• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you afraid of?

What do you fear?

• pain

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • death

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • oblivion

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • public speaking

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • conservatives

• religious people

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • atheists

• spiders

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • rapists

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • flying

• gangs

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • axe murderers

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • blood

• God

• Satan

• the government

• the French

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • terrorists

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • snakes

• closets

• global warming

• fire

• water

• tornados

• aliens

• dogs

• being alone

• poverty

• the Wrath of Khan

• Total voters

Buttercup

Veteran Member
But their accents are so funny. I mean, come on...
Ok, I'll come over. But, only if you let me ladle steaming hot French Onion Soup into one of your friend's boxer shorts so they'll be incapacitated enough to not harm me. *shivers in fear*

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I could live with the poor axe murdering pet snake owners, but those French.....well, just don't ask me to dinner.
Do you know if you order a "Royale with Cheese" at a McDonalds in France, they really will give you a Quarter Pounder with cheese? I haven't asked about the "Le Big Mac" though.
I have found it very interesting meeting someone who has lived in France. Can't say she's very scary though. Funny thing is, even she makes fun of the French surrendering jokes.

**Edited**
Sorry, that is way off topic, but I have been fascinated by that since I learned that little bit of trivia.

Ever learning

Hey Fluffy I think you forgot to add "fear". I used to suffer from panic attacks many years ago, but I have overcome that.
I am still afraid of hights, but I just avoid them, so that is no real problem.
Spiders give me the creeps as well but I do have screened windows, so that´s not a problem either.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Fear rules our every mistake Bathsheba. I'm loaded with fears, and I'm not afraid to admit it, see I got over some fear there :)
That is an entertaining viewpoint Melissa. I am puzzled how you equate mistakes with fears. Are you saying that you are afraid of doing things right or doing things wrong. From my grizzled vantage point, I have made enough mistakes that I don't get in much of a lather about it any more. I realized that doing so simply did not help in the slightest -- so I got rid of fear. What's the point in fearing?

You can't have a brain with(out) feeling fear at some time, those who have no fears are psychologically disturbed in my view!
That being the case I would suggest that you have precious little understanding about human psychology. Without question, fear can be a distinctly motivating force driving the individual to action but if the fear is too great then it can also result in paralysis.

What I discovered about my fears when I confronted them in my 20's and 30's was that they were based on essentially nothing. If anything they were the result of things that I did not want to face head on and the longer I put off that inevitable collision the greater the fears became. After awhile, even a dullard like me began to notice the pattern and then I annhilated my final fears and have not thought much about it since. I certainly have no regrets and I don't miss being afraid one iota. Hell, I don't even fear "god" whatever that alledged entity is. So, if you think that makes me somewhat addled then so be it, but I would suggest that that is hardly the case.

After awhile, one understands that fears are the domain of the truly insane as there is absolutely nothing to fear, not even fear itself.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
There isn't really anything I truly fear in that list. Fear to me is something that to a large degree incapacitates you or is something to go right out of your way to avoid even thinking about.

Some things make me nervous and there are things I don't like for example:
heights
unfamiliar dogs
dodgy looking people

But those are along the same lines of public speaking - I don't fear it but I'll get a little nervous and I prefer not to do it but that doesn't mean I won't.

Fear to me is inhibitory - it stops you doing what you want to do. And I don't like being made to stop doing something.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Not a big fan of spiders, or snakes, and I'm not too keen on Quebec, or ultra-conservatives. Hillbillies scare me, that I know for sure. Comet's current avatar also scares me, as did the big, old Chow that I used to live next door to.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
That is an entertaining viewpoint Melissa. I am puzzled how you equate mistakes with fears. Are you saying that you are afraid of doing things right or doing things wrong. From my grizzled vantage point, I have made enough mistakes that I don't get in much of a lather about it any more. I realized that doing so simply did not help in the slightest -- so I got rid of fear. What's the point in fearing?

That being the case I would suggest that you have precious little understanding about human psychology. Without question, fear can be a distinctly motivating force driving the individual to action but if the fear is too great then it can also result in paralysis.

What I discovered about my fears when I confronted them in my 20's and 30's was that they were based on essentially nothing. If anything they were the result of things that I did not want to face head on and the longer I put off that inevitable collision the greater the fears became. After awhile, even a dullard like me began to notice the pattern and then I annhilated my final fears and have not thought much about it since. I certainly have no regrets and I don't miss being afraid one iota. Hell, I don't even fear "god" whatever that alledged entity is. So, if you think that makes me somewhat addled then so be it, but I would suggest that that is hardly the case.

After awhile, one understands that fears are the domain of the truly insane as there is absolutely nothing to fear, not even fear itself.

i take it all back, i do have one great fear: of grizzled old Paul YmirGF.

:angel2:

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
Not a big fan of spiders, or snakes, and I'm not too keen on Quebec, or ultra-conservatives. Hillbillies scare me, that I know for sure. Comet's current avatar also scares me, as did the big, old Chow that I used to live next door to.

Hillbillies? Like in *shiver* Deliverance? oh my, we have plenty of those here in the Great Smoky Mtns of Tennessee but i never see them. i only hope that it's not like the zombie thing where you turn into one if you hang around too long...

For more detailed information on hillbillies, go here: Hillbilly White Trash

btw, that has to be the cutest avatar on the internet!