• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What causes homosexuality?

challupa

I see no difference.
How does this disqualify him from humane treatment?

Yet homosexuals are to be disqualified from humane treatment? He crossed the line. He needed to be reminded of that. We do have free speech but we also have consequences. Christians do not like to have consequences when they trot out bigoted statements and then cry religious persecution when the rest of society call them on the inappropriateness of their comments.

Homosexuality is not behavioral. That's your first problem. Not having a good grasp of what homosexuality is to start with.

challupa

You have hetero organs between your legs. Their purpose is hetero reproduction.

Sorry to play the "science" card, but it's the quickest way to clear up your confusion. If you're born hetero, gay can be nothing else but behavioral.

So then, what happens when you have both genitalia from birth? How do you decide which sex you are then? Homosexuality has occurred for a very long time and in some societies they have been given places of honor. The only reason why homosexuality is even a topic of discussion now is because of bigoted religions that think they know what God wants. God even made animals homosexual. Imagine that! Is it behavioral with them too?

challupa

Of course I'm ignoring them. They're usually driven politically, not scientifically.

That actually doesn't matter to me. On a fundamental level, ANY science that must redefine fundamentals of nature just to survive is not a science. From a scientific point of view, such a science is dysfunctional.

LOL are you for real or are you just yanking chains here!:slap:

Enai de a lukal

I didn't avoid your post, I found it unworthy of comment.
More like, you thought it best to pretend you never said those things rather than reply. Definitely a wise strategic choice.

Biology defines us as a heterosexual species.
Um, no... You can't just make something up and claim "biology says this". We are a species which reproduces sexually (i.e. heterosexually), but this does not make us "a heterosexual species" per se- clearly, a species with a substantial homosexual subset is not "a heterosexual species".

Homosexuals who have hetero reproductive organs must deny their natural condition to declare themselves homosexual.
Um, no... Talk about a doozy of a non-sequitur.

Psychology defines the extreme of this position as a disorder, "gender identity disorder".
That is not "the extreme of this position" (i.e. homosexuality), but something else entirely. You're just trying to throw a bunch of ***** at the wall, hoping some will stick.

My claim that homosexuality is unnatural has the backing of accepted science.
As I said, only if "homosexuality" and "unnatural" mean something different to you than they do in ordinary English. Homosexuality is pretty rampant in the animal kingdom- and something which occurs in nature, without the intervention of human beings is, by definition, natural. Oopsies, eh?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Pst. I'd like to actually play... I can't even get a response... I really must have been blocked in that 3 minute window between his first response to me and original asking of two questions.

We could always try the "Caramel in the Bellybutton" game for giggles.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
No.

You were demeaning them when you posted their behavior here without giving them a chance to speak for themselves, asking me to judge them.

Nope. I was presenting to you what happens and what I have experienced. I never asked you or anyone else to judge them. You brought up the word "guilty." I asked for clarification from you, to which you haven't answered. Much like many of the questions to you asking for clarification on your positions.

When my appeals for decency and morality to gays so often fall on deaf ears, as they are with you, how should I judge you?

What a bizarre question. Judge me however you want. I can guarantee you I've been called worse in my life. Give it your best shot, though, since there's no such thing as bad publicity, baby. :beach:

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
No doubt the paramecium can't be defined as asexual, either, can it?
Frogs can change sex.

There are many (70 or more) species of animals that engage in homosexual acts. I think doves have been recorded having necrophilic behaviors too.

This is where the dysfunction takes place. Science has never defined homo sapiens as anything other than hetero.
Where would human hermaphrodites be places (born with both sexes)?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Frogs can change sex.

There are many (70 or more) species of animals that engage in homosexual acts. I think doves have been recorded having necrophilic behaviors too.

It's about 1500 species who are known to engage in homosexuality, so far.

Other animals are into necro, too: Necrophilia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where would human hermaphrodites be places (born with both sexes)?

The preferred term now is intersex. ;)

Skwim

Veteran Member
Your classification as a heterosexual happens at birth. No amount of desires, attitudes or environment can change the presence of sex organs, ovaries or gender-related hormones.
FYI, classification is a systematic grouping of objects into categories on the basis of their eligibility. Classification is a human operation. Not an innate characteristic of anything.

You're preferences are therefore also determined at birth.
You mean that my preference for Beefeater Gin over Gordon's Gin was determined at birth, and that the change in my preference for brunettes from blondes was determined at birth? Wow! it appears I have absolutely no free choice in what I like at all. I like what I like because I have to like what I like. So much for free will. :bonk:

To be homosexual, you must have strong environmental influences contrary to your nature. This is probably the central reason why, when a person feels that they were born with the wrong gender, psychologists refer to it as a disorder (gender identity disorder).
Sorry, but GID only arises when a person experience significant dysphoria (discontent/emotional distress) with the sex they were born with, which is often abetted by social factors. Simply recognizing that one is of a different gender than their sex does not amount to gender identity disorder. :facepalm:

Parsimony

Are asexuality and celibacy (in the sense of abstaining from sex, as opposed to abstaining from marriage) unnatural or wrong? Why or why not?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
But that's the point, isn't it?

He did nothing more than state a personal preference. What right does anyone have to call him out?

What kind of nation are we if hetero people face retribution for simply coming out of the closet and claiming to be hetero?

Did he say it out loud?

Yes.

Then EVERYONE has a right to call him out.

Uberpod

Your classification as a heterosexual happens at birth. No amount of desires, attitudes or environment can change the presence of sex organs, ovaries or gender-related hormones.

You're preferences are therefore also determined at birth. To be homosexual, you must have strong environmental influences contrary to your nature. This is probably the central reason why, when a person feels that they were born with the wrong gender, psychologists refer to it as a disorder (gender identity disorder).

Your thinking is unnecessarily linear and binary. Please try harder.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
But that's the point, isn't it?
What point is that?
That Phil is under certain contractual conditions that he really should pay better attention to whenever he opens his mouth?

He did nothing more than state a personal preference. What right does anyone have to call him out?
You would do good to go read the interview and find out what was and was not said by Phil before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

What kind of nation are we if hetero people face retribution for simply coming out of the closet and claiming to be hetero?

No idea.
Nice non sequitur though.

Enai de a lukal

in all reality, what is there left to say? we said everything already and then repeated it ad nauseam...it has lost it's entertainment value

I think she meant the responses from our friend Clarity. Although that isn't especially surprising either- what could he have left to say, that wouldn't just dig him in deeper than he is already? :shrug:

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
I think she meant the responses from our friend Clarity. Although that isn't especially surprising either- what could he have left to say, that wouldn't just dig him in deeper than he is already? :shrug:

we went over the same thing over and over again in an effort to get back to rationality, but people with their head in the sand cannot be made to look at anything other than the dirt in their eyes. sad thing that.

he never actually responded with anything else but invectives and admonitions on how wrong those are who disagree with him. yet, he never managed to articulate anything that would have affirmed his stance other than his argument from authority (and to accept his opinions as authoritative is asking a bit too much).
Oh well, time to move on. :bkcat: