• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what are your thoughts on serial killers and mass murderers?

Titanic

I have done a lot of studying on serial killers, that is for sure. What is anybodys thoughts on Ted Bundy. I will give anyone who answers a frubal AS long as it is constructive. Do you think he is the posterboy for all serial killers?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know who that is, therefore I have no thoughts on him. However, you say "poster boy" and I hear "stereotype." I'm not a fan of stereotyping, so I would say this guy is the "poster boy" for one person: himself. Honestly, if I were to pick a "poster boy" for this, I would pick a god, not a human. The gods are the ones that embody essential principles like that.

A point of curiosity: why do you study these people?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I agree, although what makes you so sure all serial killers or mass murderers are psychopaths?

Well, unless they're targeting people they have personal vendettas against, they're typically psychopaths. Given the serial and mass aspects, it's safe to assume not that many people have so many vendettas.

Titanic

Well I used to study them a lot back in my teen years, not so much anymore. I guess you could call it being curious on just why they do the things they do. I do not think about it much anymore though. I just wanted peoples view on the subject that is all.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why do you think they do the things they do? are they born that way? or are they made that way? I have my on theory on why they do the things they do, what is yours? or do you even care? p.s list of possible causes, mass social rejection childhood abuse chemical imbalance or lack of sex in some cases. DO YOU KNOW WHY?

Just yesterday!...such coincidence!...a radio interview with an expert.
Sorry I didn't get his name....

But with high tech methods of machine and chemistry.....yes....
there is a difference in people that kill as emotional reflex.
The frontal cortex as well as other portions seem lacking in form and chemistry.
The natural inhibitors aren't there.

But as for intelligent planning and foresight.....such people that take life, are no different.
They simply have taken a line of thought and feeling and turned to it.

It is then considered that some violent people can be helped....or at least....drugged.
The other and more dangerous type.....can't be spotted.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Well I used to study them a lot back in my teen years, not so much anymore. I guess you could call it being curious on just why they do the things they do. I do not think about it much anymore though. I just wanted peoples view on the subject that is all.

I wouldn't say I've ever 'studied' them, since there is only so many hours in the day, but I've read a little, watched a few docos, etc. I would think the primary drive in studying them is to try and understand them...what's different about them? What's the same? I was a psych major, and the basic drive to try and understand people (to the degree it's possible) was beneath a lot of the things I studied (history, psychology, religion).

I've always kinda thought that actively teaching empathy is an important step in raising kids. The ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes, to the degree that it's possible, has been shown to impact on anti-social behaviours.