• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what causes something to be living

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Shall I assume you're not trying?
Other participants seem able enough.
(I get frubals now and then)

No, it's not that I'm not trying to understand. You seem to have this way of breaking up your posts in short metaphor-like phases. Sometimes it makes sense to me, sometimes it doesn't. Were you asking if I believed there was something greater than myself? Yes and no. The universe as a whole is greater, but I am part of that universe which makes up that whole.There is no real lesser or greater, it just is what it is.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What causes something to be a living thing?

The person to ask here is Mr. Spinkles. His area of academic study involves the issue of what causes something to be living. Unfortunately, he's on a break from the Forum at the moment.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
And you would extend this to include spirit that has no physical form?
I believe that spirit is simply very refined matter. When Jesus first appeared to His Apostles after his resurrection, they were afraid because they thought they'd "seen a spirit." So evidentally, under the right circumstances, a spirit can be at least seen.

No life beyond breathing?
Well, that may be how you interpreted my response, but it's not how I meant it. I meant simply that if something physical has a spirit dwelling within it, it is living. A body with no indwelling spirit is dead. The spirit, however, can continue to live outside of the body.