• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the root causes of abortion?

• Total voters

roy1928

Poverty

Low self-esteem

Contraception fails.

Social Conditioning

Drug abuse

Alcohol abuse

Lack of chastity

Promiscuity

Immorality

Naivety

Men

Sexual exploitation of women

Rape

Other

Fluffy

A fool
Social conditioning without a doubt. If people didn't feel that abortion was a viable option then very few abortions would happen.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Social conditioning I would put at the top of the list, But I included Alcohol abuse, Lack of chastity, Promiscuity, Naivety, Men. I think alcohol abuse must be a close second; of course, any of the other options would contribute.

Fluffy

A fool
Is the option of "men" supposed to imply that men constitute a greater percentage of the cause of abortion than "women" or is it being used in the genderless sense? If it is the former then what is the justification for this way of thinking?

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Social conditioning without a doubt. If people didn't feel that abortion was a viable option then very few abortions would happen.

You might want to look into the fact that in cultures and countries where abortion is extremely frowned upon and/or illegal they still happen quite frequently.

roy1928

jamaesi said:
You might want to look into the fact that in cultures and countries where abortion is extremely frowned upon

jamaesi
do you have some sort of evidence of the facts.
or is that just what you Believe?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Having a low self esteem and not having the guts to follow up with the consequences of your actions.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
jamaesi
do you have some sort of evidence of the facts.
or is that just what you Believe?
I've only lived in a heavily Catholic nation that frowned on abortion and saw it firsthand. Obviously I have no idea what I'm talking about. :<

But here, you can read from Wikipedia.

The incidence of and reasons for induced abortion vary regionally. It has been estimated approximately 46 million abortions are performed globally each year. Of these, 26 million are said to occur in places where abortion is legal; the other 20 million happen where it is illegal. Some countries, such as Belgium (11.2 per 100 known pregnancies) and the Netherlands (10.6%), have a low rate of induced abortion, while others like Russia (62.6%) and Vietnam (43.7%) have a comparatively high rate. The world ratio is 26 induced abortions per 100 known pregnancies.[2]

And from here.
The region with the next highest estimated abortion rate is Latin America (37 per 1,000), where almost all abortions are illegal.

I can see what used to prevent abortion- patriarchy and misogyny. Now women have rights and control over their bodies and lives and more free to use that control.

Also from the same Wikipedia article linked above.

A 1998 study aggregated data from studies in 27 countries on the reasons women seek to terminate their pregnancies. It concluded that common factors cited to have influenced the abortion decision were the desire to delay or end childbearing, concern over the interruption of work or education, issues of financial or relationship stability, and perceived immaturity. [6] A 2004 study in which American women at clinics answered a questionnaire yielded similar results. [7] In Finland and the United States, concern for the health risks posed by pregnancy in individual cases was not a factor commonly given; however, in Bangladesh, India, and Kenya health concerns were cited by women more frequently as reasons for having an abortion. [6] 1% of women in the 2004 survey-based U.S. study became pregnant as a result of rape and 0.5% as a result of incest. [7] Another American study in 2002 concluded that 54% of women who had an abortion were using a form of contraception at the time of becoming pregnant while 46% were not. Inconsistent use was reported by 49% of those using condoms and 76% of those using oral contraception; 42% of those using condoms reported failure through slippage or breakage.[8]

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Now women have rights and control over their bodies and lives and more free to use that control.

The question that I will always pose to those who are supportive of the right to abort...why not push for women exercizing their rights and control over their bodies to PREVENT unwanted pregnancy and make wise choices concerning their bodies PRIOR to conception?

I think I agree most thus far w/ Luke Wolf's statement...

Having a low self esteem and not having the guts to follow up with the consequences of your actions.

Actions and consequences go hand in hand. We all have choices to make. Irresponsible sex is a choice.

Statistically, most abortions occuring are a result of those who simply found themselves with unwanted pregnancies. And if I'm not mistaken, about half of these women have ALREADY had one or more abortions in the past.

The root cause in my opinion, of abortion...is lack of education...and refusal to take responsibility for one's actions.

With all the contraceptive measures available...even those available AFTER sex to prevent pregnancy...it's beyond me why so many abortions still occur.

Perhaps my thoughts would be different, if statistics show that rape and molestation victims make up the hightest precentage for abortion statistics...but this isn't the case at all.

