• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you thoughts on athletes getting paid for their likeness?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Apparently, the rapper Master P's son signed a $2 million dollar deal with Web Apps America as he is also signed to play for Tennessee State. The deal is in a period of four years so I'm assuming that he must be attending the university for four years until he graduates to get the full $2 million. As a former Collegiate athletes myself, its crazy how times have changed how players are getting paid for their likeness. My fear is like some students who get their Pell grants, they drop out of college when they get their money. What are your thoughts

Reference: Master P's Son Signs $2M Deal After NIL Rule Change

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Sports is a short career. You make tons of money for awhile but you better manage it well, or you'll probably be broke by age 50.

Suave

Simulated character
Apparently, the rapper Master P's son signed a $2 million dollar deal with Web Apps America as he is also signed to play for Tennessee State. The deal is in a period of four years so I'm assuming that he must be attending the university for four years until he graduates to get the full $2 million. As a former Collegiate athletes myself, its crazy how times have changed how players are getting paid for their likeness. My fear is like some students who get their Pell grants, they drop out of college when they get their money. What are your thoughts

I have no qualms with student athletes getting paid for the use of their name, image or likeness. I don't see why they should not be entitled to profit from their own fame.

If they play a sport that makes millions for universities, coaches, administrators, etc. they should get paid for their labour as well as their likenesses.

Given that many athletes are from low-income backgrounds, the fact that come are are denied millions in potential earnings is profoundly immoral, especially as their career can end before they reach the point they can get paid (American football particularly).

Imagine having an ability that anywhere else in the world would enable you to move your family out of poverty and create generational wealth and you were banned from exercising that right, then suffering a bad injury and ending up with nothing.

Earning from image rights is a small step in the right direction as previously they couldn't even get a part time job to cover their expenses.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I have no qualms with student athletes getting paid for the use of their name, image or likeness. I don't see why they should not be entitled to profit from their own fame.
Now let's get started on paying me adequate compensatory royalties for companies that sell my own personal name to other interests.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Sports is a short career. You make tons of money for awhile but you better manage it well, or you'll probably be broke by age 50.

But this is not professional athletes....Video games have been making money off the likeness of college players

And you know they come from low income backgrounds how? I wasn't coming from low-income and there are others from Compton the city I grew up in didn't come from low-income

Because it is a well known fact. That many athletes do not come from low income backgrounds doesn't change that many of them do.

Are you saying it is not true that many athletes come from low income backgrounds?

Note the term many, not most or all....

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Because it is a well known fact. That many athletes do not come from low income backgrounds doesn't change that many of them do.

Are you saying it is not true that many athletes come from low income backgrounds?

Note the term many, not most or all....

Speaking anecdotally, many of our parents in Compton were middle class. Master P's son definitely is NOT low income he is richie rich

Speaking anecdotally, many of our parents in Compton were middle class. Master P's son definitely is NOT low income he is richie rich

People from all different backgrounds play sports, although working class people tend to be overrepresented in most sports (except the expensive ones).

While I think it is immoral to prevent any person from earning a living from their talents while others make millions on the back of their labour, whether you are poor, middle income or the child of a multi-millionaire. It is especially egregious when people are denied the chance to support their families who desperately need the money and undergo hardship because this money is denied to them.

Wouldn't you agree?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Have to admit, I'm a little out-of-date on the changes in any detail. I remember back to the O'Bannon case, and used to follow NCAA basketball pretty religiously (now it's more passing interest, to be honest). Without talking off the cuff too much, I could only really offer the following;
a) They absolutely had to find a mechanism for students to get some benefit from the use of their name and likenesses.
b) They needed to find a way for athletes to be able to earn some money whilst being students (perhaps hard-capped).

To me, (a) is more around fairness. If someone is profiting from my likeness, I should get some consideration.
(b) is simple recognition that there is already a lot of money floating about in college athletics...but it's under the table. Allowing some basic level of transactions (be it from part time jobs or whatever...haven't thought this through to be honest) has to be better than leaving the kids getting 'loans' from agents.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Have to admit, I'm a little out-of-date on the changes in any detail. I remember back to the O'Bannon case, and used to follow NCAA basketball pretty religiously (now it's more passing interest, to be honest). Without talking off the cuff too much, I could only really offer the following;
a) They absolutely had to find a mechanism for students to get some benefit from the use of their name and likenesses.
b) They needed to find a way for athletes to be able to earn some money whilst being students (perhaps hard-capped).

To me, (a) is more around fairness. If someone is profiting from my likeness, I should get some consideration.
(b) is simple recognition that there is already a lot of money floating about in college athletics...but it's under the table. Allowing some basic level of transactions (be it from part time jobs or whatever...haven't thought this through to be honest) has to be better than leaving the kids getting 'loans' from agents.

I agree. But wow you're the first in a long time remember the O'Bannon's of UCLA