• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you doing in Internet discussions, to walk your talk?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I picked up on that . its even very obvious
That has advantages. 1. I become better with computers. I had 16 OSs on my relatively old i3 computer, still have 10 after removing 6 which I did not like. 2. That keeps my brain sharp with debate. 3. That helps me to become better with use of words. 4. It helps me to know of new things. 5. It helps me to refine my own thoughts (Hindu Atheism).

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What are you doing in Internet discussions, that’s part of practicing your religion or whatever you believe in, or walking your path?

Online discussions are for me a way of relaxing. My practice is primarily what I do at other times especially volunteering.

But I do try to fight against confirmation bias and to be light hearted about online discourse. I fail, of course, but I do try.

Reactions: Jim

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
What are you doing in Internet discussions, that’s part of practicing your religion or whatever you believe in, or walking your path?

If your path or what you believe in includes anything besides talking or writing, for example like improving your own character and conduct, how are you practicing that in Internet discussions?

I'm not. My mission is to study, then teach and advise. And you can go ahead and call me hypocrite all you want but think about it.

If you spend all of your energy trying to impress others with your actions, when do you get the chance to act as a teacher?

For that matter, how can you be sure there are no unforeseen consequences of actions you think are good? I'm a Taoist, and I recognize everything has flaws as well as virtues. Suppose I built a labor saving device, that automatically washed dishes. People now don't have to work as hard washing by hand. A few more of these, such as a device to wash clothing, and a device to remove dust from a room and what happens? They start to gain weight and become unhealthy, where before they were kept in shape by exercise. Likewise, suppose I try to save the Northern Alpine Hummingbird (not sure if that's a real thing) by protecting habitats. Thousands of people go homeless because this land cannot be built on, and vice versa.

I'm not a fan of social gospel for this exact reason. While you pat yourself on the back for having supposedly made healthcare affordable, people who didn't want to pay for healthcare in the first place (like me) have it shoved down their throats. Or that hummingbird got saved while people are without houses.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
One part of internet forum to me is get to know other people from different paths, but also a way to present ideas that i come across within my own path. I am less in to spreading my own belief now then i was before, because i see it only create tentions that is unhealthy for discussions, so when i now speak i try to use less referenses to the name of the path i follow, and instead present my own understanding of it. but i will answer about my own belief if someone ask.

You are very humble but often when I know the source of another’s truth I often wish to learn from it and many times buy their literature on Amazon so I can read it. Without any source it’s like being without a map so occasionally I think you should mention it and not assume all to be negative as there are those who value and respect such things.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I added this to the OP, to try to clarify what I’m looking for:
Part of what I would like to do in Internet discussions is collaborating with other people on some common interests. My interest is more in what people are practicing in Internet discussions than in what they are preaching.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Part of what I’ve been trying to practice in Internet discussions is fellowship across the widest belief divides that I see between me and other people.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You are very humble but often when I know the source of another’s truth I often wish to learn from it and many times buy their literature on Amazon so I can read it. Without any source it’s like being without a map so occasionally I think you should mention it and not assume all to be negative as there are those who value and respect such things.
The only book i read in my practising of falun gong is the teaching Zhuan falun. But what is important is to be able to use my own words more when describing my understanding of the teaching. A quoute is not wrong. but er have to understand the meaning of the words er speak. That why i wanted a discussion agere we did not use qoutes