator God, all you need to do is listen to the secular world, they're full of them. But read Pauls account of godlessness in Romans 1. You seem to want your account to be in order and in plain sight. "Here a little there a little." "Precept upon precept. It is all there for a searcher, the Truth that is. Error can be percieved in the mind of man anytime you doubt the truth/Word of God.