Bottom line...people from a young age, need to be taught the importance of taking care of their bodies and exercising good decision making, REGARDLESS of class, sex, race. etc. And religion aside, I don't think that abstinence is such a horrible concept to teach youth.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
dawny0826 said:
Actions and consequences go hand in hand. We all have choices to make. Irresponsible sex is a choice.
So is abortion.
Statistically, most abortions occuring are a result of those who simply found themselves with unwanted pregnancies. And if I'm not mistaken, about half of these women have ALREADY had one or more abortions in the past.
Could you provide a source for that last statement?
The root cause in my opinion, of abortion...is lack of education...and refusal to take responsibility for one's actions.
My friend who had an abortion because she would die if she carried the fetus to term would be interested in knowing this. Especially since she was using birth control at the time that failed.
With all the contraceptive measures available...even those available AFTER sex to prevent pregnancy...it's beyond me why so many abortions still occur.
What about those who don't know birth control has failed until there's a pregnancy?
Bottom line...people from a young age, need to be taught the importance of taking care of their bodies and exercising good decision making, REGARDLESS of class, sex, race. etc. And religion aside, I don't think that abstinence is such a horrible concept to teach youth.
I would agree with that if it also included teaching many ways to have sex and still prevent pregnancy. Because let's face it: Kids are gonna have sex no matter what you say about abstinence.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
The question that I will always pose to those who are supportive of the right to abort...why not push for women exercizing their rights and control over their bodies to PREVENT unwanted pregnancy and make wise choices concerning their bodies PRIOR to conception?

Uh, I do support prevention. (Hi I just spent 50 dollars I didn't have to get my BC pills after my insurance dropped me again, and that was just because I need them for health reasons- I don't really feel like blood poisoning again anytime soon.)

It's just that BC does have a failure rate. A little over half of the abortions performed were on women who were using some sort of birth control.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
So is abortion.

Ethics and morals aside...is it not emotionally AND physically easier to take precautions to AVOID unwanted pregnancy as opposed to having an abortion performed?

Further, what about economically? Which is more economically feasible in the long run?

Could you provide a source for that last statement?

I found the site...but in truth, looking at the last time the site was updated...I don't even know if I'm going to stand on my own statement.

Still, for what it's worth...look underneath the "Likelihood" section.

http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html

This site has similar statistics.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

My friend who had an abortion because she would die if she carried the fetus to term would be interested in knowing this. Especially since she was using birth control at the time that failed.

Jensa, that type of abortion, as you probably already know is a THERAPEUTIC abortion. I have no issue at all with the therapeutic abortion. The most common medical issue which requires a therapeutic abortion is ectopic pregnancy.

There are very few issues which would require a THERAPEUTIC abortion after the first trimester of pregnancy. And generally, ectopic pregnancies are identified and terminated prior to the 8th week of pregnancy.

I don't know what ailment your friend suffered from but I don't have any gripes, any issues whatsoever with that type of abortion. It's necessary.

However, I'm waiting for someone to give me the name of an ailment that would REQUIRE a THERAPEUTIC abortion over an ELECTIVE abortion in the late 2nd to 3rd trimesters of pregnancy.

What about those who don't know birth control has failed until there's a pregnancy?

I believe that it's the responsiblity of those having sex to make the decision prior to sex whether or not a pregnancy is feasible. If it's NOT feasible for the couple...I think it's important to research their contraceptive methods. If their contraceptive method isn't 100% effective, they should use additional contraception.

I would agree with that if it also included teaching many ways to have sex and still prevent pregnancy. Because let's face it: Kids are gonna have sex no matter what you say about abstinence.

You're right. And I'm TOTALLY with you on this 100%. I feel that BOTH abstinence AND "safe" sex should be taught in school. But BEFORE this is taught in school, I think youth should learn this from HOME as well. I think churches should also talk to their youth about contraception as opposed to dodging the issue altogether. I think illustrating the pros and cons of sexual activity and discussing safe sex methods would be beneficial in that environment as well.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Saying that preventing pregnancy will reduce abortions is fine and dandy, but the religiously based "abstinence only" sex ed programs are the antithesis if this idea.

People want to have sex, that's a fact of life. If you tell men and women that it's wrong to use birth control, when they have sex, there's a high chance of an unwanted pregnancy. You can either be against birth control or abortion. To be against both is to expect too much, and you accomplish nothing.
If you really really want to stop abortion, then support real sex education in schools.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

roy1928 said:

A woman decides to go into a clinic in order to terminate her pregnancy. :p

Or did you mean what causes the demand for abortion? If so, for obvious reasons, I do not feel qualified to speculate the answer at this point. However, it is pretty safe to say what is not the answer: so-called "promiscuity" and "immorality." Women like to have sex; women will have sex. Some people need to get over it already. :sarcastic